Some things in life very hard to understand

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Even the professionals have a hard time finding reasons and actions to help control a mental illness.
We have been dealing with this in the home. The psychiatrist (MD) has had the kid on several different combinations of drugs until we hit on what appears to be working. This took almost a year of very close attention to details and looking for mood changes or altered states. No one knows if this is a lifetime thing or if she may be off the meds in the future. Again, a crap shoot at best.
A therapist is also critical. If the person does not hit it off with the therapist , it is a bust. We went through 4 or 5 until there was a match. Then all of the sudden the light went on and an honest dialogue started.

One of the biggest hurts for the kid were the whispers of the relatives. They, like many, did not understand that this is an medical/brain issue and getting treatment is key. She now now proudly states that YES, she is seeing a psychiatrist , a therapist, and on meds.

For me. I am just happy that she is back to the same realty as the rest of us (most of us), SHE IS ALIVE, and has plans for the future. Those three items were in question just a short time ago.
Thanks for the description. I have a friend who is going down the highway of life and seems to be always just bouncing off the guard rails. Perhaps I can be an influence.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user