So I decided to prove my R1s would not get stuck..

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And just long do you think its going to take before Mama doesn't give you a shot like ,, ohh I never thought YOU would get stuck in the mud,,,lol:D

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Man that's funny. I AINT never seen anything that wont get stuck. Laughing my backside off. Good one:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
TADA... And the ground turns to liquid!
I have the same problem here right now, shovel test came up with 1 foot plus deep of hard frost/freeze this year.:eek:

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I hope you have a pressure washer! Someone once told me that you go as far as you can in 2 wheel drive and then you use 4 wheel drive to get out. I'm not sure that would have worked in your case but it is pretty good advice.

mikkeeh

Aug 28, 2013
Mount Vernon Ohio
Been there...done that ! LOL
4WD either gets you home........or gets you stuck REAL BAD!
Last time I stuck my B7500, the floorboards were in the mud.......liked to never get that thing out.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
If ya had 500-1000 lbs on the 3 pt hitch, or the FEL off, it might not have got stuck. Key work is 'might'...

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
If ya had 500-1000 lbs on the 3 pt hitch, or the FEL off, it might not have got stuck. Key work is 'might'...
In this case, with a load on the 3PH it would have gone in deeper, and no way I could have winched it out... Maybe without the FEL, No, I don't think I'll go back out and try again.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
In this case, with a load on the 3PH it would have gone in deeper, and no way I could have winched it out... Maybe without the FEL, No, I don't think I'll go back out and try again.
Probably so, that is a bad mud hole! But my L3800 (w/R1s') sucks & has no traction in the rear with FEL & no counter weight. With proper ballast mine has really impressed me in the mud and on the slippery slopes...

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
What I have found with mine, is there is more weight on those small front tires than is on the much larger back tires. This is only when the FEL is on & no weight on the 3 pt. What happens it the small skinny front tires sink quickly & the rears bury themselves because of lack of traction.

Enough counter weight on the 3 pt & the larger rear tires with help from the fronts will push through a bad spot before the rig can get stuck.

That said, some guys can stick anything! :D

Last edited:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I suspect you didn't read the posts recently about another stuck tractor which had a bucket on front. While it may not always work, you otta try. Now don't ask about how the bucket can help until you read that other post.

Also, a set of chains does wonders, but probably not much help there. And don't ask how to put on chains when badly stuck. That's also a chore we all otta know when in mud country.

Try putting on chains in the dark when flashlight is dead, snow is half a foot deep on glare ice on a steep hill and you just slid backwards about 100 feet.. I've also done that with wife screaming we shudda not tried it. Practice make perfect in these cases and teaches us about the usefulness of chains.

Comments from an 85 year old who has been there many times.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
What I have found with mine, is there is more weight on those small front tires than is on the much larger back tires. This is only when the FEL is on & no weight on the 3 pt. What happens it the small skinny front tires sink quickly & the rears bury themselves because of lack of traction.

Enough counter weight on the 3 pt & the larger rear tires with help from the fronts will push through a bad spot before the rig can get stuck.

That said, some guys can stick anything! :D
Maybe I'm that guy! The mud appeared to go deeper than my clearance by a whole lot. Now in the middle of the bog there is a tractor shaped pond!
I do believe you are right, however. Without the FEL I may well have missed the day's entertainment.

"Comments from an 85 year old who has been there many times."

Mr Lawson, at 69 I still respectfully reserve the right to continue screwing up many more times in the hopes of matching you in both experience and longevity!;)

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Way back when my '75 Blazer was about 6 months old, we were running along the property line of one of my in-laws' farms not long after dark. Wifey was driving, sis-in-law was riding shotgun and us boys were riding way in back on the tailgate looking back, feet dangling. Wifey said "Looks a little soft ahead". I told her "Yank that lever back and this thing will go anywhere". She did as directed and only went a short distance till it was in to the axles. I had to call my Father-in-law to rescue us with the big Massey Ferguson and he really ribbed me from time to time for the next 6 years or so.

THEN, one night when we had one of those rare major snowstorms Pop called wondering if I could join in with the boys and try to get his tractor out of a ditch. It was in pretty good. The brother-on-law I shared the Blazer tailgate with that night brought his Power Wagon and I brought the Blazer wearing its 8000# Warn winch. We planted the Power Wagon in the snow and the Blazer in front of it facing the tractor. With the Blazer chained to the truck we double-rigged the winch to the tractor. It was a hard pull, but the tractor came out. Pop didn't tease me about the Blazer after that.

PrairieSoul

Equipment
B2920 BX2755HD LA364FL BH65
Dec 23, 2013
Manitoba
I am so jealous seeing those pictures. Imagine, mud, glorious sticky mud.

6 more inches of snow tonight for me.

OldMasterTech

Equipment
KX057-4, KX121-3, L4630GST, RTV1100, AT60, T1700, T1560, 555E
Mar 28, 2011
Massachusetts
Boy, was I wrong!! Took several hours to winch it out!
Should this happen again or to another reader allow me to save you some time - simply lay a stout 8' 4x4 on the ground against your rear tires, run a short chain through the rim(s) effectively securing the 4x4 to the tire, lift the front end with your FEL while slowly backing and you will walk right up on top! Takes 5 minutes.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Should this happen again or to another reader allow me to save you some time - simply lay a stout 8' 4x4 on the ground against your rear tires, run a short chain through the rim(s) effectively securing the 4x4 to the tire, lift the front end with your FEL while slowly backing and you will walk right up on top! Takes 5 minutes.
That actually sounds like it will work! I'll have to rush out and buy or build a 4X4 today, and probably get another nylon strap - wouldn't do to have chains scrape up my wheels.
Second thoughts - When you do this, and your tractor is well into the mud field, doesn't this leave the tractor transmission sitting on the 4x4 after a quarter turn of the rear wheels? Maybe if I had half a dozen 4X4s & straps?
I can envision getting really dirty (yuk!).

cerlawson

Equipment
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
That's the time you finally install the tire chains on all 4. Oh, no tire chains? Sorry. I grew up when there was no salt on the roads and tire chains for cars were standard, as well as for the few tractors then. Sort of hard to get that out of my system however. Upon purchasing any tractor, my next step was equipping them with tire chains. same went for cars.

Even my little BX on a city lot has them.

Attachments

zoomy

Equipment
l5740,6' Brush mower, Bobcat 873,Marshal tree saw, 48" Pallet Forks, Bobcat T770
Feb 22, 2014
Mundelien, IL
Last fall I got my L5740 stuck in my "dried up swamp". I had a 1500 pound brush mower on the three point. Skid steer and pickup truck working together could not budge it. Called my neighbor to bring his 60,000 pound Payloader over. He lifted the back end and we backed out together. Hope yours comes out easier.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Anything can get stuck. I saw a huge John Deere center articulating tractor with duals all around buried in a field. they brought in an excavator and trenched all around it to drain and help dry the area and it still sat there for 4 weeks before they got it out.

cerlawson

Equipment
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
To all newbies. If you have not been stuck real bad, you have not lived yet. But, plan on it so you can make it less painful. Assuming you have anchorage in the area (such as strong trees), block and tackle equipment can save the day. Be aware that nylon rope with snatch-blocks is then like a major sling-shot. Chain breakage at the stuck tractor can fly a long ways, so paint them yellow or orange to aid in finding them. Make sure standers by are aware of the dangers. It pays to have cleat-like fittings on the puller vehicle if you are using nylon ropes. In the Navy the rule was "Never stand in the bight of the rope". Bight means the "U".