Snowblowing w/ turf tires - chains needed?

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East
That is why I went with the 54" width blower. Also the commercial blower is a lot heavier duty compared to the 48" "residential" version. Mine has a hefty gear driven box on the rear of the blower where the chain drive would be on the 48".
I have used the chain drive blower for the last 17 years, and haven't had any problems with the chain, with one exception. During one winter, someone tossed a rock into the snow on the driveway, and when the blower hit that rock, it stopped suddenly. It bent the auger in front on one side, and bent up the blower auger at the back. It also snapped the chain. I replaced the damaged parts for under $300, and was back blowing snow in a couple of weeks. Getting parts back then was a lot slower than today. If I had the commercial blower, it most likely would have taken out the gear box, which is over $1000 to replace. Over the 17 years, I did replace the chain a couple of times, but I also moved a lot of snow, so chain wear was acceptable. I can replace a chain in less than an hour. I am not denigrating the commercial blower, just pointing out that each blower has its merits. If the 55" blower were available in both chain drive and gear box, I would still prefer the chain because of simplicity and replacement costs.

ve9aa

Equipment
tg1860, bx2380
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
That is why I went with the 54" width blower. Also the commercial blower is a lot heavier duty compared to the 48" "residential" version. Mine has a hefty gear driven box on the rear of the blower where the chain drive would be on the 48".
Right, but mine is a 48" COMMERCIAL blower. The rare BX2830....I chose 48" because of several limiting factors.
Miniscule garage , space between 2 parked cars and a certain pathway I do, otherwise, I would've gone to the maximum allowed.

Point taken however.

Thanks

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
While you may get by without chains on snow.... a layer of sleety ice WILL stop you ! Tandem dumptruck,FULL spun all 8 last Winter. Kinda funny(well to me) ,hot tires ,1/4" ice on 6" of snow,spin,spin,spin. driver wasn't amused when I said I'll pull him out with my tractor.

Reactions: 3 users

ve9aa

Equipment
tg1860, bx2380
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
While you may get by without chains on snow.... a layer of sleety ice WILL stop you ! Tandem dumptruck,FULL spun all 8 last Winter. Kinda funny(well to me) ,hot tires ,1/4" ice on 6" of snow,spin,spin,spin. driver wasn't amused when I said I'll pull him out with my tractor.
I'm convinced. I ordered a set of chains from canadianchains.ca for the BX2380.

I don't own any other vehicle capable of pulling the tractor out of a snowbank or on an icy patch, so I decided this would be good insurance. (we drive MINI COOPERS as our DD's)

This spring,<as a test, before I bought the 'BX> while there was still a couple inches of (patches of) snow on the lawn I took my 2wd TG1860 out "bombing around" on the lawn and got stuck more often than not. The tires are nearly the same size and tread pattern of the BX2380.
After 2 days of fooling around on the snowy lawn, I bought a cheap set of tire chains from princessauto (think Harbor freight look-alike).
It was night and day. Almost like having 4WD, I kid you not. It transformed the traction that thing has.

My son, who does about 1/2 the mowing likes the extra traction so much, he talked me into leaving the chains on for mowing !

So, I'll put the chains on the BX2380 when they arrive too.

Thanks all !

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
'real' MINIs or them new ones ?? got a 2013 Mini cooper S here 'light' front end damage.turbo 6 speed(?) was fun for the owner to drive NOT fun trying to find parts.....seems cooper S has SPECIFIC parts for it ONLY, sigh.
My 2wd rider/BERCO blower has chains and +-200# steel weight, don't steer too easy BUT it'll blow snow all day long.Each adventure is about an acre to do,
Yeah, the Princess gets a lot of my money,come tuesday another $1K or more,they have the BEST staff and returns policy, GREAT hydraulics too !

ve9aa

Equipment
tg1860, bx2380
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Jay we have 2 new BINIS (BMW MINIs) and 1 real older classic Mini, right-hand-drive, imported from Wales ~16 yrs ago that sees sunny summer Sunday's only.

Tim Horton

Equipment
"PEPE" RTV400
Mar 22, 2018
British Columbia Canada
Here in norther BC.... I run V bar, 2 link ladder chains on loaded turfs.... Got them cheaper from a custom chain maker that makes chains for logging equipment.. The chains from my local dealer that were "supposed to fit" did not what so ever.. Got a refund for that..

Did this with my old compact tractor as well.. I have had people say .....you will never get anywhere with that.... Of course my answer is watching them try to keep up with me...