smoke

LCconvert

Equipment
B6000
Aug 10, 2015
good ol' USofA
I am new to tractors and diesel engines. My new to me B6000 seems to give off a little white smoke when the tractor is under load, like putting it in high gear and driving around the yard. Not a lot of smoke but just enough to barely see it. Is this normal? I don't see any when at idle or really even operating my bucket just driving.

My gas lawn tractor doesn't give off any smoke. Is this just a diesel thing?

thanks!

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I am new to tractors and diesel engines. My new to me B6000 seems to give off a little white smoke when the tractor is under load, like putting it in high gear and driving around the yard. Not a lot of smoke but just enough to barely see it. Is this normal? I don't see any when at idle or really even operating my bucket just driving.

thanks!
Keep track of the antifreeze level just to be sure its not burning antifreeze. Other than that it could be worn injectors. A good dose of a high quality fuel conditioner would be a good idea.
Diesels under load usually produce blackish smoke. White smoke is not usually a good sign.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

thanks!
Diesels in general "smoke" - but it does depend on color and frequency!
How many hours on the engine? More hours typically relates to more smoke....then again some "new" ones will smoke a bit when cold. I too see "smoke" when I am climbing a steep hill on my 23 year old diesel - and when I increase the throttle, the smoke is easier to see too and when light is shining through the smoke it is easier to see. White can be unburned diesel, low compression will cause fuel not to ignite completely too. Water will also cause the smoke - as others said, keep out eye on coolant level.

Dirty injectors and misfired injector timing can cause this too - depending on the AMOUNT of smoke, this will determine what the next step will be.

If it smokes at startup - this is somewhat "normal" for an older engine - the pistons will expand and rings close the end play gaps and the smoke will subside. If it smokes like you are killing mosquitoes......then you have a problem!

Based on what you see - I would say your machine is very much normal!!!:D:)

Last edited:

LCconvert

Equipment
B6000
Aug 10, 2015
good ol' USofA
I think it has seen quite a bit of use, but it starts up great and seems run just fine. The tractor has sat for at least two years, maybe more, and this is its first tank of fresh fuel.

I bought some Power Service Diesel Kleen and added a little to the tank. How much can I add? The bottle says it is for 100 gallons so I just did the math and added the appropriate amount to my 2 gallon tank. Can I add more? How much more? It would be nice to really clean this engine out a little.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You could give it a double dose of cleaner. I'd check the oil, be sure it's clean and fresh, not 2 years old. Check the radiator to be sure it's full. Then if you have an implement with it, put the tractor to work.

Once you're satisfied fluids are at correct level, and appropriate fluids, the best thing you can do is put that little monster to work. The harder the better. Keep an eye on everything as you're working it.

Post back how it goes and what you notice. By the way...welcome!