Some days the Dragon wins.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Been nice spring like weather for several days and really catching up on some outdoor projects including some that included clearing trees. Rain expected to start in a few hours so time to deal with a big stump from a large oak that fell last spring beside an animal shed. Have worked off and on clearing tree, sold saw logs, digging stump and whittling it down to size. Much too big for the M59 to lift. 8-9’ diameter with a 40”+ butt cut. Plan was to roll it about a 100 yards into the tree line for a final resting place. Got to 10 yard line and had it roll back.
IMG_3048.jpeg

Crunched my hood in spite of a bonnet protector. Ouch!

Tried for the last push and oil began squirting from the right cylinder gland. Cylinder rod has new bend about a 1/2”.

That stopped me.

Rod chrome looks good and bend uniform. Little hard to photo till I bring it to the shop.
IMG_3047.jpeg
IMG_3045.jpeg

Have to think wether I can straighten or send it to hydraulic shop. No leaks with no load. Never have straightened a cylinder rod but do have a 50ton press and tooling. Enough plastic bits to cushion the chrome. Advice would be welcome.

The bonnet I can beat back into shape. Be good time to paint it too. Sun damage Mary Kay pink.

Sure sux when your best player gets injured.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Aw - in the voice of the monty python's black knight - "its just a flesh wound ! "

That hood hurt my feelings when I first saw it! Then I saw the cylinder - a double ouch!

I am sure you will get it back in shape quickly. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Darn, hate to see that happen! Reminded me of a guy I worked with who had a big brush guard on his Ford F150. He had a very minor mishap and the only damage was where the brush guard ran into his hood.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
That sucks man.

I have never attempted to straighten a cylinder, but IF I was gonna try (and I would try at least)

I would probably find a 6 inch or so, piece of pipe that has an ID, the same as your cylinder OD and cut it in half to try and "spread out" the contact area when in the press, and maybe line it with some thin copper (any soft metal) sheeting to prevent scratching.

Just a suggestion, good luck.

Reactions: 3 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Dang! That’s pretty irritating. And you didn't even weaken due to the hood getting a beauty mark.

I’d do what RWS suggested, if I were going to try to straighten the rod. Maybe several thin copper/brass (10, 20 thousands) shims in the half pipe to help spread the load onto the rod given it has a slight radius in it currently.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I didn't do the straightening myself, but I took the cylinder to machine shop and stood there visiting and watching. He used brass pieces to put under the ram at both ends and then on the top where he applied the pressure from his press. Gently and slowly and in a few minutes he had it to where you couldn't tell it ever was bent.

In actuality a slight bend like you show there would probably work just fine for as long as it would without the bend, as long as there are no nick in the shaft that would tear up the seals !!

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Well heck, I thought this would be a harrowing Deals Gap motorcycle story from the title....... But it's just another tractor tale.
I'd straighten that in a heartbeat in the press. You need a press with a wide enough arch that you can get the underside supports wide out as possible towards the ends of the rod then a scrap hunk of pipe cut in half with something to prevent scratches. Just go slow. Check it with an indicator or straight edge as you go. It won't bend all that hard. Watch you don't get carried away and put any extra dog leg in it.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Been nice spring like weather for several days and really catching up on some outdoor projects including some that included clearing trees. Rain expected to start in a few hours so time to deal with a big stump from a large oak that fell last spring beside an animal shed. Have worked off and on clearing tree, sold saw logs, digging stump and whittling it down to size. Much too big for the M59 to lift. 8-9’ diameter with a 40”+ butt cut. Plan was to roll it about a 100 yards into the tree line for a final resting place. Got to 10 yard line and had it roll back.
View attachment 122856
Crunched my hood in spite of a bonnet protector. Ouch!

Tried for the last push and oil began squirting from the right cylinder gland. Cylinder rod has new bend about a 1/2”.

That stopped me.

Rod chrome looks good and bend uniform. Little hard to photo till I bring it to the shop.
View attachment 122857 View attachment 122858

Have to think wether I can straighten or send it to hydraulic shop. No leaks with no load. Never have straightened a cylinder rod but do have a 50ton press and tooling. Enough plastic bits to cushion the chrome. Advice would be welcome.

The bonnet I can beat back into shape. Be good time to paint it too. Sun damage Mary Kay pink.

Sure sux when your best player gets injured.
Need a hydraulic press / Need to disassemble cylinder so you damage end cap or packing gland assembly / a 20 ton should be enough / also need "V" blocks to hold / also when pressing shaft need to go past straight a little bit / also use a good steel yard stick to check

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Decided to get professional help on cylinder. Maybe able to straighten. Head/gland nut cracked. Ordered new and seal kit from Messicks.

After 30 minutes beating on the bonnet.
IMG_3052.jpeg