Steering rebuild

Foxtrail Forge

Mar 9, 2015
Picayune
The steering went out on my L345DT. I removed the column and dismantled the entire assembly. The ball nut assy is trashed and the bearing races are shot. The manual says the ball nut is sold as an assembly and should not be disassembled. If it is available, it costs $645. So I ask, has anyone taken one of these apart that was intact? If so, how many bearings are there in the ball nut assembly? If I could figure out how many bearings are in there, and if there are any other pieces that are missing, I could replace the ball bearings and put this one back together. There is wear in the main screw thread, but not so much that it would not work with new balls. Once I get the steering box back together, I still have to figure out why the power assist is not assisting. Lastly, does anyone have a steering column they wish to sell? I don't expect to find a good one but if someone has a parts cow they are busting....

Foxtrail Forge

Mar 9, 2015
Picayune
You could try West Kentucky Tractor Parts, they might have one.
http://wkytpstore.com/
Spoke with them last week, no joy.

So this afternoon I called them back to see if a part had come in. No, none had arrived, but then The nice lady asks me if my housing was broken. I told her no and she says they can rebuild mine, so tomorrow I am off to FedEx to ship her mine and will happily have a rebuilt uinit in short order. :)

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd take a look at something like this. Some years ago I installed a similar valve on my B8200. Found an Ebay seller in Florida who parted out mowing equipment. Bought the entire unit, valve, cylinder, hoses, steering wheel for about $250. Works excellent. I did rebuild the cylinder "O" rings a couple of years ago.

Your post indicates you have good mechanical aptitude, so it would be no problem for you to install.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eaton-Char-...222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf8baef0e

Foxtrail Forge

Mar 9, 2015
Picayune
I'd take a look at something like this. Some years ago I installed a similar valve on my B8200. Found an Ebay seller in Florida who parted out mowing equipment. Bought the entire unit, valve, cylinder, hoses, steering wheel for about $250. Works excellent. I did rebuild the cylinder "O" rings a couple of years ago.

Your post indicates you have good mechanical aptitude, so it would be no problem for you to install.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eaton-Char-...222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf8baef0e
Good idea, unfortunately no one seems to have one up for sale today. There are a number of units for the L245 available. It looks similar, but the part numbers on the Kobota page are different. I looked at the individual parts and the numbers there are different also. I am thinking about getting a pack of 1/4 inch balls and stuffing it full and see how that goes. The two bearing tubes are damaged, but I think I can repair them also. Gotta do what ya gotta do.... Thanks for the tip!

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
I am parting out two L345DT tractors. I have a good used steering assy. I am in central California. If your interested let me know. I have lots of parts for the old L series tractors.
Thank you Lance
Email lancenewhall@gmail.com