Snow and Ice studs

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When I bought my L3450 I thought that the previous owner had sort of lost his marbles at some point and screwed in a bunch of hex head screws into the front tires for traction, The fact that the screws were in there didn't concern me because the front tires are foam filled so no chance of them going flat, but what had me wondering why would someone do that?:confused:

Then looking around low and behold hardened hex screws that are tire studs, what I thought was just a redneck way of doing wheel studs is actually a real product :eek: and from what I read people like them.
Well I need to redo the studs on the fronts for winter and will also need to use them on the rear wheels as I can't put chains on those till I can get wheel spacers to move them out from the fenders.
Kold Kutter

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Wolfman do you have R1 tires ? And what length stud would one use without puncturing the tire ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have Firestone Power Implement (c) TLI3 Tires on the back and R4's on the front.
Tread.JPG
They have 23/32's of tread, so I'm going to use 3/8" studs on the center back and 3/4" on the outsides, and I'm going to use 1" studs on the front since I can't flatten them!:D
I still need to fill the back tires with magnesium chloride then that will help out too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Cstock5468

Equipment
L3560 with loader, BH92, LP post hole auger, LP box scraper, Front PTO snow blow
Apr 16, 2020
Plainfield, NH
When I bought my L3450 I thought that the previous owner had sort of lost his marbles at some point and screwed in a bunch of hex head screws into the front tires for traction, The fact that the screws were in there didn't concern me because the front tires are foam filled so no chance of them going flat, but what had me wondering why would someone do that?:confused:

Then looking around low and behold hardened hex screws that are tire studs, what I thought was just a redneck way of doing wheel studs is actually a real product :eek: and from what I read people like them.
Well I need to redo the studs on the fronts for winter and will also need to use them on the rear wheels as I can't put chains on those till I can get wheel spacers to move them out from the fenders.
Kold Kutter
I am thinking of getting studs for my front tires and here is a website that sells them specifically for studding all things gripping the road. https://www.gripstuds.com/Tire_Stud_Selection.php.
I included a pic of my front tire with potential stud placement. The website has recommended sizes and all specs for each size. I have big chains on the rear tires that grip well, but are a terrible ride on roads.

Attachments

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I belive you are talking about the studs that are popular in the ice racing community that thread directly into the tread blocks. I prefer the design of the ones that @Cstock5468 posted above but haven't tried either. Definitely report back as I would be interested in those over chains. My R14s are great in snow but my driveway has recently turned into a skating rink with the warm/cold temps...

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
A buddy of mine blows out driveways in our waterfront community commercially. Many are steep, curving and icy. He swears by those studs, installs them every winter and removes them every spring. He has the industrial tires on his tractor (a Mahindra).

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
We started using Kold Kutters years ago on the snowmobile tracks. I have a handful in my rear tires on the tractor during the winter. I have never had one break. They do wear out though.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I've been running them for 8 years, in that time replaced maybe 20 or 30 in just the rears. Due to being worn out and broken, zero pull out's in the R-4's

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
A buddy of mine blows out driveways in our waterfront community commercially. Many are steep, curving and icy. He swears by those studs, installs them every winter and removes them every spring. He has the industrial tires on his tractor (a Mahindra).
I was wondering about problems around removing the studs. I find on car tires you get little tiny rocks wedged into the holes and getting them out is difficult at best. Does your buddy have any problems?

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I was wondering about problems around removing the studs. I find on car tires you get little tiny rocks wedged into the holes and getting them out is difficult at best. Does your buddy have any problems?
Not that he mentioned.

Car tire studs are a bit different. There are cast-in pockets that the studs are pushed into. The studs are mushroom-shaped to engage the pocket. Once the tire is used, they do fill with crap that, as you say, is just about impossible to fully clean out. In Ontario, the law requires that only new, unused, tires can be studded for this reason. (And before someone jumps in to say studs are illegal in Ontario, they are only illegal if you live in Southern Ontario).

The ice-cutter screws make their own holes as they are driven in with a screw-gun. I assume the holes are somewhat self-sealing when the studs are removed, but in any event, dirt that is in there apparently does not prevent reinstalling the studs next season, presumably because they thread in rather than push in.

Again, none of this is my personal experience. But my buddy has been doing it for many years.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
My concern with using sheet metal screws or anything with a sharp installing point in tractor tires would be scrubbing them off in the driveway and re finding them in a car tire..

Every ones experience will be different..

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
It only feels weird the first few times you drill screws into your tires, it gets easier after you have done a few.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I am thinking of getting studs for my front tires and here is a website that sells them specifically for studding all things gripping the road. https://www.gripstuds.com/Tire_Stud_Selection.php.
I included a pic of my front tire with potential stud placement. The website has recommended sizes and all specs for each size. I have big chains on the rear tires that grip well, but are a terrible ride on roads.
Ive been considering these studs as well, albeit in R1’s all the way around.

If you can, ask him if he can re-use old stud holes and if he has to start new ones often. I don't want to make my tires swiss cheese.

I'm thinking of grooving my tires or studs as the next thing. I hate using my chains unless I have to.
this was my thought as well.... fine the first year, likely fine in a new hole the second, but after a while will the tread be full of holes and want to wear that much faster?!
On this M, a new set of winter rubber is $7g.... gotta pay to play I guess so these studs could be an affordable option if they don’t wreck the R1’s after a few seasons.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Ive been considering these studs as well, albeit in R1’s all the way around.

this was my thought as well.... fine the first year, likely fine in a new hole the second, but after a while will the tread be full of holes and want to wear that much faster?!
On this M, a new set of winter rubber is $7g.... gotta pay to play I guess so these studs could be an affordable option if they don’t wreck the R1’s after a few seasons.
Just leave them in. I have seen broken heads and wore out heads (not many), never a pull out.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
He says he reuses the same holes each year.