SSQA Leaf Bulldozer Blade

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Once in a while, the wind isn’t right for the AgriMetal pto leaf blower to handily move the leaves in the direction I’d like. Can’t wait because weather forecasts predict rain/snow conditions to make things even worse. Or, it might just be easier to push the large leaf windrow to a collection spot rather than having to turn it over and over all the way across a wide open area.

This was the situation a week ago while clearing a neighbor’s acreage while they were on vacation. A blank SSQA plate mounted on the loader arms was tried for pushing the large leaf windrow through his trees to a pickup point. But the leaves rolled off the outside edges and the loader arms would gouge the grass. Time to rethink this idea. Tacking on another strip of metal to the lower edge of the plate…..or a piece of thick belting might work to prevent the loader arms from digging into the sod.

Looking in the scrap pile, a flat sheet of rusty metal just slightly larger than the SSQA plate was just lying there. Why not turn that into the dozer? Some small scraps were found to make the lower mounting brackets. A quick trip to the surplus store for the top angle mounting bar also produced a piece of HDPE plastic for the bottom edges. Usually, there’s a selection of belting to choose from but nothing that would suit this application was available at this time. But for a $20 bill, I had what I now needed to get by with.

Here's the results:
Trial Fit.JPG SSQA Mounts 2.jpg HDPE Bottom Edge.JPG

For $20 and some welding supplies, this worked pretty slick. Once the windrows became quite large, a couple of quick trips with the blade would push the major portion to its pickup spot. Then back to blowing. The HDPE edge will still get replaced with some stiff rubber belting when available.

The main (rusty) plate is 3/16” steel. The side plates are 1/8”. And the top bar is 3/8” (only because that’s what was available in the “shorts” bin. Guessing total weight is about 50 to 60 lbs. Now that it’s a keeper…..we’ll give it a proper sandblast and paint job next spring.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Looks good and always nice to be able to use what's on hand. It might also be handy as a 'light duty' snow pusher for those dustings not needing the blower.
Regards

Reactions: 1 users

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Very nice! I agree with your choice of hdpe for the bottom edge. Let us know how that holds up

Reactions: 1 user

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Nice. It's got all the right combination of simple to build, small to store, and light enough to push around by hand, that it's very unlikely to be a regret whether it works perfectly or not!

This does remind me that i have seem some large tires cut into a half circle and used as a drag. It occurs to me a big enough rear tractor tire, cut into a half circle with a small amount of bracing could be bolted to an SSQA mount and used as a snow/leaf pusher as well. But that would honestly be more effort than this!! Just less likely to 'wear out' the surface that rides on the ground. 😂

Reactions: 1 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Looks good and always nice to be able to use what's on hand. It might also be handy as a 'light duty' snow pusher for those dustings not needing the blower.
Regards
Thanks, Ping! It would've been embarrassing to show it as I used it. I took the wire wheel grinder to it and a light dusting of acid etch primer for the pics. Once done up right....it won't look too bad.

Very nice! I agree with your choice of hdpe for the bottom edge. Let us know how that holds up
Thanks, Yooper! The HDPE worked great as long as I could keep it just barely floating above the ground surface. But hit a bump or divot too fast and it would scuff the ground a little. Some belting with just a little more "flex/give" in it would be perfect. The search for that continues.

Nice. It's got all the right combination of simple to build, small to store, and light enough to push around by hand, that it's very unlikely to be a regret whether it works perfectly or not!

This does remind me that i have seem some large tires cut into a half circle and used as a drag. It occurs to me a big enough rear tractor tire, cut into a half circle with a small amount of bracing could be bolted to an SSQA mount and used as a snow/leaf pusher as well. But that would honestly be more effort than this!! Just less likely to 'wear out' the surface that rides on the ground. 😂
Thanks, Vigo! Your description fit it perfectly. A little fine tuning and a proper paint job will do it wonders.
Re your idea of tires: that's an idea worth looking into for some stiffer, yet flexible, belting for the bottom edge! Gonna check that out, thanks!

David

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Some of the heavier baler belts might be stiff enough for the bottom edge. You can usually find it at a farm store and purchase it by the foot. Or get a scrap piece from a nearby farmer and test it out.

Reactions: 1 user