Size doesn't matter? Since when?

bsd

Equipment
L4060HST-LE, IH S300 ('55)
Jan 18, 2022
Thanks, BSD.

For whatever reason, the strike-through has vanished.

SDT
Funny thing is, I never clicked submit on my reply. Walked away and left it for later.
It self-submitted; forum software's version of self-abuse?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
This is my 1st "retirement". When *we* get tired of this, and *if* *we're* still alive, then retire for real. Where? $64,000 question. I think this will be the death of me though, so not a big problem worrying about what's next.
I retired for 5 years when 54, then went back to work, until 66...sounds like you are on the right path...I don't think retiring means not working physically doing what one wants to do though. I think that IS PART of a great retirement.

Reactions: 2 users

bsd

Equipment
Jan 18, 2022
I retired for 5 years when 54, then went back to work, until 66...sounds like you are on the right path...I don't think retiring means not working physically doing what one wants to do though. I think that IS PART of a great retirement.
Agreed 100%. Sitting on my ass in front of a screen for 20+ years has destroyed my body. If I don't get out and work, it will end me.

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
I’m gonna be a jerk here (not a first time) and say that nothing on your list of chores screams for the need of a large tractor. If you have the plans for spearing hay bales then disregard but when I had horses I found square bales much more convenient.

For a hobby farm where you say you will only use about 1/2 of the 15 acres with driveway maintenance, cleanup and some animals many folks have likely handled that with a BX. If you really want a cab then an LX might work.

I love spending other people’s money and I buy lots that I don’t need (certainly vehicles with capabilities far beyond my typical commute) but you could buy every implement you’ll likely ever need with a surprisingly capable B/LX/L (standard) series and have enough left over for a vacation.

I managed my previous 5 acres (all used) with horses, a 500’ gravel drive along with helping my neighbor with his alpaca farm with a JD2320 (B series equivalent) and it did get used to it’s max a few times but I never felt the need to upgrade it.

When I was shopping for my current LX I had lotsa people advising me to get 50+ horsepower and a few frame sizes larger because that’s what they have on their 4 acres to carry their garbage cans down the drive and once a year spread some mulch/gravel. “You might need it someday!”

Enjoy your shopping!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
Agreed 100%. Sitting on my ass in front of a screen for 20+ years has destroyed my body. If I don't get out and work, it will end me.
I am horrible with motivation but excellent with responsibility so we bought our hobby farm and have animal plans (miniature donkeys) partly to keep active once retirement hits.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
tractors do not actually get smaller, it is just that the tractor tasks one opts to perform, tend to get bigger!
Probably the most astute observation I've read on this forum. Very wise words indeed! (y)

Reactions: 1 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Not sure were you are in SE Michigan but I got mine at King's Equipment in Jackson. They (last time I was by a month or so ago) had a bunch of tractors in stock. (Unlike last Fall when I ordered mine :) ). They also by far offered the best pricing between the dealers in Charlotte and Williamston.
I used the Equine discount but to get that discount you have to pay cash or get financing at market rates or a loan from a bank or credit union. Either of those options is likely negate the advantage of the Equine discount unless you pay the loan of pretty quick to hold down the finance charge.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@bsd, I can't add much here other than to say that I can't imagine anyone would buy an MX and be disappointed with the performance. At first glance it appears to be a big tractor, but it's surprisingly nimble but incredibly capable. If I made a mistake when I bought an MX6000 ROPS it's that I should have gone with the cab model first time around. The dust can be brutal when mowing, moving dirt or running a land plane/leveler, not to mention the obvious comfort when moving snow around. I corrected that "mistake" and was able to sell the open station model and figured that it cost me about $2k to use if for a year so not a big deal.

Really think about what @fried1765 said, and maybe add in the fact that I owned a BX25TLB for five years and don't miss it at all. Other than the backhoe, there's nothing I would use the BX for now if I still had it. I only have 20 acres but an MX is the smallest tractor I would ever want to own these days.

Reactions: 2 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I second this opinion!

I have an exceptionally low hour 2006 Kubota L48 TLB, which is the older brother of the L47 TLB.

IMHO the L47 is the exact machine for the needs you describe.
It may be very difficult to find a used L47,....... and $50K will likely be a bit short for a new one.
If you could find a low time L45/L48/M59 those would be good also.
Even an L35 would be fine, (t is a dedicated BH) though it is a bit smaller.

All mentioned above are Kubota dedicated TLB's.
Any of the above will be vastly superior to a CUT farm style tractor, with the add on backhoe.

I would recommend against the similar size John Deere 110 TLB.
A very nice looking machine (I nearly bought one), but it has a spotty history of cracked transmission housings, that are essentially cost prohibitive to repair/replace.

Some here may recommend against buying a backhoe!
Those are people who have never owned a Kubota dedicated TLB!
How easy is it to remove backhoe and install the 3ph on a dedicated TLB?

bsd

Equipment
Jan 18, 2022
It's listed in your profile as something you own. Just a FYI.
Aha, the magic of browser form auto-fill. The profile field is "equipment", and I must have been searching for an lx3310, and didn't notice. Thanks

bsd

Equipment
Jan 18, 2022
I am horrible with motivation but excellent with responsibility so we bought our hobby farm and have animal plans (miniature donkeys) partly to keep active once retirement hits.
My plan to a T

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
My wife and I decided to retire to a "hobby" farm, so we bought a 15 acre farm in SE Michigan. I know I'm going to need a tractor, but after spending weeks looking at new and used tractors, as well as watching dozens of youtubes, and reading forum posts, I'm no further along as far as choosing the right size.

Of our 15 acres, 7 acres are presently being leased to a farmer.
In the future, I can't see using that land for much more than pasture, one time seeding.
We intend to buy animals, horses, goats, chickens. We have an old (1850) farm house, a hip roof barn, apx 3000 ft², a Chicken barn, also apx 3000 ft²

Trying to decide which tractor to buy based on chores that I can foresee.

loader and pallet forks to move muck and other stuff from point A to point B.
We have brush that needs to be cleared, and grappling to pick it up and move it.
Snow clearing - we have a stone, gravel driveway, so either a blade or a brush

All of our fencing is rotten and/or missing, so I'm thinking about an auger, definitely rent.
All of our electric from house to barn etc is above ground, I'd love to dig a trench and bury it, trencher, rent.

The driveway stone is periodically restoned and needs to be graded, some blade, maybe same as snow
We have a lot of water coming into our basement(seasonally high water table), so digging a french drain, and/or tile and/or grading earth away from home, digging trenches for tile.

Everyone that I've spoken with thus far, says not to buy a backhoe, but that's the one implement I see needing quite a bit.
I'll be the most popular guy in the neighborhood with a backhoe to loan out :)

Accessories needed
Loader (buy)
Pallet forks (buy)
Bush hog (buy)
Grapples, root rake (buy)
Blade, snow and/or box blade (buy)
Auger (rent)
Trencher (rent)
Backhoe buy or rent
Chipper/Shredder (buy)

I know many of these can be rented, but time is money, so I'm planning to buy all except auger and trencher

I've been looking at several brands, and frankly it comes down to ease of access to dealers
Kioti, Mahindra, New Holland, Case IH -- All too far away
Kubota, Deere - just right, not too far, and lots of stock

Not happy with Deere's right to repair issues, and proprietary quick connect accessories
Frankly, if new, then it's going to be Kubota, if used, then either Kubota or Deere will do.

I really hate yardwork, farm work is ok, but maintaining an ornamental lawn is a chore for a servant. All that time and money for what? A lawn? Not for me.
If I thought I wanted to cut my lawn, I'd buy a zero turn mower, not use my tractor

I've been looking at used tractors too.
If I could find a good, full size tractor, with loader and backhoe, I'll have saved enough to buy a second, smaller "residential" type tractor.
Two used tractors, or one new.
Budget? $50k, but I really don't want to screw up the choice and spend twice, gotta get this right on first attempt.

I've been looking at the Kubota L47, L4701, L4060, and MX tractors, and the Deere 4044M/R, with loader/backhoe.

I've been given advice that less than 40hp is going to be a disappointment, so I've been looking at that size.

Am I going to be sorrier buying too much tractor? Sorrier still with too little?
I realize there are several questions in my post, but it kind of sums up all that I've read and I've spent a few weeks looking at auctions, going to dealers and reading forum posts
Good day. Sounds like you are in for fun this spring. I am very biased towards what I have…they are both great and wouldn’t want to be without either. If I did not mow with the B MMM, then I could do with just the MX…it’s not as manueverable which makes the B handy….but the B has limitations to the the things I lift and pull. It’s very possible you will not find a perfect tractor and may end up with multiple tractors or maybe a tractor and a skid loader. That might be a thought as well. Do you already have livestock? How do you buy/load and handle the feed and supplies today? My point really is depending on how you bring home and or unload tractor size, lift capability, and transmission might be a priority? If you will receive pallets of feed(or bagged gravel, mulch, quick Crete, pavers etc) those are heavy and might nudge you to a bigger tractor unless you want to split the pallet of feed manually.(if you can estimate the weight of the pallets you might handle that would be helpful) I’d be thinking about what how you will be unloading to care for the critters. And then with that I’d also think about the transmissions…if you grabbing a lot of skids are r out of the back end of a brand new truck, I’d be thinking about HST. Do you have any intention to haul water tanks? Those are big and heavy too. With the critters that is daily care, rain snow or whatever you deal with wherever you live…got cab?

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I find it pretty easy, maybe 1/2 hr. I never timed it.
BTW I'm 69 and sometimes it takes me a while just to get myself off the floor.:oops:

I do more loader/dirt work with my tractor than mowing/farm tasks.
I bought my L47 as a loader without the backhoe. I had been disappointed in agricultural loaders and wanted something more sturdy. The L47 has a huge subframe that supports the loader. Everything is heavier duty than it's ag equivalent, even the tires. Because of a dedicated pump the loader is much faster.
It's very stable moving things like round bales.
I also wanted something my wife can easily operate. She has no issues with the six speed hydro.
Cost w/o the backhoe was $38,900 with some extras 2 1/2 years ago.
The backhoe was added about a year later for around $10k. 3D8FA523-A192-42F8-9D11-7727C047158B_1_105_c.jpeg

• Love

bsd

Equipment
Jan 18, 2022
Cost w/o the backhoe was $38,900 with some extras 2 1/2 years ago.
The backhoe was added about a year later for around $10k.
At present (Apr 2022), using the config tool at k-usa, the L47, with full front/rear valve kits has a MSRP of $61,000, no other options.
Once I configure the L47 along with the attachments I think I need, the cost is easily $100k.
A low hours L47 was spotted recently for $47k, and sold quickly.

If I see another L47 for $47k, I'll pull that $47k out of my pocket and grab the tractor

bsd

Equipment
Jan 18, 2022
Do you already have livestock?
If you will receive pallets of feed...
Do you have any intention to haul water tanks?
rain snow or whatever you deal with wherever you live…got cab?
Great questions, thx.

No, we don't have any critters yet(except for 7 cats ;))

That's part of the reason I chose to ask for advise here.
Since I don't know the full scope of the work, I'm trying to buy/size the tractor first.

Can't get horses without fencing, can't fence without auger, etc. So I need to begin with a tractor.

We only plan for 2-4 horses, apx. 12 goats, and 24 chickens, but those plans are subject to change. Once someone found that we were taking in cats, the phone started ringing, went from 3-7 in a month.

I can adjust some of the work to fit the tractor, eg taking in square bales of hay instead of large round bales. For 2-4 horses, I think that's a reasonable plan. Water can be moved around in 55g drums, sitting on a pallet, with pallet forks.

I'm fairly certain I'll eventually have more than one tractor

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Great questions, thx.

No, we don't have any critters yet(except for 7 cats ;))

That's part of the reason I chose to ask for advise here.
Since I don't know the full scope of the work, I'm trying to buy/size the tractor first.

Can't get horses without fencing, can't fence without auger, etc. So I need to begin with a tractor.

We only plan for 2-4 horses, apx. 12 goats, and 24 chickens, but those plans are subject to change. Once someone found that we were taking in cats, the phone started ringing, went from 3-7 in a month.

I can adjust some of the work to fit the tractor, eg taking in square bales of hay instead of large round bales. For 2-4 horses, I think that's a reasonable plan. Water can be moved around in 55g drums, sitting on a pallet, with pallet forks.

I'm fairly certain I'll eventually have more than one tractor
If really doing mostly loader work and no plans for a PTO or ground engagement implements. You might think more about a skid loader? Just a thought. It would be far superior to a tractor if mainly using a loader. You can get an implement to mow /brush hog off the hydraulics with a skid steer as well.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
If you’re going to use Kubota financing consider ordering the BH even though it might take a bit to get it. I think the pricing is better to purchase up front. I have the BH92 w QA bucket (18” and 16” flat face), mechanical thumb. The BH is a beast for a tractor unit IMO. I have the GL4060 and I enjoy all the bells and whistles, HST+, and throttle up, are the most useful to me. If I had spent more time researching I would have given a more serious look to the MX series, especially MX6000. More capacity in the FEL, more HP to the PTO. I think you can put a BH92 on it - and it’s less expensive than the GL line. Cab and air ride seat is a must.

• Love

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have absolutely no idea!
I
I have absolutely no idea!
I do have the 3pt. hitch parts, but......
I will likely never remove the backhoe from my L48 dedicated TLB.