skunks

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
So, it's starting to cool off again. Seems like every year at this time i always end up with a small battle with a skunk. Every year at this time, it trys to den under the back sun room.

Thought I had the problem licked last year. Went around the perimeter of the sun room, and the spots where it could dig under. I dug down and placed pavers in all those spots. No sign of the skunk. No more digging. Thinking I got the issue licked, I let down my gaurd.

So around 4 am, the dogs start going ballistic. I put them out figuring it's a deer along the fence line. Half a sleep, i head back to bed. Thats when I start smelling something odd. My subconscious immediately starts screaming skunk:mad: Here's the issue. The son of a b$&43$$$ skunk figured out that there is a doggy door to the sun room. Now my dogs aren't in to mauling. I can deal with a one time spray. They are butt sniffers. And that mother flipping skunk let drive in the bloody sun room. And them damn dogs just let it mosy on out the doggy door:mad:

Here's the question. How in the bloody hell do you get that smell out of hardwood?:mad: The skunk, i'll have to settle with the pistol

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Daren, this formula has been around for years. It was developed by a vet. who was going to market the product, but discovered it didn't stay "stable" very long in storage. So he made it available for everyone.

Mix 1 qt of hydrogen peroxide with 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of liquid dawn soap.

Use a cloth or rag or just a spray bottle (whatever works best for your situation). Leave it for a few (5) minutes and rinse it off with cold water.

Use the same formula for your dogs. Just use warm water to rinse. The smell will be gone!!!!

jeffb

Equipment
2010 Grand L5740 HST, LP RCF2072, JD Z810 54"
Oct 28, 2014
Monett, MO
Daren, this formula has been around for years. It was developed by a vet. who was going to market the product, but discovered it didn't stay "stable" very long in storage. So he made it available for everyone.

Mix 1 qt of hydrogen peroxide with 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of liquid dawn soap.

Use a cloth or rag or just a spray bottle (whatever works best for your situation). Leave it for a few (5) minutes and rinse it off with cold water.

Use the same formula for your dogs. Just use warm water to rinse. The smell will be gone!!!!
What he said, been there done that last year and this formula was the ticket. We dumped the remaining batch on our clothes in the washer to get rid of the smell from washing the dogs.

Dawn cuts the "oil" which is what makes the stink stick. Peroxide kill the stink bacteria and baking powder helps absorb and remove.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Thanks guys, i'll give it a try when i get home tonight

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The skunk, i'll have to settle with the pistol
Been there, done that. Back in '86 I was at my place in the mountains staking out the cabin location for the building permit when a large skunk approached me in broad daylight. (10am) It was quite aggressive, and followed me 3 laps around the car. On the forth lap, I was able to retrieve some firepower from the car & drilled him through the top of his ornery little head. Closer inspection (not too close) revealed slobber & foam all down his chest, runny nose & eyes, & patches of fur missing. Called Fish & Game to pick it up & it was determined to be rabid. Thank God no one was bitten & it didn't spray.
Few years later on a camping trip in southern AZ my dog decided to go visit the "kitty" that had just gone underneath the truck, getting sprayed right on top his head. Everyone in the campground brought us all the tomato juice, canned tomatoes, ketchup, & soap they could spare, but we still spent a smelly, miserable night until we could get to town the next day. Wish I had known about this solution then… that dog smelled faintly of skunk for about three weeks.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
D2cat,

thank you. That stuff worked great. Even removed the old dog smell :D

We've tried some of the store bought stuff that has an enzyme in it, in past years and it worked so so. Think I paid 15$ for the last stuff. Would have to to give them a couple baths in order to get them smelling semi decent. Then my wife would end up spraying them with her perfume. This stuff worked in one 5 minute bath. And cost about 3 bucks. I'm definitely a believer. Works really good for a general deoderizer for a room too:D

Little foot, we've had rabid skunks around here in the past few years. They killed a couple last year bout 2 miles down the road. They were warning of rabid bats in the area too. Dad shot a rabid fox back in the 80's on the farm in Vermont. Fox was heading for my brother and I but didn't get any where close. Dad saw it coming across the field acting odd and our St Bernard intecepted it. Course he had his shots but had to spend a couple weeks at the vets in quarantine to be on the safe side

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Discounting Rabid sorts, skunks are VERY smart.

Get a doggy door with electronic key locks. Put the lock releases on your dogs collars so it only opens for them. The skunk can't get in.

