Size pallet forks for L3901?

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
I'd like to get some pallet forks for my L3901. I don't have a specific purpose for them, I would just like to have them for things that pop up. We have a small hobby size tree farm and are getting a couple of cows. I'm no expert so I'm looking for recommendations - Length of forks for all around use? Weight of forks and capacity considerations? What about a higher see-through frame?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I bought a set of 42" forks locally. Rated for 2200 lbs. They were much cheaper than anything else I could find. I think I paid $350 for them. For the most part, I have just moved pallets with it, and it works well for that. I did use it to hoist my tiller off my trailer that I had purchased. My forks can be positioned by moving them from one groove to the next. This seems to be a common design. Well, when hoisting my tiller, the forks want to tilt towards one another because the chains squeeze the forks together since the forks can wobble on their mounting spot. (I had the chain wrapped around both forks.) So, I sort of wished I had forks that mounted and slid along a bar. I know better now, but otherwise, I am content with the forks.

markchief

Mar 26, 2017
East Windsor CT USA
Also, the total lift capacity of a new L3901 is 1131#. If you remove bucket and attach a skid steer type fork setup, calculate your lift capacity by suctracting bucket weight, adding skid steer weight, then add or subtract the difference depending on which was heavier. Hope this helps you out. Start slow, stay safe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Be very cautious using forks.... aka as long extensions of your bucket.

There are many sad posts on the forum by owners who destroyed their bucket cylinders after installing forks.

The relief valve in your tractor's hydraulics only functions when you are moving the joystick. After you release the joystick the fluid is locked in and you have no protection.

Think of the forks as a cheater bar on a socket ratchet. They generate a lot more leverage working against the hydraulic cylinders.

Using the forks to drag back logs, uproot stumps, hang a chain fall from to lift an engine block, each of these actions subjects your bucket cylinders to extreme forces and will result in bent push rods and split gland nuts.

Dave

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
You are spot on with your own assessment of 42" @ 2k cap. Agree about taller frame too.

I have the Landpride version, and it is my most used attachment on my 3301. Very beefy unit. Even taking into account the weight of forks and the SSQA setup, I'd say you still have 700-800 lbs of capacity.

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
All great advice. Brand recommendations welcomed.

Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
I'd like to get some pallet forks for my L3901. I don't have a specific purpose for them, I would just like to have them for things that pop up. We have a small hobby size tree farm and are getting a couple of cows. I'm no expert so I'm looking for recommendations - Length of forks for all around use? Weight of forks and capacity considerations? What about a higher see-through frame?

Thanks!
I have a 3901 and have no regrets. I first went to the dealer for pallet fork price, $900.00. I purchased the same forks as Tpack, less than 1/2 the dealer quote and I use them allot. Trimmed some large trees on my boundary and moved the large limbs, worked great. Purchased a bale spear and slipped a 3inch sched 40 pipe over it to reach items in the back of the shed. Would not be without pallet forks.

gsganzer

Mar 5, 2015
Denton, Texas
I bought a pallet fork/bale spear combo from Palletforks.com, I bought the 42" forks, similar to this model. forks and spear combo I say similar, because mine has bale stabilizers too (not sure you really need the stabilizers), which it looks like the current offering does not. The 2" receiver hitch is also pretty useful.

You'll find them incredibly useful. I bet I use the forks as much as I use the bucket.

Last edited:

gsganzer

Mar 5, 2015
Denton, Texas
I did use it to hoist my tiller off my trailer that I had purchased. My forks can be positioned by moving them from one groove to the next. This seems to be a common design. Well, when hoisting my tiller, the forks want to tilt towards one another because the chains squeeze the forks together since the forks can wobble on their mounting spot. (I had the chain wrapped around both forks.) So, I sort of wished I had forks that mounted and slid along a bar. I know better now, but otherwise, I am content with the forks.
Related to this post, be very careful putting chains or slings to the forks. By twisting a fork, you risk it popping loose and you'd be in a world of hurt. It's not an approved lifting device and on job sites, OSHA would freak out for doing it. They actually make a lifting device that slides onto both forks that prevents the twisting Nicfin alluded to.

On my forks (combo forks/spear), I also have a 2" receiver. I use that for attaching a chain or sling using one of these receiver shackles

Reactions: 1 user

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
All great advice. Brand recommendations welcomed.
The most common forks around here are 48in long 4in wide 3,700 lbs w/ a frame back, to prevent material from falling off the back of the forks.

48 in forks work well with pallets and round bales.

Considering the lift capacity of most utility tractor loaders, I don't think anything higher rated is really necessary.

The forks will slide together if you wish to wrap a chain around both forks.

Low back, or backs with a center cutout are designed for Skid Steer use where you exit through the front.

I wouldn't pay much more than $500 for a new set.

