Steering Cylinder Assy Leak

Whistlin

Equipment
L2900
Mar 10, 2023
Tennessee
My L2900 has a steering cylinder assembly leak so purchased a replacement assembly. I thought the shaft would move freely to allow adjustments to allow reconnecting but it does not. Is there a special tool or means to extend the shaft so that it will fit for reconnecting everything?

Resolution: Just tightness of new part. - Placed cylinder in bench vise. A couple drops of oil and pulled/twisted shaft.

PART 2: Now my question is safety while removing old part and installing new part. Can't find any youtubes for the L2900s.......Can the Steering Cylinder Assy be removed and reinstalled without securing the wheels, jackstands, jacks, etc?......Otherwise, will anything fall or collapse if I start pulling bolts & mounting brackets?

PART 3 no need to jack & use jack stands, but did. I replaced the leaking steering assembly cylinder without too much difficulty......but now it does not steer. With engine running the steering wheel freely moves but the wheels do not change direction. The cylinder seems to have a lot of up/down play where it pivots in the Pitman Arm Assembly......Did I some how switch the hydraulic lines or did something else happen?

Last edited:

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
I thought I'd try to answer your question, but I'm not sure what you're asking.
I pulled the diagram for the L2900F and DT. They look the same.
When you say "shaft" are you referring to the "ROD" (Part A of the second picture) of the cylinder?

1678490335267.png

1678490476029.png

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Is the line disconnected? It my be stiff to move past the seals at first.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I think what you're experiencing is the normal tightness of a new cylinder, the seals are grabbing onto the polished metal surfaces of the cyl wall and rod . It will take a bit of force to break it free, try twisting the rod when you try moving it. The rod will continue to be tight until it is cycled a few times with oil in it.

Whistlin

Equipment
L2900
Mar 10, 2023
Tennessee
I think what you're experiencing is the normal tightness of a new cylinder, the seals are grabbing onto the polished metal surfaces of the cyl wall and rod . It will take a bit of force to break it free, try twisting the rod when you try moving it. The rod will continue to be tight until it is cycled a few times with oil in it.
That sounds reasonable. I'll see if I can put it in the bench vise and use a few drops of oil. thx

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A very very small amount of air on the back port of the cylinder will push it right out.

Whistlin

Equipment
L2900
Mar 10, 2023
Tennessee
That sounds reasonable. I'll see if I can put it in the bench vise and use a few drops of oil. thx
So that was the issue..............Now my question is safety while removing old part and installing new part. Can't find any youtubes for the L2900s.......Can the Steering Cylinder Assy be removed and reinstalled without securing the wheels, jackstands, jacks, etc?......Otherwise, will anything fall if I start pulling bolts & mounting brackets?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I suggest that you jack the tractor up and install jack stands under it. Make sure that the jack stands are sitting on concrete, or something solid, not on the ground. Remove the wheels to get more clearance to the parts, and then start to remove the old one and install the new one. Don't under any circumstances put your body under the tractor. Be cautious and have a helper to assist, and call for help should something go wrong. You might also want to first read the workshop manual to know what you are doing. If you don't have a WSM, then buy one, because you will need it.