You can drive them off with a garden hose and a nozzle that can project over ten feet. The motion sensing sprinklers work on them too, as well as other critters, if you want to operate in area denial mode.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
A tap or two with a BB gun also works. Just stand back a little ways. So have been told.;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
At least the sunroom is seperate from the main house. Wife wanted me to add one to the main house and i said hell no for the same reason. The sun rooms collected all sorts of critters, from a possum, to the skunk fiasco the other night, and one ticked off turtle. Didn't realize the turtles hissed till I found my jack russel on a chair stairing at the corner. Kid had left the door open and the turtle waltzed in and took over:rolleyes: Rooms gonna get torn down and redone in a couple of years. so i'll hold off on the electronic one. The person who built it cut some corners. Especially with the electric,so i've disconnected all the outlets except for the one that was existing when the house was built. That and my dogs tend to hit the door full tilt if there is a critter in the yard. Those electronic locks tend to have a slight delay. I'm afraid if the dogs hit it full tilt, they are gonna come to a sudden stop :D

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Having had a dog do just that (security plate was still in coming back from a vacation), they only do it ONCE! After that, he went up and poked his nose through it to make sure it was 'open'!

If you are going to rebuild the room, you might want to consider an 'airlock' style doggy door system which is two doggy doors connected by a small tunnel. If the outer one is electronic, it will slow the dogs down enough to allow the outer one to work properly and it will keep the room warmer or cooler depending on what you want. Outside critters will be less attracted to the tunnel type anyway, if they poke their nose in, they see nothing.

chad450r

Equipment
B2650, LP 60"Box scraper, LP FDR1660, 64" Blower...
Sep 23, 2014
Michigan
At least the sunroom is seperate from the main house. Wife wanted me to add one to the main house and i said hell no for the same reason. The sun rooms collected all sorts of critters, from a possum, to the skunk fiasco the other night, and one ticked off turtle. Didn't realize the turtles hissed till I found my jack russel on a chair stairing at the corner. Kid had left the door open and the turtle waltzed in and took over:rolleyes: Rooms gonna get torn down and redone in a couple of years. so i'll hold off on the electronic one. The person who built it cut some corners. Especially with the electric,so i've disconnected all the outlets except for the one that was existing when the house was built. That and my dogs tend to hit the door full tilt if there is a critter in the yard. Those electronic locks tend to have a slight delay. I'm afraid if the dogs hit it full tilt, they are gonna come to a sudden stop :D
That's great you mention Jack Russell's ... I call my three, Jack Russell
Terrorist not much escapes the path of a angry/hunting Jack :) average one or two skunk encounters a year.. Above supplies always on hand...

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That's great you mention Jack Russell's ... I call my three, Jack Russell
Terrorist not much escapes the path of a angry/hunting Jack :) average one or two skunk encounters a year.. Above supplies always on hand...
Mines a snake killer. He'll hop all around them, jump in and snag them in the middle and sling them around like a pair of nun-chucks. Hence the nick name jacky chan:D he actually stays away from the skunks. He stays out of firing range and bark up a storm. He sends in the weiney dog for the dirty work;) I wouldn't recommend making a sudden move towards my wife, grandkids, or daughter. He was swinging from a boys crotch one day when he tried to rough housing with my daughter :eek: good thing he was wearing baggy pants:D:D:D. I had to give him a couple extra treats for that. And don't tick him off or else he'll poo in your slippers. You can ask my son about that one:)

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you have pet urine on carpet you can use a black light to see exactly where it is. Then can use the same formula to spray and clean the spot/s!

Using tomato juice on a dog that's been sprayed by a skunk is a waste of good tomato juice.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Using tomato juice on a dog that's been sprayed by a skunk is a waste of good tomato juice.
After my experience, I think you're probably right. If it added any effectiveness to the soap we washed him with, I'd be hard pressed to prove it.
Should have just mixed it with my beer...

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
The formula for de-skunker on here should also work well on poison ivy/oak for the same reasons.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Using tomato juice on a dog that's been sprayed by a skunk is a waste of good tomato juice
A much better use for it would be adding Vodka and a stick of celery :rolleyes:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Using tomato juice on a dog that's been sprayed by a skunk is a waste of good tomato juice
A much better use for it would be adding Vodka and a stick of celery :rolleyes:
Yes sir :D i like your thinking:cool:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I was wondering if his dog likes the stick of celery in the drink he's giving it... :D
Would definitely calm the dog down:D:D wouldn't want to be anywhere near the dog after the tomato juice and vodka work through it. The results might smell worse then the skunk:eek::eek:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here's a pic of the skunk sniffer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk