So I'm out in the shop!

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Working away at a project for the feds on one of there FRC's.

One of the officers says to me, "What are you going to use for pins"? I tell him I'll make them out of some 1/8th stainless welding rods so he stays around and watches me make them.

He really enjoyed watching it so I thought there might be a few guys out there that might not have seen it done this way so I snapped a few pics to show you. I've done this with square stock, round stock..... solid and hollow. Here's how to do it.

- Take a welding rod.
- Remove all the coating off of it.
- Clean the rod up on a wire wheel.
- Put a 90 degree bend about one inch up on the rod.
- Take a socket. You pick the size. The larger the socket the larger the bend.
- Now place the socket in the vice with the bent part of the rod pinched between the socket and the vice jaw.
- With your hand bend the rod around the socket a few complete turns.
- Cut off the one inch piece sticking up and you got yourself a custom made pin.

If your doing multiple pins it's nice to have them look the same so start and stop in the same position and they'll look so cool. I have a shop full of benders but this method I've used for years. Please excuse the condition of my vice. It gets abused on a daily basis. :D

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
As usual, Wildfire, I enjoy your projects, posts and photos. I follow it all except the picture with the "UltraPro". What is that, a welder of some sort?
David

Wildfire

Equipment
Awesome job Wildfire!! really like this idea i think ill borrow it sometime.

Cool. Glad it might come in handy for you sometime
:)
As usual, Wildfire, I enjoy your projects, posts and photos. I follow it all except the picture with the "UltraPro". What is that, a welder of some sort?
David
David the UltraPro your seeing there is a air over hydraulic rivet gun. I included that picture because I thought someone might ask me how I intended to attach the chain. The type of rivet I'm using is called a " blind rivet". The gun is great if you have a lot of rivets to use, it makes the job effortless. Glad you've enjoyed this stuff and thanks for commenting. Paul

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Yesterday I watched your latest 3 videos on youtube. And I would like to know if most the people on Newfoundland sound scotish. I have a friend from Scotland and he also has such a hard pronunciation like you.
I like it!

carl

Wildfire

Equipment
Yesterday I watched your latest 3 videos on youtube. And I would like to know if most the people on Newfoundland sound scotish. I have a friend from Scotland and he also has such a hard pronunciation like you.
I like it!

carl
Carl here in Newfoundland there's a lot of people that sound Scotish, British and even French. There are other Newfoundlanders that no one can understand including me :D. It's the truth.

Most people think I don't have a Newfoundland accent but I know I do but its nothing compared to some that live around here ;)

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU WERE OUT IN THE SHOP ........................NO WAY........................NOT YOU !!!!!!

LOL LOL LOL

Nice job on the pin build, I like it.

Wildfire

Equipment
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU WERE OUT IN THE SHOP ........................NO WAY........................NOT YOU !!!!!!

LOL LOL LOL

Nice job on the pin build, I like it.
Ha! I know it's hard to believe I was actually out in the shop :D. I got almost four days working on this job for the Feds. I should have it completed by noon tomorrow. I'll post more photos then. Thanks :)

Wildfire

Equipment
The reason for this job is because of some new rules to tow this beast means that I had to remove that guard from the boat and make adjustments so that a wide load sign can be added to it along with a amber flashing rear light that's now part of the guard.

There also has to be four flags on the trailer, wide load sign on the pull truck and a separate amber light added to the truck other than the police style light bar it already had. More pics tomorrow. I'll have it completed then.

All of the material used was aluminum. I had to fabricate a box to house out of aluminum to house the LED amber strobe.

Wildfire

Equipment
That boat and truck look familer have you worked on that rig before?
Oh yes. Over the years we have been the main company to work on these vessels and there fleet of vehicles. We have them come from two or three locations. The one pictured is just a year old and Ive fabricated many custom items for it. There a big part of our business.

kcservak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2250 with backhoe 72" finish mower and front dirt blade.
Sep 25, 2011
poughkeepsie ny
Hello,Paul I've been lurkin here for a while and posted a few times the first thing I look for when I sign on is more post from you I love the work you do and there appears to be no end to your talent I was just wondering do you have any employees and would it be possible to get some pics of your shop inside.
Again love your work.
Keith.

Wildfire

Equipment
Thats awesome, repete business and guarenteed money!
So true my friend. This government department has been repeating there business here for 13 years now :D

Hello,Paul I've been lurkin here for a while and posted a few times the first thing I look for when I sign on is more post from you I love the work you do and there appears to be no end to your talent I was just wondering do you have any employees and would it be possible to get some pics of your shop inside.
Again love your work.
Keith.

Well thanks Keith. I'm not sure if I have any talent but it's the ultimate compliment when someone tells me they look for my posts when they log on so thanks for that.

To tell the truth we are a very small company. You could even call me a back yard mechanic because our shop is in behind our home :D We're a mom and pop outfit. It's just the wife and I that work here. Everyone calls her the boss including me but she gave me a note saying I could be the boss when she's not around ;)

I'd like to have another person here with me but we do such a wide range of things here we can't find anyone that can do it all so the wife takes care of the office stuff and I do the grunt work.

I had planned on doing a video of the shop this summer but never got around to it. Our shop is about 800 feet from the main road but folks still manage to find us.I dug up a few photo's for you. They aren't' recent but will give you an idea of the shop. I'll try and get some shots of the shop next week. Thanks for commenting and welcome to the site.

Wildfire

Equipment
Well I got that job completed. Everyone was happy. I did have to make one change though. They wanted the strobe light on the truck higher than the front emergency light so I had to make a base for that to happen. Got paid the extra time for it as well :D Looks like they need two more boats done so that's cool :cool:

Been doing vehicles for the last day or so then a guy comes in the shop with a chair ramp he needed repaired and asked if i could paint it so I'm just about done with that, here's a few pics to bore you all with :D