Starlink Question

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for correcting the length of the antenna cable.

I know the Starlink antenna is not ethernet. I didn't say it was. I said you can buy ethernet that you can bury. The point is you can run ethernet from the Starlink unit to your mesh in another building. That's exactly what I did.
Gotcha, missed that you were talking about that.
You could also use Starlink's mesh system, is wireless.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Gotcha, missed that you were talking about that.
You could also use Starlink's mesh system, is wireless.
I could, but then I'd have to buy an another unit when I already have a mesh system that works well. Also, from what I tell with testing, it didn't have a good wifi signal inside my house from the unit in the garage. It has a metal clad siding on it.

So, ethernet gives me the same speed as the actual Starlink wifi system. In other words, about 200 Mbps in the house at max vs the 6 Mbps or so I was getting at the closest room in the house to the garage. In other words, a dramatic difference. So far, I don't need wifi in my other buildings, but if I did, I'd go direct burial, but the one building is far enough that it might be a bit pricey.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I could, but then I'd have to buy an another unit when I already have a mesh system that works well. Also, from what I tell with testing, it didn't have a good wifi signal inside my house from the unit in the garage. It has a metal clad siding on it.

So, ethernet gives me the same speed as the actual Starlink wifi system. In other words, about 200 Mbps in the house at max vs the 6 Mbps or so I was getting at the closest room in the house to the garage. In other words, a dramatic difference. So far, I don't need wifi in my other buildings, but if I did, I'd go direct burial, but the one building is far enough that it might be a bit pricey.
Yea I bought a outdoor WIFI antenna with a 1/4 mile range so that I could get WIFI across the property for listening to tunes and Cell phone reception.

Reactions: 1 user

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
remember if you want LAN you need to order the ethernet adapter.
Thanks and I already ordered that (despite not having the dish/gear yet) since I have read horror stories of them being backordered for months. Mine claims to be here today--although it was supposed to be here Saturday.

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
BTW if anyone is thinking of getting a Starlink let me know. After nearly 1 1/2years I am now in a locale that has good wifi via cable. I’m selling my gen 2 rectangular dishy complete unit with 75ft cable. Arrange to meet in NH, VT, Western Maine, Notheastern Massachusetts? Shipping would be $80 (!) says UPS. It’s still in the origional box and includes an ethernet adapter. There is a transfer option on the Starlink site.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
BTW if anyone is thinking of getting a Starlink let me know. After nearly 1 1/2years I am now in a locale that has good wifi via cable. I’m selling my gen 2 rectangular dishy complete unit with 75ft cable. Arrange to meet in NH, VT, Western Maine, Notheastern Massachusetts? Shipping would be $80 (!) says UPS. It’s still in the origional box and includes an ethernet adapter. There is a transfer option on the Starlink site.
How much are you asking?

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
I haven’t thought a lot about that. How much is a new 2nd gen? I’d think a used one should be worth close to 2/3 of that with the ethernet adapter? I’d guess that would be about $400? Shipping is so much that if I ship it maybe I could split that with a buyer. One nice feature is I can deliver it now. Is there a wait? I waited over 6 months.

Last edited:

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
I live in a development that had underground utilities installed when the neighborhood was laid out (30+ years ago). Within the last 24 months I've had newly-installed cable TV & electrical wires installed in-ground right past my lot; the interesting thing about the new installation was that the excavation contractors applied adhesive metal tape to the top of the conduit so that future conduit/cable locating would be simplified. Just an idea for those installing conduit in their yards! :)

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
One nice feature is I can deliver it now. Is there a wait? I waited over 6 months.
But here is what I understand and please tell me if I'm wrong (maybe @North Idaho Wolfman knows as well).

If I'm on a waiting list I do not think I can avoid that by buying a used one from someone else. If I am wrong Ill buy yours today.

I'm in Snowdoun. That corner of Ada to the south is about 5 miles away.

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 10.07.24 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

CiscoRanger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4150DT / BF900
Oct 3, 2022
Texas
But here is what I understand and please tell me if I'm wrong (maybe @North Idaho Wolfman knows as well).

If I'm on a waiting list I do not think I can avoid that by buying a used one from someone else. If I am wrong Ill buy yours today.
This was my experience also. Wait list was more about capacity than equip availability. I’d call them and ask tho.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Im in Snowdoun. That corner of Ada to the south is about 5 miles away
View attachment 101591
There is a way around the wait, you can do a Roam plan (RV service plan) but it's $30 a month more and your low priority, so anyone else in the area with a dish will get the info before you.
If I were you I would wait if i could till it opens up, which it should be here shortly.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Things are getting better with more birds in the sky. They removed the monthly 1TB data cap for my area today.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Any suggestions on what mount to use on these locations. I do not want to mount on the roof and have decided that it will be a bit of a headache to put it in the flowerbed away from the house and bury the cable.. I can drill into either the brick or eaves. (And yes I know...but I have no desire to go to the highest point in the middle too old to attempt that).
roofmount.jpg

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Use the obstruction app first to make sure it's going to see the sky from any of those locations, then any of those spots look good to me.
If the lowest one looks good on the app use it for easy mounting.
I just helped a friend of ours set his up today, ended up temping it in for now and will get a pole and put a pipe in the ground to run the wire in the next few days.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
So...finally after a year my starlink is on the way. I am hoping it will be everything I expected.

So if I understand correctly from what @North Idaho Wolfman said all I have to do is unplug my EERO from my ATT box and plug it into the starling ethernet adaptor I have purchased. Everything will still be connected to the EERO and working. Do I understand that correctly?

CiscoRanger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4150DT / BF900
Oct 3, 2022
Texas
So...finally after a year my starlink is on the way. I am hoping it will be everything I expected.

So if I understand correctly from what @North Idaho Wolfman said all I have to do is unplug my EERO from my ATT box and plug it into the starling ethernet adaptor I have purchased. Everything will still be connected to the EERO and working. Do I understand that correctly?
Congrats!

You will need the Starlink Ethernet adapter so that you can plug the eero into the starlink.

And It's been awhile for me, but I think you might have to put the starlink router in bypass mode. with the app. It may not be required, I dont recall off top of my head. I did put mine in bypass so that I didnt have both routers (starlink and eero) broadcasting at the same time.

Regardless it was a quick and easy setup.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
So I'm up and running but getting some very confusing results. My speeds are all over the place depending on which test I use. Below are some examples of that. The first 3 were all taken within 15 seconds of each other and the last one was taken this morning. Anyone else seeing big differences.
SL1.png
SL2.png
SL3.png
SL4.png

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
So I'm up and running but getting some very confusing results. My speeds are all over the place depending on which test I use. Below are some examples of that. The first 3 were all taken within 15 seconds of each other and the last one was taken this morning. Anyone else seeing big differences. View attachment 112519 View attachment 112520 View attachment 112521 View attachment 112522
Just from looking at your screen shots it appears you are running some of the speed tests over your data/cellular connection, not your starlink connection.

I have had starlink at my house for about a 6-8 months now and it works well for me. No wired options where I am at and in a cellular signal black hole. When I first moved in I tried regular satellite internet and it was terrible. Would barely work due to the latency etc.

CiscoRanger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4150DT / BF900
Oct 3, 2022
Texas
A couple of comments. I've read (and my personal experience was similar) it takes a couple of days for the system to "burn in" and be a little more consistent.

Also, on your speed tests - they arent all the same test.

Test #1 - Eero is a test that is connected directly to the starlink, but there is no way to know what the target server eero chose to test against. Eero tests for me seem to be the least consistent.

Test #2 - This looks to not be using wifi at all but straight cellular from your phone? No wifi icon in the top right.

Test #3 - Same...appears to be cellular test, not starlink.

Test #4 -You are connected to wifi here, and this looks like a good test.