some welding pics

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Last week a machinist friend of mine asked me to do some welding for him. the parts are off a ship that came into port. I was told that these parts are in a very hard area to get to and they don't want any leaks and they MUST be welded right the first time. There's about 1000 P.S.I. on them so I said I think It's doable.

I used a Miller Dynasty 200 DX and tigged the root pass then I switched over to the Millermatic 350P in pulse mode to complete it. I setup the welding postioner and here's the result.
My buddy was happy and so was the ships engineers. I was pleased when they said it passed the pressure test :D

Pictures were taken with my Iphone :eek:

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Sweet looking welds there bro!!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
As always, extraordinary work. I think that I've said this before, but the thought continues- there is a real joy in seeing the work of someone who is a master at what they do. I'm not so enamoured that I put Wildfire up on a pedestal and worship him, but he is an artist, and is due the respect that he has earned. I do wish that I lived closer- I'd love to learn a thing or two from someone who is so capable of deciphering a situation, and working through it in a professional and competent manner. I have friends who I learn from, but not on this level.
And especially not at home, in a garage...

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Obviously welded by an alien with advanced technology..... no human produces welds like that.
Well done sir!

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Nice. I remember that you have shown another picture in the past, where you have also welded something around in a circle.
It is always nice to have the needed tool for a job, to get it done perfect.
Looks good!

Maybe I should really start to feed my piggybank, to finance an internship at wildfire. :cool:

carl

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'm lucky if I can pick my nose without poking my eye out let alone run a welding bead like that!

Wildfire

Equipment
Sweet looking welds there bro!!

Thank you very much :)

As always, extraordinary work. I think that I've said this before, but the thought continues- there is a real joy in seeing the work of someone who is a master at what they do. I'm not so enamoured that I put Wildfire up on a pedestal and worship him, but he is an artist, and is due the respect that he has earned. I do wish that I lived closer- I'd love to learn a thing or two from someone who is so capable of deciphering a situation, and working through it in a professional and competent manner. I have friends who I learn from, but not on this level.
And especially not at home, in a garage...
Thanks Hodge. Your to kind ;) I get a lot of guys dropping by my shop for tips and tricks and I don't mind showing anyone when I have the time. Even my oldest brother stops in to look at what I'm doing. Today was a different day at the shop. I had a Dodge Viper in all day with a few issues that had to be sorted out. I have some stainless steel work coming in this week so I'll post more on that here for you guys to see. Thanks for your kind words my friend ;)

Obviously welded by an alien with advanced technology..... no human produces welds like that.
Well done sir!
Well sir I owe you. Yep, you gave me a laugh like I haven't had in a long time :D
I appreciate it. Thanks. :cool:

Nice. I remember that you have shown another picture in the past, where you have also welded something around in a circle.
It is always nice to have the needed tool for a job, to get it done perfect.
Looks good!

Maybe I should really start to feed my piggybank, to finance an internship at wildfire. :cool:

carl

Ya Carl. I posted similar work in the past. The ifferance here is the work involves high pressure. It takes good tooling and some practice to do this stuff but as you can see it can be done so keep putting the time in and practice. If I can do it anyone can do it. Come on up to Newfoundland and I'll show you how I did it .

I'm lucky if I can pick my nose without poking my eye out let alone run a welding bead like that!
Ha. I'm like that as well so don't feel to bad :eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I just love that kind of talk,, aint got a clue what you said but I do like that talk:D

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Wildfire, i retired almost 3 years ago from a major aerospace company as a Toolmaker/Electro-optic Research Technician with over 36 years experience, and worked with 3 different Nasa-certified welders during that time, and I never saw any of them produce welds of that quality. It is a pleasure to see someone who obviously knows his "stuff" and takes this much pride in his workmanship. If we weren't on opposite ends of the world, I would like to drop by for an "internship" also.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I admire anyone who can produce a weld like that. I also envy you folks. My welds always end up looking like something from the scrap bin in the junior high school shop class.

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
So what was the welding gun mounted in and how did you trigger it to start?

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
To clarify, I mean how do you trigger the device rotating the part to start. Or do you turn the rotation on and just manually actuate the welding gun trigger?

Nice work!

Wildfire

Equipment
I just love that kind of talk,, aint got a clue what you said but I do like that talk:D
Ha. You crack me up :D

Wildfire, i retired almost 3 years ago from a major aerospace company as a Toolmaker/Electro-optic Research Technician with over 36 years experience, and worked with 3 different Nasa-certified welders during that time, and I never saw any of them produce welds of that quality. It is a pleasure to see someone who obviously knows his "stuff" and takes this much pride in his workmanship. If we weren't on opposite ends of the world, I would like to drop by for an "internship" also.
Oh man you made my day! I really appreciate your kind words and everyone's comments. I'll try and remember these comments on the days when things aren't going that great ;) sounds like you had a really interesting job and you sure put in the time there. I'm betting you were a key player there as well. Thanks again.

You Sir are an welding artist. Wish you lived closer...
Well thank you as well. I'll post some more stuff next week. It's kind of a crazy business we have here. Some days it's welding, machining and fabrication while other days it's vehicle repairs and motorcycles to keep going. I guess what ever it takes to pay the bills. :)
Thank you sir for your kind words

Wildfire

Equipment
I admire anyone who can produce a weld like that. I also envy you folks. My welds always end up looking like something from the scrap bin in the junior high school shop class.
Thank you for your kind words. We all had bad looking welds starting out but with practice and a good machine it will get better in time.

So what was the welding gun mounted in and how did you trigger it to start?
To clarify, I mean how do you trigger the device rotating the part to start. Or do you turn the rotation on and just manually actuate the welding gun trigger?

Nice work!
Thanks jimbo for the question and the kind words. For this situation I used a foot pedal on the positioner. Once I got the welding machines set up I set up the positioner and held the gun then hit the foot switch. It gets a little busy doing it this way but the results pay off. *Here's a link to show you more.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15602393@N05/4457788289/in/set-72157623303514111

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15602393@N05/4353780465/in/set-72157623303514111/lightbox/

Last edited:

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
Again, nice job. I would have thought you fix mounted the gun as it looks like a fully automated weld. My hand would probably not be that steady even with the part rotating under it.
I would have turned positioner on with gun fix mounted and just pressed the trigger. Just kidding, I would have done best I could free hand and said the hell with it.

Wildfire

Equipment
Again, nice job. I would have thought you fix mounted the gun as it looks like a fully automated weld. My hand would probably not be that steady even with the part rotating under it.
I would have turned positioner on with gun fix mounted and just pressed the trigger. Just kidding, I would have done best I could free hand and said the hell with it.
I have had a few welding inspectors question me on if those welds were CNC applied. The fact is all I'm really doing is letting the positioner do the turning but I'm still doing everything free hand. I'm loosing my hair, my eye sight and even my mind some days but I'm still as steady as a surgeon :D
The welding process it's self makes it a little easier. Pulse spray with .045 wire and a hot weld gets a consistent flow with little splatter. It might sound technical but it's not. I'm not a welder by trade so when I say "if I can do it, anyone can" is really true. ;)