starter L3450

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
My starter on my L3450 is clicking when I turn the key. Eventually contact is made and it starts.

Can someone direct me to a source for a starter rebuild kit for this starter?

Anyone have the manufacturer of this starter?

Thanks

Boyde

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I have never had much luck finding starter rebuild kits. I always end up replacing the starter. There are inexpensive aftermarket starter online. I have used a couple with good lasting results. Kubota is always better but these are usually half to a third the cost. What you described could be a number of things apart from a starter. Have you tried to jump it at the starter? If that works every time, you likely have a different problem. Could be a switch or relay or something in the wiring broken that make connection when it heats. A bad ground comes to mind.

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
I figure it is the solenoid in the starter, because I put a volt meter between the wire going to the S terminal and ground and I get 12 volts when I turn the ignition. So I figure the relay is OK, the switches are OK. The solenoid is not making contact every time.

Do you have another thought?

Boyde

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Be sure you have good grounds. A battery with a bad ground can move a multimeter or test light but not a starter. Be sure to check the battery terminal and where the battery is grounded to the frame. Take it loose and polish the wire end and where it attaches to the frame. You might have a starter problem but nothing is as frustrating as replacing as starter and ending up with the same problem.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I'd like to reaffirm RentThis' observation about multimeters.

Your meter can read 12-vdc and the circuit won't be able to furnish enough amperage to make the starter go 'round.

If you have or can get one try using a DC clamp-type ammeter hung on the solenoid actuation or control wire, on the cable to the starter lug, and on the positive battery cable. Do not use the 10-amp port labeled on some multimeters or you might let all the magic smoke out of your meter and find it thereafter dead.

Clean all four ends of all battery cables, clean all other connections, and try jumping directly from battery to starter lug to see if you get starter engagement. Be safe doing this (clutch locked down, sparks) and try to find a way to not touch the jumper cable from the battery directly to the starter lug as doing so tends to botch the threads or weld the nut.

If the battery spins the starter directly, then you have a solenoid circuit problem.

Please post back and advise your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
I just took the starter apart, the brushes were fine, the commutator i dressed a little. The plunger and contacts were dirty and worn and pitted. I sanded the contacts. Put it back together, installed it and i get the same results. It is a hit and miss whether the armature will spin.

I guess i need a new or rebuilt starter.

I am searching for a replacement.

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
Here is an update. I am still looking for a rebuild kit or replacement starter.

The continuing saga of the starter. It now works, spins the motor, everytime.

I took it back off, took it to the bench. Tried connecting a battery directly to the terminal going to the field/brushes. No movement. Took the brushes out, within tolerances. Took armature out, lightly sanded the plates. Sanded the commutator again. Put it back together again. Tried the battery again. This is a battery I just moved indoors from the trailer. No go. I was ready to scrap the starter. I tested the volts on that battery, 10.xx volts, not enough to drive the motor. I grabbed another battery I just moved indoors, from another tractor, this one has 13 volts. This one spun the starter motor.

Took the cover off the magnetic switch again. Cleaned the contacts again. Tested the ohms between different points, discovered that the plunger contact was not touching the input terminal contact, unless plunger contact was pushed very very hard down.

I removed that contact, put it in a vise and gently bent it up. Reinstalled the contact. Tested the ohms again. Seemed good to go. Put it all back together, installed in tractor, tried it.

I turned the key and it hit first time. Turn it off, tried again, it hit first time. Tried again same result.

I think I got it.

For the time being i have a working starter.

I definitely must find a rebuild kit or a replacement starter.

Regards
Boyde

Hai

Equipment
Kubota L3400 HST
Mar 2, 2014
Virginia
I had a similar problem with my L3400. My mechanic friend, after sanding the brown rust deposits away from the contacts and plunger ring, he bent the 2 contacts up slightly to ensure good electrical connection. The starter has not failed so far. But some time next year I will probably get a starter rebuilt kit that Wolfman posted elsewhere on this forum. I had 2 problems:starter and fuel shut-off solenoid. I could not have solved these problems without the help from the members of this forum.

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
Another update.

I have ordered a rebuild kit, it is in the mail, just incase I need it. My fix will not last forever.

I, also, have found a list of cross interchange starters that are built to the same specifications as the Kubota 17241-63010 and cost a whole bunch less.

Here are three:

Denso 128000-6640 $102.00 USD
Delco Remy 93555 $157.00 USD
HRE 72-18144N $158.00 CAD

Happy starting.

Boyde