Sidekick RTV-XG850 backfiring / loss of power

catalyst

Equipment
BX80, RTV-XG850
Sep 30, 2018
St. Clair
If it is a design flaw / manufacturer defect, it should not matter if the machine was sold new or used.

I really dislike that Kubota is using that as a sticking point to try and force the dealers to extend hail Mary good will gestures. It is either a defect and design flaw, or it isn't. I consider an engine failure at 400 hours to be quite premature.

I will continue to post updates as we dig into the machine, but as I mentioned earlier - it is still pretty cold here. I don't really plan to dive into it until the weather warms up a bit. I really can't see us buying Kubota anything ever again unless they somehow come back to the table. Currently, our only recourse looks to be private legal action and notifying other customers of this potential issue.

Reactions: 1 user

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
It turns out I am considering one of these units. Having read this thread I kind of leaned towards a Polaris Ranger but I see my local Kubota dealer has a "deal" on a new 2022 Kubota RTV-X Series RTV-X900W Diesel. What say you folks? Light duty work (hey I am getting old) but I kind of like the way the BX25 consumes fuel.

Reactions: 1 users

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
It turns out I am considering one of these units. Having read this thread I kind of leaned towards a Polaris Ranger but I see my local Kubota dealer has a "deal" on a new 2022 Kubota RTV-X Series RTV-X900W Diesel. What say you folks? Light duty work (hey I am getting old) but I kind of like the way the BX25 consumes fuel.
Go for it! What kind of “deal” though? 🤣 I see a “lineup” of machines at my local dealer…haven’t stopped to see if what they are though.

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Supposedly the new 54 hp ones are fixed. Here's a video of my swap to the new RTV-X2.
We call it slowpoke after the sidekick. The 900s are supposed to be dogs and hard to shift from what I have read. This RTV-X2 is slow and a little less stabile on tapered ground then the gasser but seems to turn in a tighter radius. It is soo smooth from the start and not jumpy taking off. I would not touch one of the old 46 hp sidekicks with a 10 ft pole.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Mowbizz - the "Deal" is still a question with me and it shows this has sat on the lot for a few years, so...

Sidekick - thanks for the advice - I will definitely make sure I know what the engine is about before pursuing it further (good info on the shifting as well - that could be an issue for "us")

catalyst

Equipment
BX80, RTV-XG850
Sep 30, 2018
St. Clair
Mowbizz - the "Deal" is still a question with me and it shows this has sat on the lot for a few years, so...

Sidekick - thanks for the advice - I will definitely make sure I know what the engine is about before pursuing it further (good info on the shifting as well - that could be an issue for "us")
Sat for a couple of years? That is a pass for me.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
As it turns out, me too. Getting info on the unit turned out to be a challenge, and the sitting part left me uncomfortable as well. So Polaris it is - a little Ranger 570 arrives Thursday. Lugbolts recommendation and Magicmans push (Buy the Boat...) was all it took.

Reactions: 2 users

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
As it turns out, me too. Getting info on the unit turned out to be a challenge, and the sitting part left me uncomfortable as well. So Polaris it is - a little Ranger 570 arrives Thursday. Lugbolts recommendation and Magicmans push (Buy the Boat...) was all it took.
Congratulations, I think you made the right choice. If I had known what I know now 3 years ago, I would have gone with a Polaris also. Enjoy it.

catalyst

Equipment
BX80, RTV-XG850
Sep 30, 2018
St. Clair
I am glad a thread like this was able to help you make an informed purchase.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Catalyst - quite right. I caught myself reflecting the same thing - a lot of very knowledgeable folks on this site and it's great they are so willing to share their expertise and experience.
DSC00763.JPG

Last edited: