SP Full Synthetic oil used instead of Diesel (API C classification) oil

tractorgo

Equipment
MX5100
Jan 9, 2024
Alabama
I recently bought an MX5100 and performed an engine oil change. I goofed and put a full synthetic 10w30 that isn't rated for diesel engines (it's a gasoline SP rated oil). I've only ran the tractor for a few minutes since changing the oil (basically to circulate/top off). Is there much concern running the engine a few minutes to drain this oil out or would you drain it cold? Would you use any sort of flush solution? Or maybe first replace with cheaper diesel oil, run for a few minutes, drain and then add a quality diesel oil? Any concerns with reusing the basically new oil filter even though the filter media has been saturated with the SP oil? Thanks for any advice.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I recently bought an MX5100 and performed an engine oil change. I goofed and put a full synthetic 10w30 that isn't rated for diesel engines (it's a gasoline SP rated oil). I've only ran the tractor for a few minutes since changing the oil (basically to circulate/top off). Is there much concern running the engine a few minutes to drain this oil out or would you drain it cold? Would you use any sort of flush solution? Or maybe first replace with cheaper diesel oil, run for a few minutes, drain and then add a quality diesel oil? Any concerns with reusing the basically new oil filter even though the filter media has been saturated with the SP oil? Thanks for any advice.
Warm the machine up, dump the oil, and fill with diesel rated oil!
Change the filter, only if it tickles your fancy.

Reactions: 3 users

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
It will not hurt your engine but will not have the best properties or handle soot as well. I would just drain it into the jugs that it came in, fill with the HDEO of your choice and use the oil you drained out in your lawn mowers.

Reactions: 2 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Warm it up, drain it, and refill with a CK4 oil. There is ZERO chance this will be a problem.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to the forum! As advised, drain it, put the correct oil in it, and don't look back.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The tractor is garbage now. I will give you 50% of what you paid for it. Don't worry, you are not the first person to make this mistake. Drain it into a clean container and then use it in your car for your next oil change. No reason to waste expensive oil. That is what I would do. I give my used oil to someone who has a car that burns a lot of oil. He uses it in his engine. If he didn't top off the engine every other day, by the end of the week, there would be no oil in that oil pan at all.