Spell Check

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND BECAUSE IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RAISE A CHILD, AND SARA HAS 2 MOMMIES,, yeah tell me about the BS.
When we were kids, you got held back a grade that was like a kick to the , nu,,,,,,,,,, ahhh you know what I mean. But to hold a child back to day OMG that is degrading to the child's self image and he/she will be ridiculed by their peers.
And to top it off you have the hero's of these kids today, football basket ball what ever sport you pick it,,, And these clowns make more in one day than I do in a year, and they cannot complete a sentence with out,, ahhh,, hummm,, you know, like,, and it goes on and on.. Yes it surely pisses me off as well, when you have young engineers that are supposedly EE's that cannot figure out Ohms Law with out their damned phones or a calculator... But I digress
No you don't digress, you hit the proverbial nail on the fat f....n head - dead balls bullseye......

and I am still trying to make kids understand the electrons have pressure and flow.......even though you can't see the little buggers ! :)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Tomcat, yes we know it was meant as humor. Though a lot of us have watched the degradation of American students, and their studies and lack of skills which they need to survive in this world, and why little Tommy is 35 years old and living in Mommies basement,, Sorry I got carried away

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Tomcat, yes we know it was meant as humor. Though a lot of us have watched the degradation of American students, and their studies and lack of skills which they need to survive in this world, and why little Tommy is 35 years old and living in Mommies basement,, Sorry I got carried away
I know what you mean. BTW, my name is Tom and I'm much older than 35 and I don't live in anyone's basement!

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Why do I get the red squiggly line when I type Kubota?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Red squiggly line indicates your spell check doesn't recognize the word being spelled correctly... but spell check doesn't know everything!:D

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Red squiggly line indicates your spell check doesn't recognize the word being spelled correctly... but spell check doesn't know everything!:D
Yeah I know what it means, but Kubota?

volp

Equipment
Kubota B6001, MF35 with backhoe, Ford 3000, JD LX186 Lawn tractor
I agree with most of what is said in this thread. As English is a foreign language to me, a spell checker is even more important.
It is also important that your texts are reasonable spelled for me to fully understand whats said! :eek:
A problem for me is the frequent use of abbreviations like LOL (got it now). :confused: The Urban Dictionary sometimes, but not always, gives the explanation. ;)

Anders

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
I worked in the "ghetto" as we called it for several years. An urban dictionary would have been extremely handy.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Spellcheckers...
Computers...
Web pages...

Its all technology.

Technology is wonderful when it "aids you" in a task. Washing machine... who the heck wants to wash clothes the old way? We could, if we had to but, as long as we have electricity, why do it? Technology frees us up to do other stuff.

Most of us old farts were born before electricity and have come to accept the new technology as an "aid" to doing a task. I met all of you folks because of this wonderful Internet and our common interest in Orange. If we were all in a bar, we'd be sitting around a few tables swapping stories face-to-face. The 'Net just lets me talk to a guy in Northern Saskatchewan who I'd probably never get to meet. Technology just helps me communicate with more people.

Problem is, the new kids accept the technology as a primary means of communication. Ever see the picture of four kids in the convertible at a stop light? They are all heads down, texting.

Kids don't talk much any more face-to-face. Their lives are detailed in a series of short texts. Everything they do is represented by their posts online. Facebook is a way to tell their friends what a great life they are having, even though its not always true. The competition is immense. These kids rarely want to hear about their friends lives. They only want responses to their posts. And most times, all they get is a "like." And we wonder why they are so incredibly self-centered and egotistical? I call it "Farcebook," because it brings 'keeping up with the Joneses' to a new level. Maybe "Crackbook" is a better name. They are completely hooked on connectivity.

Is it because many parents are too busy to get involved with their kids lives? Perhaps. Did you know that Steve Jobs refused to allow his kids to have iPads? He insisted they use a computer and then to walk away and communicate with their family and friends the old fashioned way.

Maybe he saw the pitfalls...

Last edited:

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
I totally agree with you CCR!

I am not as old as dirt like you! Lol I was born in the mid sixties and we lived in a small trailer. I was kicked outside most of the time because I was full of energy. We did have two channels ( three if you count the French channel) , CBC and CTV.

I am in Central Saskatchewn and I do appreciate getting to know folks from all over!

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
Cave Creek, Great way to sum up what is happening with our youth and their connectivity issues as I see them. ... Wish we had a LIKE button, would have saved me all this typing and all my online friends could have seen my response quicker and then further used the LIKE button to like my comment :)

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Seems like folks these days expect teachers to do all the mentoring/baby-sitting so they can go off to their jobs. Whatever happened to "family time"? When I was a kid we weren't allowed to watch TV after supper. We interacted as a FAMILY!

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
I agree with most of what is said in this thread. As English is a foreign language to me, a spell checker is even more important.
It is also important that your texts are reasonable spelled for me to fully understand whats said! :eek:
A problem for me is the frequent use of abbreviations like LOL (got it now). :confused: The Urban Dictionary sometimes, but not always, gives the explanation. ;)

Anders
I always have a great deal of respect for those that post on forums in a language they are not familiar with!

I wonder if that urban dictionary explains some of the abbreviations used on here. I wondered for quite a while what the hey a FEL was. I thought maybe it was a fuel additive. I usually know all the technical talk like putting the doings on the norbetz that screws on the thinymerbobber

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Always remember that the whatchacallit connects to the hoobob and NOT vice versa!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I totally agree with you CCR!

I am not as old as dirt like you! Lol I was born in the mid sixties and we lived in a small trailer. I was kicked outside most of the time because I was full of energy. We did have two channels ( three if you count the French channel) , CBC and CTV.

I am in Central Saskatchewn and I do appreciate getting to know folks from all over!
I have to agree. We grew up with only two tv channels as well. Both were on opposite ends of the antenna. And dad was too cheap to get a rotor :rolleyes: the rotor was either me or my brother. Would have to go outside with a pipe wrench to turn the antenna and listen for dad to yell from his chair :p was real fun when it was iced up in the winter :rolleyes:
Our kids started getting that "me" attitude, and the wife and I got fed up and knocked them back to the stone age. Cable and internet were shut off, video game consoles and games got pawned. They got to pick out a movie a week, and if they didn't take care of them, then they lost getting a new movie. When it finally came time for a cell phone, they either had to earn it or pay for it, or they were shut off for that month :cool: same thing with vehicles. They had to pay there insurance and property tax on the vehicle, or it got parked. On several occasions they went to leave the house and found there vehicle on jack stands and I had the tires :cool::cool:

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Got you beat - we had NBC, CBS and ABC! Sometimes a college station if the "wind was right". Dad got a motorized antenna when I was in high school so I didn't have to suffer from the yelling from the chair! He bought a snow-blower about the same time. Go figure.