So the wait begins...

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I've been itching for a landscape rake for sometime. Went to the local TSC and grabbed one of the Tarter 6' rakes and went on my way.

Got it off the trailer back at the homestead and setting on the ground, something didn't look right. Sure enough, the hitch wasn't welded to the rake square. This made the right side of the rake contact the ground while the left side was still a couple inches in the air.

So I used it for about 20 minutes hoping it wouldn't effect the operating of the rake much, but alas it just wasn't going to work.

I had gotten prices on woods and landpride prior to getting the Tarter rake and couldn't stomach the $1000 price tag.

So I ordered a severe heavy duty v3 rake from EA with a set of gauge wheels. Yeah it was just over $1200, but it looks to be a heavier, superior design. I especially like the float slot in the top of the hitch. That should make the gauge wheels a grading dream.

8 weeks out.

I guess I've got time to get more work lined up for it when it arrives.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Good move. I have a cheap Woods rake and it is the only implement I have that has had problems. The posts the wheels are on bend, it is tough to keep level, and one of the tires had a chronic leak. All I do with mine is rake horsemanure and wood chips, not exactly tough work.

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
L5460, BH92, RCR1872, FDR2572.RTVX1100c
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
I’m a firm believer in buy once, cry once. Get the best you can afford so you don’t have to do it again. It has worked for me although things do get expensive.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Hey Eipo. I went thru the same thing looking for a rake to go with my box blade and rototiller to get areas ready to seed. Like you didnt want to spend a ton on a rake that I dont use very often, and could not find a decent used one. Looking at Rural King, they had a 6ft King Kutter for $399.00. Doing some research, the only difference I found from that model to the more expensive ones was the frame, The tines were the same which was my
concern. Looking at it, it just needed a support welded on it to make it like the more expensive models. I did buy it and welded the needed support for it and it has been perfect. The rake came from the factory perfectly flat, level and straight and performs as it should. There definitely is a difference in quality and support between more expensive rakes, but this one has worked perfect for my needs. So any one looking for lesser priced unit, it has worked perfect.

View attachment 36269

View attachment 36270

View attachment 36271

Last edited:

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Thanks for that.

The tarter rake I feel was structurally sound for our size tractor. I was able to spin a tire in 2wd and not flex the rake to much. But I made a conscience point to not engage the front axle because I didn't want to put to much pressure on it.

With the recent choice to use the tractor for our son to try to earn money, I figured the extra expense of a solid rake with gauge wheels would open up more possibilities as well as serve more usefulness around the house. I may be able to recoup some cost by parting with the land plane. I don't use it like I thought I would and I don't really have much use for it now that the driveway is done.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Thanks for that.

The tarter rake I feel was structurally sound for our size tractor. I was able to spin a tire in 2wd and not flex the rake to much. But I made a conscience point to not engage the front axle because I didn't want to put to much pressure on it.

With the recent choice to use the tractor for our son to try to earn money, I figured the extra expense of a solid rake with gauge wheels would open up more possibilities as well as serve more usefulness around the house. I may be able to recoup some cost by parting with the land plane. I don't use it like I thought I would and I don't really have much use for it now that the driveway is done.

I am sure you made a good choice. That should be a good choice especially with the gauge wheels for your son to learn on. That has to be fun working with your son with your tractor to earn some money. Good for you.I also found with heavy raking I need 4 wheel drive. I have been around equipment all my life as you know, and would know if I am going to rip it apart using 4 wheel drive, but no problem at all. Good luck with your new rake and let us know how it works out when you get it. By the way, I have really enjoyed my rear remotes and hydraulic top link, using my box blade and landscape rake. Really nice to adjust on the fly.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Thanks....

I haven't looked back into the top link... That may become a winter project. We have way to many irons in the fire right now.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I like it. Very well constructed.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
You’re going to appreciate the gauge wheels. I sold my 7’ rake with gauge wheels for a song when I got my driveway paved.... I regret selling it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro