Some days you get lucky...

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
During my recent Kubota clutch adventure, I discovered that the muffler is rusting out. New one from the dealer is -- Wait For It:

$550.00

Ain't gonna happen. Welding up the old one goes on the to-do list.

Then I happened to stumble on a Kijiji ad listing one (together with the gasket and tall exhaust pipe) at an auction house in Mississauga. So I put in a max bid of $50 online. A few days later I was notified that I won the auction @ $46 plus tax. Cool, but wait, it gets better:

I showed up to pay and collect. The place (if I don't name them, I can't be sued for slander) is a unit or two in an industrial mall. Decor is strictly whatever the last guy left behind. To call this operation "disorganized" would be kind. They couldn't get the computer to work, he had to actually look things up on his phone! While I was paying, another staffer brought out the muffler and disappeared again into the back. I asked where the rest of it was and out came his phone again to look it up. "Oh, right. It's supposed to have a gasket" he says. "Yeah, and the pipe" I says.

No can find. Out comes the manager. Long story short: the picture and the description in the ad is one they borrowed from the internet, not their own photo and listing of the thing they are actually selling! However, he did offer me my choice of full refund, or 50% off the sale price.

So I scored a $550 muffler for $25. Not too bad.

But he couldn't figure out how to refund my credit card. So he pulled out $25 in cash from his wallet. I doubt I'll buy anything from them again.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"I doubt I'll buy anything from them again."

What's the matter, can't stand a bargain?:D You buy what you need and can't find else wear for 1/20th the price of new, and a little frustration stops you?

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I showed up to pay and collect. The place (if I don't name them, I can't be sued for slander) is a unit or two in an industrial mall. Decor is strictly whatever the last guy left behind. To call this operation "disorganized" would be kind. They couldn't get the computer to work, he had to actually look things up on his phone! While I was paying, another staffer brought out the muffler and disappeared again into the back. I asked where the rest of it was and out came his phone again to look it up. "Oh, right. It's supposed to have a gasket" he says. "Yeah, and the pipe" I says.

No can find. Out comes the manager. Long story short: the picture and the description in the ad is one they borrowed from the internet, not their own photo and listing of the thing they are actually selling! However, he did offer me my choice of full refund, or 50% off the sale price.

So I scored a $550 muffler for $25. Not too bad.

But he couldn't figure out how to refund my credit card. So he pulled out $25 in cash from his wallet. I doubt I'll buy anything from them again.
Its not slander if youre telling the truth. Sounds like you got a deal but could have gone the other way because of their disorganization.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
What's the matter, can't stand a bargain?:D You buy what you need and can't find else wear for 1/20th the price of new, and a little frustration stops you?
I won't rule it out completely, but like motionclone notes, I had the distinct impression that the deal could have gone sour just as easily. Most of the stuff I saw looked like surplus rejects from a Chinese variety store. And they are a 5 hour drive from home (I happened to be nearby for an unrelated reason anyway).

The thought crossed my mind later that this would be a good setup to launder money. Buy surplus junk dirt cheap, mix in the odd legitimate sale, pay the sales tax and pitch the lava lamps in the dump. Virtually no paper trail for the "cash sales" and whatever "profit margin" you need.

But I'm not giving the muffler back. :p

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
But I'm not giving the muffler back. :p
HA!!

I wouldn't either...that's a good turn of events!:cool:

Like you said, could have gone other way just as easy...

Last edited: