small grass clippings getting past the single stage air filter on bx1880

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: consumption

that's really hard to accurately measure, zillion factors like how hot the engine was, previous uses, speed,RPM, what oil filters were used, how long it drained for,same spot for the change.

I don't consider an engine 'broken in and stable' for 150-200 hours. '50' to me is just the guideline to remove any 'junk in the trunk' deal......

Redhawk454

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 12, 2023
Iowa
re: consumption

that's really hard to accurately measure, zillion factors like how hot the engine was, previous uses, speed,RPM, what oil filters were used, how long it drained for,same spot for the change.

I don't consider an engine 'broken in and stable' for 150-200 hours. '50' to me is just the guideline to remove any 'junk in the trunk' deal......

well I dont do hot oil changes. I use a bubble level to find a perfect flat surface in a concrete barn. I let it sit for a couple days and allow the oil to drain completely to the pan. On a bx1880 it takes exactly 3.18 quarts. I put 3 in, let it sit for 10 minutes, then slowly add more until the oil is a little above the second hole on the dipstick (when i first got the tractor i checked the oil level on the flat surface as a reference to what the stock oil level is).

Now the oil level is below the second hole. again, I know oil consumption in new engines is kinda normal early on but the fact that its consuming more from 50-75 hours on 15w40 then the first 50 hours on 10w30 seems odd.

I'm just OCD about these things.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
well I dont do hot oil changes. I use a bubble level to find a perfect flat surface in a concrete barn. I let it sit for a couple days and allow the oil to drain completely to the pan. On a bx1880 it takes exactly 3.18 quarts. I put 3 in, let it sit for 10 minutes, then slowly add more until the oil is a little above the second hole on the dipstick (when i first got the tractor i checked the oil level on the flat surface as a reference to what the stock oil level is).

Now the oil level is below the second hole. again, I know oil consumption in new engines is kinda normal early on but the fact that its consuming more from 50-75 hours on 15w40 then the first 50 hours on 10w30 seems odd.

I'm just OCD about these things.
Did you run the engine first, to fill the oil filter? That would account for the (very slightly) lower level.

Reactions: 1 user

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
"I was under the impression the BXs only have an outer filter. Is that the case and this is an optional inner filter?"

The pre filter I posted is an optional filter. You can order it through your Kubota dealer. I got mine through Messicks. It works and they are not expensive.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Just a thought, as far as oil goes. I dropped the stock Kubota oil at 25 hours. Changed the filter at the same time. I filled the new filter with the new oil before installing it. I'm now running Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic 15w-40. I'm always checking fluid levels etc.Guess I'm OCD about those things.. Haven't noticed any consumption issues. I have add a little anti freeze and Super UDT in the forty hours l have on the machine over the last year. Figure it's normal

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
On my BX23S the filter is mounted to the engine vertically, so there is no way that it could be filled first. If you did, the oil would run out onto the floor as soon as you put it toward the engine. As for using a level, you are assuming that the engine is mounted level with the frame. Put a level on the top of the valve cover to see the relationship of the engine to the frame. Tire pressure will also cause a variation. I am approaching 175 hours on my BX23S and it has never burned any oil, and the same goes for my former BX22. If you don't run the engine at full RPM, the rings will never seat and you will have oil consumption for the rest of the engine's life. OCD people may sometimes cause more harm by thinking that they are doing good when it is exactly the opposite. It is a tractor, not a luxury car. Treat it like the workhorse that it was intended to be. If you had bought an MTD and you babied it like I believe you are doing to your Kubota, the MTD would still fall apart in a few years.

Redhawk454

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 12, 2023
Iowa
On the bx1880, there’s a yellow band north of 3k RPM’s where the pto has to operate in. I operate mine around 3,150 rpm when mowing, and that rpm makes up the majority of the 75 hours of out on it. The tach shows rpms up to 4k but the engine maxes out at 3,400 rpm.

and yes, you can’t prefill a horizontal oil
Filter like you can on a vertical one.

Redhawk454

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 12, 2023
Iowa
My Deere 2038r is the the same way, it runs a couple hundred rpms below wide open throttle when operating 540 rpm pto.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
and yes, you can’t prefill a horizontal oil
Filter like you can on a vertical one.
You can to an extent. I typically fill to the rim initially and the media soaks up 99% of it. Then I'll add enough so that it stays below the hole when it is laid over for install.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
The oil filter on the BX1880 is a horizontal mount. I had no issues adding some oil to the new filter, and installing it onto the machine. I might have lost a drop or two,that's about it. In my case anyway I have run the machine at full throttle, not for extended periods though. Modern motors are broke in at the factory. Tolerances are much more exact than years ago. CNC machines and robotics are much more precise.Hence the use of lighter weight oils in vehicles. The days of running in rings,breaking in motors has been replaced by finished products being run on dynamo meters. No more bring in back to have the break in oil changed in a month. I worked in a car dealership and was a mechanic in a family run business. I witnessed first hand what neglect and abuse can do to vehicles.

Checking fluid levels ,changing them when recommend in the shop manual along with filters and regular service and greasing is good preventative maintenance IMO. I don't baby my equipment per say, but I do use it regularly and I'm meticulous in the way I keep everything.. It's just the way I am, can't help it.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Ummmmmm, how do they do that????

Run after full assembly I believe. Might be wrong but I don't believe they never start and run a motor or a finished product at the factory before shipment.

I know Harley Davidson runs every machine on a dyno before they ship. They are fully tested How you ask ? Take a tour of the York final assembly factory and see..

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Modern engines that are mass produced generally need little to no break in time. Hand built exotic motors are different.
The manufacturers I am familiar with spin the engines with an electric motor attached to the flywheel or crank after final assembly. That doesn't break them in, that just makes sure they spin and compress air in the cylinders. Ring and valve seating happens very soon after firing up the engine. Gears, however, take more time. I thoroughly believe the trans, differential, transfer case and timing (gear driven timing) are why some manufacturers say 500 mile break in.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Check here =

Video shows Kubota motors being inspected and fully tested before installation. They are run inside testing equipment with computer control analysis.

They days of assemble a motor, install it in a vehicle,add fluids and ship the finished product to the dealer are long gone.

Reactions: 1 user

Redhawk454

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 12, 2023
Iowa
In my ram 3500 owners manual it says the engine (6.7 Cummins) is broken in at the factory. However, run in is enhanced (transmission, differentials etc) when towing heavy loads between 500 and 6,000 miles.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
"In my ram 3500 owners manual it says the engine (6.7 Cummins)"

Nice truck.. Heavy duty.

I can't remember in recent memory I heard of engines requiring valve seals, valve jobs, crank bearings, piston and rings, rods, motor jobs, water pumps. Of course, I haven't been turning a wrench in the garage business for years. I do have a friend who owns a shop but I don't recall him chatting about major engine work other than rebuilding restoration projects. Modern technology and manufacturing has produced much better quality vehicles and products..

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
In my ram 3500 owners manual it says the engine (6.7 Cummins) is broken in at the factory. However, run in is enhanced (transmission, differentials etc) when towing heavy loads between 500 and 6,000 miles.
When towing loads, or when NOT towing loads?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: motor jobs...
one reason is the tight PA laws have forced them to build better,cleaner engines
another is, if it need 'inside work', often cheaper to toss a complet 'crate' engine in

Anyone actually know someone who had their auto tranny rebuilt by local mechanic ? Odds are tranny is swapped......