Starting my Search....

wardsfarmnj

Equipment
2016 L3901 FEL 2004 BX1500 FEL 71" Tiller 37" Tiller 71" Finish Mower Flail Mow
Jul 8, 2015
Mannington Twp. NJ
Looking for advice on my next purchase.

Background: Right now I have a 5 acre plot that I have essentially tilled about an acre and planted vegetables and ran a small roadside stand. Most of the land is woods and a lot is marsh/wetlands. So I have gotten by with my little BX1500. Mid Feb we will be moving to a 11 acre farm in which I plan on planting at least 3.5-5 acres of it. There is already a 2.5 acre pasture that was used for sheep but the farmer that was renting the land has taken them off the other cleared land is being farmed as part of a 2 bigger fields that a real farmer(1000 acres+) uses. There is a large pond and a small amount of woods on the property but mainly I will be planting and possibly in the future having animals, possibly even horses.

I am going to keep the BX as my lawn mower and garden tractor but will need something larger. I love the orange tractors and just want to make sure I'm looking at the right size. I am not as worried about the planting aspect but more to the point if I get animals I want something that the loader can handle round bales. I have been looking at the L's as I think as long as they can handle round bales they wouldn't be over sized for my property. I steer towards used as I am not so sure about all emissions stuff but would like to hear what people think.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I live on about 15 acres and tend a 3/4 acre garden we like to live off the land so we can and freeze all we can from the garden but do not sale we do share with friends and family.

Looking to clear portion for some cows and we also have a number of fruit trees around property. We have grapes, figs, pecans, strawberries, and chickens.

I too wanted used and had settled on a L3800 with FE, when a L4600 came up for sale just 10 minutes from house. I am more than pleased with my L4600 which is used for brush hogging, road maintenance, garden, well just about anything.

I like the size and has the power to do all I need it to do, it also helps maintain our 450 acre deer lease.

It is a basic tractor as most L's are but for 17,500 cash in great shape with 178 hours when I bought it in 2015 it is a perfect fit for my needs.

Good luck.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Do you know how big the round bales are going to be? They can range from hundreds of lbs. on a smaller baler where you don't pack them all the way out to 3000 ish on the largest one I'm aware of if you pack them out.

wardsfarmnj

Equipment
Jul 8, 2015
Mannington Twp. NJ
Do not know how big the bales will be, I'm trying to look to the future. I spent my summers in Minnesota helping my grandparents on their horse farm, so its one of those things where I know a tractor that is something that will last forever so if I can get something with the big picture in mind.

I was looking at L's under 40hp, but now you have me thinking something above might be the way to go.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Maybe work backward here, how many acres do you think will realistically turn into pasture, and how do you want to keep your animals? In a barnyard like condition or mostly grazing except in winter? If grazing you can find out from your local extension agent about how many acres per animal you need. If you decide on horses you may not want round bales. If you can only have 3 or 4 steers, it could be a tossup.

I have 15 acres, 2 horses, 10 to 20 sheep and use square bales, and an L size tractor is plenty big enough.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
As mentioned, when you have an idea of the maximum number of animals you anticipate needing hay for helps.

When buying round bales you can find them from 700# on up to 2500#. Once you find a place your satisfied to buy them, the farmer can make them any weight you choose, within reason.

I have some 800-1000# bales I move on the back of my L4240 from a mile down the road, and it doesn't know it's on there. Just as an idea.

wardsfarmnj

Equipment
Jul 8, 2015
Mannington Twp. NJ
A lot of that stuff is up in the air, I think I've come to the realization I will need to get something maybe a bit over sized for my needs now and hopefully it fits for a while till the true plan unfolds. I'm starting with only organic crops.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
my 4060 moves 4x5 round bales with ease, it handles larger with a little rpm. my neighbor makes 4x6 (looks odd to me) I help him stack every once in a while, those I've gotta run my 4060 up to 1500 rpm or it's really slow lifting. note when I say with ease, I mean at idle.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
If you're only moving 20 or so round bales pallet forks work just fine. I get round bales cuz that's what my neighbor bales my pasture with. He makes 3x4 and <800 lbs. A spear would be great but just one more thing to store. Now a subsoiler is on my wish list. My tiller works great but I want to rip the next pasture I do first. FWIW you can run a 2 string small baler with an L47 with no problem.