start up problems

stars on my arm

Equipment
G5200H
Apr 25, 2010
Holland Michigan
I am e newbie when it comes to the diesel tractor thing, but I'm wondering why I have the hardest time starting mine. I have a mid 80's G5200H and it's in good shape, needs a little tlc, but I have had it running several times since my friends mom gave it to me. How long should I warm up the glowplugs before I start it? It's spring time here in MIchigan and usually around 60 outside. It seems like I always run the battery down by the time it should fire up. any advice will help.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It shouldn't take over 60 seconds of preheating. In 60 degree weather I would think 20 to 30 seconds would be more than enough. Have you ever changed the fuel filter or checked the air filter? Both of these would affect the starting if they are dirty.

If you are killing your battery, how long do you preheat it?

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
B 7100 I turn key to left preheat gloplugs until it clicks 3-4 times fires up. But each time if it sets for 15 minutes start same over again. handy

stars on my arm

Equipment
G5200H
Apr 25, 2010
Holland Michigan
Yeah, couldn't believe how well it started up. I have to admit I held the key counter-clockwise for a little longer this time praying that things would be better. I'm going to look into channging the glowplugs next.
Thanks for all the help!

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Yeah, couldn't believe how well it started up. I have to admit I held the key counter-clockwise for a little longer this time praying that things would be better. I'm going to look into channging the glowplugs next.
Thanks for all the help!
How long are you holding the key for glow plug action to get a good start? I would really hate to see you spend money on something that may not need changing.