I'm hopping you can help me. My saw sits in an unheated shop with out much
ventilation, and the cast iron table and wings are getting RUSTY,, just a
light coat but I know everything I wipe it off there some iron coming with
it. So what I want to find out is what's the best way of keeping it from
rusting up???? This maybe a tempest in a tea cup so to speak but this is
buggin the hell out of me.

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
Casey's makes a gun lube that I used on all the machined cast iron bits on my wood working equipment.It was a spray on. I would just spray it down and then wipe it off when I was going to use it next.
This was in Florida and humidity and heat were big problems.
Worked great for me.
KC

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Je veux le faire la manière facile,, ok so Im lazy,, and I got some friends inthe GWN too,,,lol

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
WD-40 is cheap and works just as good. After all they call its Water Displacement-40 for a reason!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I guess because I don't speak it none to good,, just some thing I picked up mostly alllll bad,,,;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Im thinking that WD40 would leave a film on the iron the might transfer to the wood,, and I don't know if it would sand out if it did,, A good thought though

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Are you cutting picture perfect wood for furniture or cabinet making or just rough cut lumber for general purposes? As cheap as WD-40 is try it out and then cut a scrap piece of wood and see what it does.

If its a saw you're not using often and go for quite sometime without using I'd defiantly used the less expensive WD-40. The high priced lubes will burn off every time you run the saw so you're burning up alot of money on expensive lube.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Im thinking that WD40 would leave a film on the iron the might transfer to the wood,, and I don't know if it would sand out if it did,, A good thought though
It probably wouldn't sand out. An oil like that will absorb in deep, and affect how it takes stain or poly. Most people don't realize it, but wood flooring manufacturers advise against using things like Murphy's on wood, because it will affect future refinishing.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
WD-40 is cheap and works just as good. After all they call its Water Displacement-40 for a reason!
I think it is called that because it displaces water on electrical components.

BadAxeB

Equipment
B2100HSD
Nov 28, 2011
Michigan
Don't use use WD40 or anything oil based! Just clean it off with steel wool or 3m pads and WAX it - any good paste wax will keep it like new for years

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I think it is called that because it displaces water on electrical components.

Electrical components for one and thousands of other applications. A film of WD-40 on any surface will repel water. Literally 1001 uses for it on their website.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I stand corrected. According to WD's website now over 2000+ uses for their product!

Fresh from WD-40 website!

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product on?

WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40 Multi-Use Product.

Last edited:

cdrill

Aug 16, 2012
FM Fl
Best thing I found was Johnsons Paste Wax, and a box fan running constantly in my shop. Without air moving around I would have to clean my tables on all my machines a couple times a week no matter what I used, and I tried every miracle potion I could find. After putting the fan in the shop I only have to wax tables when material drags or some clown puts a cold drink on the cast iron. Oh be sure to use a wax that doesn't contain silicone or stains and finishes will bead up like water on afresh waxed car.

Last edited:

Jim-Iowa

Oct 14, 2011
Newton,Iowa
Best thing I found was Johnsons Paste Wax, and a box fan running constantly in my shop. Without air moving around I would have to clean my tables on all my machines a couple times a week no matter what I used, and I tried every miracle potion I could find. After putting the fan in the shop I only have to wax tables when material drags or some clown puts a cold drink on the cast iron. Oh be sure to use a wax that doesn't contain silicone or stains and finishes will bead up like water on afresh waxed car.
I'll second that! A tub of Johnsons paste wax is just a couple dollars and will last forever. The problem with WD 40 is it has some silicone in it and you will play heck getting a finish on anything that has gotten silicone on it or into the pores.

arktraveler

Equipment
L245,B2320,BX2660
Jun 9, 2012
Vilonia, AR
I have been a woodworker since 1961 (a Kubota owner since 1980), and I have never found a product that is any more effective than Johnson's Paste Floor Wax for iron and steel items in the shop. The fan stirring the air is a good idea too!

Arktraveler

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

Not mentioned, but a Dehumidifier can do wonders also.

As mentioned, paste wax is a must.

Ron

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Johnson's paste wax...prevents rusts and allows wood to glide along the surface. Sorry if it was already mentioned...didn't read all posts.

Oops...appears I wasn't the only one.