The forks I have came from; http://www.msattachments.com/-80-fork-frame-set.html

MS attachments happens to be close to me, so I pick them up at their site where they build them.

Jwoo 1800

Equipment
B2650
Apr 10, 2020
Oak Harbor, WA
I bought a set of 42" forks locally. Rated for 2200 lbs. They were much cheaper than anything else I could find. I think I paid $350 for them. For the most part, I have just moved pallets with it, and it works well for that. I did use it to hoist my tiller off my trailer that I had purchased. My forks can be positioned by moving them from one groove to the next. This seems to be a common design. Well, when hoisting my tiller, the forks want to tilt towards one another because the chains squeeze the forks together since the forks can wobble on their mounting spot. (I had the chain wrapped around both forks.) So, I sort of wished I had forks that mounted and slid along a bar. I know better now, but otherwise, I am content with the forks.

Cut a 2x6 a couple inches wider than the static gap of your forks, cut a "U" notch in each end deep enough that it fits over the inside lip of each fork and stays in place. Wrap your chain around both forks and lift away. The compression strength of a 2x6 should be more than adequate to match the lifting capacity of the compact or small utility tractors. If you're lifting all the time, it might be worth it to rig up something similar out of metal, but for the occasional trailer offload cutting up a scrap 2x6 is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a production lifting bar assembly. My 2 cents.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Cut a 2x6 a couple inches wider than the static gap of your forks, cut a "U" notch in each end deep enough that it fits over the inside lip of each fork and stays in place. Wrap your chain around both forks and lift away. The compression strength of a 2x6 should be more than adequate to match the lifting capacity of the compact or small utility tractors. If you're lifting all the time, it might be worth it to rig up something similar out of metal, but for the occasional trailer offload cutting up a scrap 2x6 is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a production lifting bar assembly. My 2 cents.
Good advice. Thanks.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I have a 2018 L3901 HST and purchased a UA frame with 42" forks, it's a great fit for this tractor and American made.

Check out

United Attachments

UA Made in the USA 42" Skid Steer Pallet Fork Attachment with Blades

at palletforks.com

I like the top of the fork frame which gives extra protection if a load falls back in any way. I purchased a similar set by UA a year before with 48" forks for a MX5800.

I agree with all the prior comments on lifting capacity as you extend out on the forks capacity falls away quickly. I just tried to lift a pallet with my L3901 that had my chipper on it and weighed 950 lbs, it was the max that the loader could lift, it just managed to do the job with the revs on high (loaded rear tires and 600lb rear ballast). Good luck with your selection.

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
I had ordered these from Prime Attachments, 48 inch rated 5500 lbs after I pre ordered a snow pusher. He charged me $750 with free shipping because of my pre order. My L4240HSTC-3 handles them well and they are over built for my machine. They are double rated for my capacity and worked well when I had to unload an automotive lift that was 12 foot long and transported 3/10 of a mile.
Don’t forget to use ballast in the rear of the tractor!
https://primeattach.com/products/pallet-forks/

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Got my Titan forks for my L4701 (think its the same FEL as your L3901) from palletforks.com. Their web site doesn't say 60" forks can come with them but in talking to them on the phone, they got me a set of 60" and 48" with the frame with trailer receiver hitch for 500 bucks with free shipping.

When moving brush, I have the 60" forks on the outside and the 48" on the inside. Poor mans grapple bucket.

https://www.palletforks.com/skid-st...th-2-inch-trailer-receiver-hitch/FRLDREC.html

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
I have the Kubota 36" forks on mine, got them when I bought the tractor. I use the forks almost more than anything else, just moving things around the property. They also make a good portable work table. Sometimes I'd like 42", but most of the time they're fine.

Attachments

eiresurg

Apr 30, 2019
Central, MN
Use mine all the time. Very handy. One piece of advice: don’t get them too short, or you won’t be able to see the tips very easily. Mine are 48”. I’m 6’4”. My tractor is a L3560 HSTC. I struggle at times to see the tips of the forks when approaching a pallet at ground level. Put a mark on the ground and approach it with your tractor with bucket an inch off ground. Stop when it starts to vanish and measure distance from marker to back of bucket. You may try leaning forward as you approach that marker to figure the absolute shortest length you could comfortably use. I wish mine were about 6” longer. Oh, and, paint the tips orange so they’re easy to see. Have fun!

southernboy

Equipment
Kubota L2501 4WD HST, LA525 Loader, Land Pride RCR1260 Cutter, Land Pride BB1260
Jul 25, 2018
Boaz, Alabama
Adjustments.jpg
I went with a 42” set from Pro Works and couldn’t be happier. It’s the most used implement I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
When adding a boat-shed to the side of my hangar we used C-clamps to clamp a piece of plywood to the forks to make a work platform. We used it to get the welder and the cracker-box up to the workplace for welding up high. Worked out very well. (We did not notify OSHA.)

Attachments