Size doesn't matter? Since when?

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
My wife and I decided to retire to a "hobby" farm, so we bought a 15 acre farm in SE Michigan. I know I'm going to need a tractor, but after spending weeks looking at new and used tractors, as well as watching dozens of youtubes, and reading forum posts, I'm no further along as far as choosing the right size.

Of our 15 acres, 7 acres are presently being leased to a farmer.
In the future, I can't see using that land for much more than pasture, one time seeding.
We intend to buy animals, horses, goats, chickens. We have an old (1850) farm house, a hip roof barn, apx 3000 ft², a Chicken barn, also apx 3000 ft²

Trying to decide which tractor to buy based on chores that I can foresee.

loader and pallet forks to move muck and other stuff from point A to point B.
We have brush that needs to be cleared, and grappling to pick it up and move it.
Snow clearing - we have a stone, gravel driveway, so either a blade or a brush

All of our fencing is rotten and/or missing, so I'm thinking about an auger, definitely rent.
All of our electric from house to barn etc is above ground, I'd love to dig a trench and bury it, trencher, rent.

The driveway stone is periodically restoned and needs to be graded, some blade, maybe same as snow
We have a lot of water coming into our basement(seasonally high water table), so digging a french drain, and/or tile and/or grading earth away from home, digging trenches for tile.

Everyone that I've spoken with thus far, says not to buy a backhoe, but that's the one implement I see needing quite a bit.
I'll be the most popular guy in the neighborhood with a backhoe to loan out :)

Accessories needed
Loader (buy)
Pallet forks (buy)
Bush hog (buy)
Grapples, root rake (buy)
Blade, snow and/or box blade (buy)
Auger (rent)
Trencher (rent)
Backhoe buy or rent
Chipper/Shredder (buy)

I know many of these can be rented, but time is money, so I'm planning to buy all except auger and trencher

I've been looking at several brands, and frankly it comes down to ease of access to dealers
Kioti, Mahindra, New Holland, Case IH -- All too far away
Kubota, Deere - just right, not too far, and lots of stock

Not happy with Deere's right to repair issues, and proprietary quick connect accessories
Frankly, if new, then it's going to be Kubota, if used, then either Kubota or Deere will do.

I really hate yardwork, farm work is ok, but maintaining an ornamental lawn is a chore for a servant. All that time and money for what? A lawn? Not for me.
If I thought I wanted to cut my lawn, I'd buy a zero turn mower, not use my tractor

I've been looking at used tractors too.
If I could find a good, full size tractor, with loader and backhoe, I'll have saved enough to buy a second, smaller "residential" type tractor.
Two used tractors, or one new.
Budget? $50k, but I really don't want to screw up the choice and spend twice, gotta get this right on first attempt.

I've been looking at the Kubota L47, L4701, L4060, and MX tractors, and the Deere 4044M/R, with loader/backhoe.

I've been given advice that less than 40hp is going to be a disappointment, so I've been looking at that size.

Am I going to be sorrier buying too much tractor? Sorrier still with too little?
I realize there are several questions in my post, but it kind of sums up all that I've read and I've spent a few weeks looking at auctions, going to dealers and reading forum posts
I have a 4060HSTC. That is hydro with a cab and cruise. You can do a lot of work with it. A 4760 has a heaver front axel and a bigger loader.

Reactions: 1 user

bsd

Equipment
L4060HST-LE, IH S300 ('55)
Jan 18, 2022
Not sure were you are in SE Michigan but I got mine at King's Equipment in Jackson.
I used the Equine discount but to get that discount you have to pay cash
Went there this am. Didn't have a lot of stock, but I think I could make due with one of the tractors in stock.
Which equine club would make the most sense for a small farm?
We're not into any particular breed, just taking in rescue animals, and giving them a home. Also known as pasture ornamentation.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Went there this am. Didn't have a lot of stock, but I think I could make due with one of the tractors in stock.
Which equine club would make the most sense for a small farm?
We're not into any particular breed, just taking in rescue animals, and giving them a home. Also known as pasture ornamentation.
My understanding from prior posts you just join for cutting horses through Kubota. Can google for a link.