Slips when pulling a load

jamesparkhyde

Equipment
l295dt, B27
Mar 11, 2010
Langley, WA, USA
Here is an un-diagnosed problem I have with my L295DT. It is an intermittent problem. Mowing, tilling, using the front loader the tractor runs fine. Some of the time I can plow a whole field with it. BUT, sometimes when plowing it just won't drag the plow. I hear a kind of whining, slipping sound that is coming from the rear end -- beneath my seat -- not from the clutch or the transmission, and it just won't pull. Any ideas what is wrong?
Thanks,

Jim.

jamesparkhyde

Equipment
l295dt, B27
Mar 11, 2010
Langley, WA, USA
That's a very good question, because I really only plow in low first gear, but I'm pretty sure it happens in any gear because once when I was driving it home it was slipping then too (on slight uphills). The really strange thing is it is intermittent, and also I hear it below or behind my seat, not up front at the gearbox or clutch.

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
Just to be clear, your tractor is a conventional geared transmission type, correct?

If this is the case, the only point from engine to tire that should "slip" would be the clutch plates. Everything else, from transmission gears and shafts, drive shafts, differentials, axles final drive gears and all is direct coupled, tooth to tooth, if you will. If I'm wrong about this hopefully someone will jump in with the correct information which might help you out.

You don't smell any burned clutch when it slips? Any sign of a leaking rear engine seal that could migrate oil to the clutch plates? The noise could be coming from where the problem is or could be migrating down the drive line?

Good luck!

jamesparkhyde

Equipment
l295dt, B27
Mar 11, 2010
Langley, WA, USA
I have never changed the hydraulic fluid or the filter. That is very interesting about what could possibly slip, it makes sense to me. As for the sound migrating, I guess anything is possible. I will definitely change the hydraulic fluid and filter, though, give it a test and check back in.

Thanks,

Jim.

Breeze

Equipment
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
What I was getting at, confirming that your tractor has a conventional geared transmission, was that hydraulics would have nothing to do with slippage in the drive system. It's engine, clutch, pressure plate, gears, drive shaft, more gears and axles, just like a truck.

If say, the splines on either axle were eaten down and somehow that axle could slip coming out of the differential, you'd start going in a circle. Both axles doing this at the same time, you're more likely to win the lottery. Pinion gear losing mesh with the differential ring gear? This happens but the failure is most often if not always catastrophic.

You didn't say but I'm getting the feeling your tractor is 2WD? Your transmission is a conventional geared unit?

damnnissans

Equipment
B6100DT, Ford 4500 TLB, Too Many Gravely WBHs
Dec 17, 2011
New Windsor, Md
If say, the splines on either axle were eaten down and somehow that axle could slip coming out of the differential, you'd start going in a circle.
more than likely if the axle splines were worn, and would allow the axle shaft to spin freely inside the differential side gear, you would not being going around in a circle, you wouldn't be moving at all.

100% of the power would be going to the side of the differential with no spline engagement and 0% would be going to the undamaged side. (until you locked the diff and the undamaged side would power the tractor forward and maybe feel like it wanted to drive in circles)

my guess is the clutch

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
He stated a whining sound which ususally indicates fluid and what is UDT used for?? EVERTYHING in the tractor. Are the gears in the transmission not lubed up by the UDT fluid?? Seems to me if its gear related its either going to go or not. And when he said a whine from under the seat that's where the hydraulic pump is located.

Breeze

Equipment
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
what is UDT used for?? EVERTYHING in the tractor.
While geared transmission drive trains may use Hydraulic Fluid for lubrication, geared transmission drive trains do not "slip" for lack of lube. Drain all the fluid and the headlights still work too. :D

DNissan: Gotcha on the axle splines, gotta agree.

The OP seems to have taken some time off and so will I. Clutches slip, gears don't.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
If it is a gear drive tractor then there is no hydraulic pump under the seat.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
No hydraulic pump under the seat on a gear transmission, so what operates the 3pth?

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I was thinking of the piston under the seat that works the 3pth.

Had a small brain fart on that one.

jamesparkhyde

Equipment
l295dt, B27
Mar 11, 2010
Langley, WA, USA
I'm back. I have two tractors, so when one isn't working I can use the other one, which keeps me busy but takes my attention away from the one that needs fixin'. From reading the replies so far, I'm still most attracted to the hydraulic filter/fluid change solution. First of all, if it is a possible cause, it doesn't involve major mechanical repairs. Also, the tractor does not go around in circles, and it seems to me that if the the splines were damaged it wouldn't pull under any load. It's a four wheel drive traditional geared tractor. Not two wheel drive, not hydrostatic.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
You havent seen a new-ish fluid leak anywhere have you? I'm still back with a clutch slippage but grasping at heat or grease type issues with the clutch pack/flywheel causing the slippage.

jamesparkhyde

Equipment
l295dt, B27
Mar 11, 2010
Langley, WA, USA
No, there are no fluid leaks. Not sure what is meant by "heat or grease-type issues". Any way to check that out? So does it boil down to the clutch? The tractor is a 4wd direct transmission. There seem to be three ideas: 1) transmission/hydraulic fluid (the suggestion is to replace it and change the filter, but I can't find a filter and it has always been maintained at proper levels. but I never have replaced it.) But "geared drive transmissions do not slip for lack of fluid" 2) Worn axle spline(s) But the tractor does not "run in circles", and it hasn't gotten worse over time. 3) The clutch. Well, that's what people seem to be saying. So should I plan to split the tractor apart and replace the clutch? Big job, but if that's it, then that's what I'll have to do.

Last edited:

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Their is nothing else to slip on a gear drive tractor other than the clutch. Before you go splitting the tractor. Have you tried adjusting it? How much free play do you have on the clutch pedal before you feel it starting to push on the pressure plate?

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Their is nothing else to slip on a gear drive tractor other than the clutch. Before you go splitting the tractor. Have you tried adjusting it? How much free play do you have on the clutch pedal before you feel it starting to push on the pressure plate?
Agreed, Before you do split, ensure you have completed the proper adjustment procedures and have given a true load test of some sort to help decide. As said, splitting this one is a bit of work.