small chainsaw recommendations

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I don't care what color it is....damn thing has a job to do, and I want that job done when I want/need the job done...:)
I think that's a sentiment that we can all agree with. ;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I think that's a sentiment that we can all agree with. ;)
Torch - thanks buddy

One would think that's a commonly agreeable statement.....
Somebody will have a rebuttal..….

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Somebody will have a rebuttal..***8230;.
Not from me. (not that there's anything wrong with healthy debate)

Went to use my little itty bitty Husqvarna today and it was choking itself out under load. Maybe it was Karma, I don't know lol. But the damn thing was running like a striped ape just last week. I switched to Stihl Moto-Mix engineered fuel, about 2 months ago.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Just placed an order for the Husky 440 II e-series with a 16" bar. It should do the trick with a different chain. I may get an 18" bar for it later if needed.

Thanks all for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just placed an order for the Husky 440 II e-series with a 16" bar. It should do the trick with a different chain. I may get an 18" bar for it later if needed.

Thanks all for your suggestions. Much appreciated.
Súper!

I gave accolades to my Stihl MS211, and sure enough had an issue. Leaking bar oil pretty good.

Had seeped a while and got worse other day. New oil line on the way. Common problem for them.

Best of luck with your new saw!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Súper!

I gave accolades to my Stihl MS211, and sure enough had an issue. Leaking bar oil pretty good.

Had seeped a while and got worse other day. New oil line on the way. Common problem for them.

Best of luck with your new saw!

Figures huh? I've seen a few of the very same complaints on the husky's. They all have some issues at times. Both great brands.

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Rotary Mower; M4050 (SOLD) Woods Cadet 84
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
I had my 435 out on Tuesday evening for a tank of fuel clearing some paths at my hunting lease. Chain got a little dull from cutting stumps at ground level, but it ran like a champ. As far as the leaking chain oil, I have a Poulan Woodshark (10+ years old), a Jonesred 2255, and the Husky 435. If I don't store them all of them on their side (fill holes up) they leak bar oil all over my bench. I just thought that's the way it is?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If I don't store them all of them on their side (fill holes up) they leak bar oil all over my bench. I just thought that's the way it is?
Different saws can be different issues. Fill caps do commonly leak, especially some of the "fancy" caps they have now-a-days.

With some small Stihls, the oil tube between the oil tank and pump are a common problem...a flange/grommet-type thingy that's supposed to seal the tank off gets brittle with age, etc.

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Rotary Mower; M4050 (SOLD) Woods Cadet 84
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Different saws can be different issues. Fill caps do commonly leak, especially some of the "fancy" caps they have now-a-days.

With some small Stihls, the oil tube between the oil tank and pump are a common problem...a flange/grommet-type thingy that's supposed to seal the tank off gets brittle with age, etc.
Fill caps are good not leaking from there, they leak underneath. I've never looked in depth to see exactly where underneath, but the fill caps are all dry. I just never considered it an issue since all three did it? I think I'll look a little deeper.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I replaced the oil tube on the little MS211 today.

Hopefully it works. I didn’t want to tear the saw down enough to really clean the work area, but each point was clean on reassembly.

As I was cleaning the bar, I reminded my wife that when we were newlyweds, my normal Friday night routine was cleaning and sharpening my saw on the living room floor in preparation of a weekend’s spruce pulp cutting.

She said I can’t do that anymore....[emoji15]

Gonna leave it apart for a while to see if it leaks with a full bar oil tank..

PS - dirtydeed - Sorry for the highjack of your thread, but this isn’t worth a new one! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My only issue with late model Stihl's in general is, they are extremely chocked up in the muffler department. First thing I do is take the muffler off and open it up with a Dremel and let it breathe. Well documented mod on You-Tube and worth it.

If you want a real Stihl I own a 60's 075 with a 4 foot bar. That, is a saw.

Never use the artifical gas either. Always leaded regular (non-E) and stihl pre mix oil. Canned gas isn't gas at all, it's paint thinner.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
SCF, I prefer the older models also. You got me on size with that 4' Bar.
My MS660 wears a 3' Bar, MS460 & MS440 25"ers, and the compact MS261 16" Bar. Run DP Mufflers on all but the 261. They perform & sound so good.
Takes power to pull skip tooth square chipper and knowing how to sharpen it is a plus too. Hard to beat for bucking downed trunks though. Those guys you see in the competitions are running skip tooth square chipper.

The 4 foot roller nose is all the 75 can handle and when she idles, she sounds like a motorcross bike. I rarely use it. One, it's heavy and two, no chain brake and my left leg will attest to what 404 square tooth chipper can do. 185 stitches and almost bled out going to the hospital. ER doctor quipped what a clean cut it was and I responded that I keep my chains sharp. I get to look at my stupidity every day. Needless to say, I wear competition Kevlar chaps now.

Almost bought a 90G back then and probably should have. They are worth big bucks today, more than they sold for new.

You wind that sucker up and lay it in an oak trunk and it's amazing.

I'd sell it but it's very collectable and no plastic anywhere (except the shroud), all magnesium, so it sits in the shop for something to play with. My 028 is the same (no plastic) Stihl only made the 028 for 2 years in the 60's. She's an RPM saw, sounds like a banshee free revving. Getting hard to get parts for but Bailey's usually has what I need. They made the 'Farm Boss 028 for a number of years, my 028 and a Farm Boss are 2 different animals. Farm Boss was a consumer saw, the 028 is a professional arborist saw.

I tend to use the more modern MS saw. Lighter and easier to handle. I also have a Stihl top handle professional arborist saw. Great for one handed stuff. Very expensive and in need of a muffler job from the get go.

Have an FS66 straight shaft brush cutter too. Another oldie but goodie. Stihl licensed a Japanese company to build them. No muffler issues with that.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It's a Stihl MS211 I'm working on.

Bar isn't burnt and the saw isn't filthy.

Dirtydeed- my apologies for the detour on your thread ....

Geez, I thought a simple repair post would be simple....

Last edited by a moderator:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
It's a Stihl MS211 I'm working on.

Bar isn't burnt and the saw isn't filthy.

Dirtydeed- my apologies for the detour on your thread ....

Geez, I thought a simple repair post would be simple....

No problemo...I'm good.

My only issue is that my new "miniscule" saw was delivered yesterday. I ordered one that had the toolless chain tensioner...That's not what was delivered. I've never used one of those before and thought it could be a handy gadget. However, I just don't think it's worth sending it back and having the very same one sent a second time. I guess I'll just have to make do with the scrench model.

anyone have any experience with the tooless adjusters? Are they just a gimmick with more crap to break?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Dirtydeed - she runs like a champ, and not a drip!!

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
No problemo...I'm good.

My only issue is that my new "miniscule" saw was delivered yesterday. I ordered one that had the toolless chain tensioner...That's not what was delivered. I've never used one of those before and thought it could be a handy gadget. However, I just don't think it's worth sending it back and having the very same one sent a second time. I guess I'll just have to make do with the scrench model.

anyone have any experience with the tooless adjusters? Are they just a gimmick with more crap to break?

Did you say you got the Husqvarna 440e ?

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
No problemo...I'm good.

My only issue is that my new "miniscule" saw was delivered yesterday. I ordered one that had the tooless chain tensioner...That's not what was delivered. I've never used one of those before and thought it could be a handy gadget. However, I just don't think it's worth sending it back and having the very same one sent a second time. I guess I'll just have to make do with the scrench model.

Tooless is nice but, certainly no biggie. Some of my first 'big box' saws were tooless. Honestly, having to get out the universal tool is a non-issue. What matters more is captivated nuts.
I had one tooless saw that used a thumbwheel to adjust the chain. you'd fubble with it for twenty turns only to realize you went the wrong way. So the screwdriver chain adjuster that requires a turn or two (even the wrong way) is really easier.

A good saw only needs the chain adjusted once a day at most. New chain takes a few adjustments until it settles, then if you do not over load and over heat the chain. it does not really wear (nor does the bar) so adjustments become few and far between.

I now have two Sthil's, a little MS193 and a midsized MS261CM. I like the ease of starting the 261 with the electronic carb, it runs the same summer and winter, with the decomp, it is a easy to handle hold in the mid air and pull. The 193 weighs nothing and makes little jobs a breeze.
I only run the Sthil fuel. My dealer does all running repairs for lifetime free if you only use that fuel. Between the saws and my Combi (trimmer and pole saw) I get a case of fuel to last about 18 months. Cheap insurance.

The biggest thing I can say from my 20 years of tree work here in VA is to learn how to correctly sharpen a chain. It used to be a big ordeal and I'd file the teeth off!. In reality, it is five minutes just kissing the tips of the teeth.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Dirtydeed- one last diversion.

Put a new spark plug in 046 Magnum and cleaned out air filter.

I personally would prefer a traditional chain tension mechanism. Like you say, I’d be concerned with the tool-less types working properly.

Thanks so much for letting me join in with your thread!

Last edited: