Sidekick RTV-XG850 backfiring / loss of power

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
If it were me, I would have it back at the dealership BEFORE the warranty expires.

It can sit on their lot until it is repaired (under warranty) since you have it there and have expressed the problem to them (again) in writing before the warranty expired.
That is what I went in there to do originally. Finding Kubota has a new rep involved and it has been escalated to higher levels today with the dealer in the loop, I trust the dealership owners handshake. Before this Kubota was not acknowledging it as a problem. At least I have hope now. I sent out many emails so it is definitely on record but not sure if they will reopen the original case or create a new one. Dealership will let me know within 2 weeks. If it can't be fixed 100% I asked for a replacement due to only having it 30 hours that have been no fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
For sure I'd drop it off ,especially since it's under warranty. Far better to have it there, taking up THEIR space than for it to sit in your garage as a 'reminder' !
While they say one thing,heck, some new guy could come in and say 'sorry, out of warranty'.....
Once they have possession, it's pretty obvious THEY have to do something.

Reactions: 2 users

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
For sure I'd drop it off ,especially since it's under warranty. Far better to have it there, taking up THEIR space than for it to sit in your garage as a 'reminder' !
While they say one thing,heck, some new guy could come in and say 'sorry, out of warranty'.....
Once they have possession, it's pretty obvious THEY have to do something.
I really rather have it locked up safe inside then sitting out behind a building in the weather. As long as I have paperwork in place, I will be able to get some use from it without worrying until there is a fix plan in place. That could take time. I asked for a refund or replacement as an option because of problems since new but the dealer said he can only do what Kubota authorizes in a case like this. Supposed to get an update within 2 weeks. I trust the dealers handshake about this because he has been trying to get this resolved for months and he knows how frustrating it has been for me. I have been wrong before though.

• Dislike

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Once they have it, THEY are responsible for it !! Heck if it got stolen from THEIR yard, THEIR insurance buys you a new one(maybe has the 'better' engine ? As for the 'out of the weather', rain ain't going to hurt it !!
The 'update in 2 weeks' is a bad omen to me. Sounds more like a stall tactic. WHY would it take more than 2 days to get an answer ? Heck, in less than 2 HOURS, Kubota Canada put a lot of coins into my account last year.
Yeah, I'm 70 and cynical.

Reactions: 1 users

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Once they have it, THEY are responsible for it !! Heck if it got stolen from THEIR yard, THEIR insurance buys you a new one(maybe has the 'better' engine ? As for the 'out of the weather', rain ain't going to hurt it !!
The 'update in 2 weeks' is a bad omen to me. Sounds more like a stall tactic. WHY would it take more than 2 days to get an answer ? Heck, in less than 2 HOURS, Kubota Canada put a lot of coins into my account last year.
Yeah, I'm 70 and cynical.
I'm almost 70 and don't trust Kubota at this point. I also am wondering why it took this long to have them escalate this. At this point I do not think there is a complete fix in place but I can see where letting something like this go on will affect sales of this unit so something has to be done for machines affected. I don't see where sitting at the dealership will make a difference at this point. I have heard Kubota Canada has better customer service from some of my youtube subscribers also.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I'm almost 70 and don't trust Kubota at this point. I also am wondering why it took this long to have them escalate this. At this point I do not think there is a complete fix in place but I can see where letting something like this go on will affect sales of this unit so something has to be done for machines affected. I don't see where sitting at the dealership will make a difference at this point. I have heard Kubota Canada has better customer service from some of my youtube subscribers also.
I would have to agree with @GreensvilleJay drop that big rolling paper weight off at the dealer immediately.

Reactions: 1 users

catalyst

Equipment
BX80, RTV-XG850
Sep 30, 2018
St. Clair
A couple updates. First I ran down to the kioti dealer and looked at tractors. The CX 2510 was too small for me. The pedals were too close and loader control hit my leg so that is out. Drove a CK 2620 non cab version around the yard and am really impressed by it. Very comfortable and smooth. I love the joystick for the loader location. They didn't have a cab version to try but can order one. The prices with rebates seem really good.
Second, on the way home I stopped at my Kubota dealer to have a come to Jesus discussion because my Sidekick warranty only has a couple weeks left. Turned out positive in the end. Apparently there was a meeting with a new Kubota rep about my problem and it seems like those emails I sent and these forums may have been read. The issue is being escalated and I got a promise it would be taken care of even if my warranty expired. The dealer was going to call me as I walked in. Still have to wait and see exactly how it will be fixed. No more talk of it being caused by me short tripping and there is nothing wrong with it so that makes me feel better. Hopefully I will know more next month and don't have to worry about using it for now.
Corporate doesn't care about us. They made that very clear in the reply to my Atty General. I provided links to everything, including this thread.

*YOU* may get assistance, but you are under warranty and you should be getting taken care of. However, people in my situation are hosed. We'll get into my machine once it warms up a bit.

Shame on Kubota for handling it like this.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Corporate doesn't care about us. They made that very clear in the reply to my Atty General. I provided links to everything, including this thread.

*YOU* may get assistance, but you are under warranty and you should be getting taken care of. However, people in my situation are hosed. We'll get into my machine once it warms up a bit.

Shame on Kubota for handling it like this.
I am seeing no difference letting it sit there and warm up until it's up on the gauge or just giving it a couple minutes before driving. Actually seems to be worse letting it idle longer so that short tripping blame does not change the issue and the oils getting thinner with a grey brown color still. I have heard there are now 2 more in my area and hope they come forward and join Orangetractortalks.com to post. Really heartbreaking how this has been handled.
The Kioti dealer couldn't believe this when I told her the story and warned her to be wary of taking any Sidekicks as trade ins.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
We'll get into my machine once it warms up a bit.
I am seeing no difference letting it sit there and warm up until it's up on the gauge or just giving it a couple minutes before driving. Actually seems to be worse letting it idle longer so that short tripping blame does not change the issue and the oils getting thinner with a grey brown color still.
SideKick, I'm pretty sure Catalyst meant that they will work on it once it gets a little warmer. ;)

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Well I got good news today. Kubota has reviewed my case and they have offered to replace my machine. Apparently they want mine back for testing and working on a fix. I was offered a 2024 that is supposed to have the issue fixed. I asked my dealer if there was anyway I could switch to the diesel model because I just don't want to take a chance on another gas machine and it looks like he will allow me to pay the difference in price between the2 and handle the swap on his end. What a surprise after months of being denied a solution. It seems like the new dealer rep was the one that got this done and he actually cares about about the customers. Wow, I just can't believe this. Thanks Kubota. Sure pays to have a dealer that fights for you and is on your side.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Well I got good news today. Kubota has reviewed my case and they have offered to replace my machine. Apparently they want mine back for testing and working on a fix. I was offered a 2024 that is supposed to have the issue fixed. I asked my dealer if there was anyway I could switch to the diesel model because I just don't want to take a chance on another gas machine and it looks like he will allow me to pay the difference in price between the2 and handle the swap on his end. What a surprise after months of being denied a solution. It seems like the new dealer rep was the one that got this done and he actually cares about about the customers. Wow, I just can't believe this. Thanks Kubota. Sure pays to have a dealer that fights for you and is on your side.
Wow! Congrats! You stuck with it and won!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You still buying a Kioti?

• Haha

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
You still buying a Kioti?
I will reconsider a Kubota now. There are some features Kioti offers that I really like but it seems like having a dealer that will fight for me when warranty is denied is the most important part of buying anything at this point. Still in shock because I was expecting they would replace the engine.

Reactions: 3 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Awesome! Congrats.

Dealer name?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
It's far cheaper and easier to just swap machines, in the grand scheme of things.
Do the 'math of shop time'. Say it take 20 hours to swap out bad engine and install a good engine. That's 20 hours of other work NOT being done on other customers machines. THAT could be a LOT of higher profit jobs lost,maybe some customers never come back ?

Have to wonder WHY the 54HP gasser choice, especially since Kubota is noted for diesels ? 5 or 6 similar machines all diesels....ONE gasser ? Why choose the orphan ??

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
It's far cheaper and easier to just swap machines, in the grand scheme of things.
Do the 'math of shop time'. Say it take 20 hours to swap out bad engine and install a good engine. That's 20 hours of other work NOT being done on other customers machines. THAT could be a LOT of higher profit jobs lost,maybe some customers never come back ?

Have to wonder WHY the 54HP gasser choice, especially since Kubota is noted for diesels ? 5 or 6 similar machines all diesels....ONE gasser ? Why choose the orphan ??
Mine is 48hp and from what I was told the newer 54hp 2024 wouldn't have the problem. I felt the same as you after my experience and asked to switch to the old tried and true diesel model if I pay the differencein price. Apparently it is the same size so all my upgrades will swap over.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
That’s great to hear! I’ve been following your plight and happy for you.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
John Blazey in Palmyra NY. Turns out they were fighting in the background without me knowing to get this resolved for a while now.
That's great. I'm really glad Kubota made the right decision for ya. Thats a little bit of win for all of us. I also really hope they take care of the others that have similar issues.

@Sidekick really looking forward to you getting the new utv, haha and continued honest opinions, don't hold back.