Steering arm boots

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
I have been driving this tractor around for about 4 yrs with these boots torn. The new boots have been sitting in the parts bin for a year or so, but because of the poor reviews for wear that these receive, this is what was done instead. Hopefully they last longer than the OEM and for certainty, they are cheaper, and easier to install, no disassembly required. Before putting on the final wire clamp, the boots were filled with grease, and before someone mentions it, yes, the boot does drain down.

Attachments

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have been driving this tractor around for about 4 yrs with these boots torn. The new boots have been sitting in the parts bin for a year or so, but because of the poor reviews for wear that these receive, this is what was done instead. Hopefully they last longer than the OEM and for certainty, they are cheaper, and easier to install, no disassembly required. Before putting on the final wire clamp, the boots were filled with grease, and before someone mentions it, yes, the boot does drain down.
Wingnut, your solution is exactly what I did 3 years ago and they hold up just fine. But even if they don’t... so easy to do and no disassembly-required!

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Apparently these are covered under warranty if you still have it. My bx is at the dealer getting some mods done and they are going to swap out my boot for free.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
Ya, have one of those and can be used for many applications. Great for replacing grease in roller bearing, just pop the seal, clean out any remaining old gunk, and fill with new grease, then pop the seal back in. If a metallic seal, drill a tiny hole in the seal, taking care to keep the chips on the outside, fill with grease, and seal hole with a drop of epoxy. Works great for relubing bell end bearings on old generators.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Another use for a grease-injector needle (got mine at NAPA) is to inject glue into antique chair joints etc to restore them to solid use. I bought a grease-pistol just for the purpose and use only Elmers-glue in it. Works great. Wash it out with water and dry it between uses.

Reactions: 1 user