Snowblower Front mount or rear PTO - Thoughts?

cmdangelo83

Feb 22, 2019
N Stonington
Hi folks. New to the group. I just bought a 2014 B2920 with 240 Hours. It came with the front loader and Backhoe as well as the 60 inch belly mower. I am looking to get a snowblower for it. I have heard the front mounted ones are a pain to take on and off, bit I am used to driving forward to clear snow. Thoughts on front vs rear mounted blowers?

Appreciate the feedback

blperk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200, FEL, Betstco 63" flail mower, B2782b front snowblower
Dec 25, 2018
Canandaigua, NY
Welcome to the group! I've got a B3200 with a B2782B 63" front blower. There's no way in the world that I would trade it for a 3-point hitch blower. It's so much easier to see what you're doing, and much much better for your neck and back. As far as mounting, it takes me 5-10 minutes to remove the FEL, and 15-20 minutes to mount the blower. Greasing time is extra.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Just MHO,, the front is the only way to go Im to old and battered up to keep looking over my shoulder :D

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
I've used a rear mount blower, but I have a front-mount blower for my BX and it's far preferable--but it's a lot more money than a rear mount. Rear mount blower for a BX is in the $2200 range, front mount is $1500 more if you opt for the hydraulic chute rotation as I did. If you do go with the front mount, the so-called "quick attach" unit works for other stuff as well, i.e. plow, broom, etc.

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
I've got a front mount blower on my bx, no way I'd go for a rear blower. It takes me some time to swap out the loader, but I only do once each spring and once each fall. I run a blade on the 3 point all winter so while I'd like to have my loader at times in the winter for snow removal the blade does what I need, and is nice for scraping ice or when the wind picks up.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I would say front if you wont need to take it on and off except for the snow season. If you also want a plow option, then you might want a rear blower. However I agree front is the way to go. I would probably get a plow for my truck before I considered a rear blower.

jms

Equipment
MX5200, BX2660, ZD221
May 22, 2018
Zumbro Falls, MN
I have a rear blower and it works great. A 5ft Frontier blower.

You get used to looking backwards, plus it's nice to have the loader for other work. I would imagine you can have a much larger rear blower than front blower.

Attaching the blower on the three point is pretty easy. It doesn't take much effort and can used with other tractors.

Those are my thoughts.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

cmdangelo83

Feb 22, 2019
N Stonington
Thanks for the feedback folks. Looks like the front one is favored. My biggest concern was how difficult it might be to take on and off. A freind has a larger Kubota and he describes having to mount a full undercarriage frame for the snowblower and describes it as a pain to do, but the response here makes it seem like the on/off isn't a big deal. Ill take a trip to the local dealer and look at the setup in person. Thanks again folks!

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Thanks for the feedback folks. Looks like the front one is favored. My biggest concern was how difficult it might be to take on and off. A freind has a larger Kubota and he describes having to mount a full undercarriage frame for the snowblower and describes it as a pain to do, but the response here makes it seem like the on/off isn't a big deal. Ill take a trip to the local dealer and look at the setup in person. Thanks again folks!
It is going to take an hour or so to get it on. You often need to remove the FEL (make sure you get a quick attach/detach), then bolt on a subframe mount, then attach the mid PTO and blower. It is probably one of the more difficult implements you will hook up, which is why you only want to do it once a year :).

Also you will probably want hydraulic control of the chute so be sure you get that plumbed up front.

Also, rear blower isnt bad if you have a fairly short drive to blow. However, after 1/4 mile it gets old. I like the rear camera idea, just be sure to mount it inside the cab. If you have any blowing snow visibility isnt going to be good with a camera.

Last edited:

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I recently purchased a B2650 with cab.

I got the 63" front snowblower with hydraulic rotation and deflector. in hind sight I would probably select(and may do it myself still) electric deflector and rotation.
Reason is less use of the hydraulics all at the same time.

Never considered rear, as I had a front mount on my garden tractor and loved it. Looking back all the time just was not something I wanted to do.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I have both. I really like not having to look over my shoulder when using the front mount.

I prefer everything else about the rear mount. Heavier duty steel, easier to mount and dismount, taller intake, easier to steer, can keep the FEL installed, cheaper initial purchase price, fewer moving parts, easier to maintain, can be raised higher off the ground...

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
The B's require a subframe, but it is easy to install and NOTHING like the one on an L-Series which are 3x longer and 5x the weight. At least they seem like when installing.

For the record I install a front blower on a B3030 and Grand L4740 every season and it is much easier to install the B style subframe versus the L. This is mostly due to the overall weight and the ability to tilt (well balanced) the rear attachment point with minimal effort on the B.

On the L subframe it is easy to get the front pins in, but I've yet to be able to lift the rear attachment without the use of a floor jack.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Have a B2601 and put a front blower on it. Have done the 3 point blower for years and would never go back to it. As stated the only negative is you lose your fel for the season. For me that's not an issue. Take it off once the snow hits and reinstall when it's gone. Time to remove fel and install blower, less then an hour and same to switch back.

jabloomf1230

Equipment
B 3200
Sep 28, 2014
Voorheesville, NY
I have a front blower on my B3200 and as long as the blower is stored on either a hard surface or (like me) a wood pallet, it one of the easiest implements to install and remove. The trick is to keep the mounting shoe free of any rust or dirt. Personally, it's a whole lot easier to take on and off than either the FEL or backhoe. I don't know what Kubota was thinking with those two attachments. Or maybe it's just me being left-handed and spatially challenged.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I'd like to have a front mount blower, but it is impractical for ME as I use my loader every time I am on my tractor for something. Whether it be to move something, or bring firewood to the house.

Another thing is a rear blower is far cheaper to purchase. And can be used on any tractor.

So all comes down to your priorities.

Highmarket

Equipment
B2650hsdc
Jan 15, 2019
Constableville NY Tughill
I have a rear mount. I guess it also depends on type of driveway. Mine is pretty straight runs and have markers along driveway i can usually see if the wind is blowing and snow starts getting on glass. I still turn when doing clearing near something i cant hit. I use the front end loader to drag snow back around tight areas or moving snow that drifted.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
You can see both ends for the front blower, all the time. This is a big plus if you are clearing around cars, trucks, and the house. The front blower is a scalpel and the rear is a chainsaw. Jeff

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
I think the BX have an advantage here in that the loader can be taken off and on very quickly, and so can the snow blower. Easily less than a 5 minute switch. If I needed to use the loader every day it would probably grow tiresome quickly but for occasional loader use, with the front blower on for the winter, I am happy with it.