Shutdown of a BX Tractor

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I was looking at the fuel cutoff today so I would know how to stop the engine if the solenoid failed. That brought up a question. When you turn the key to off the electric fuel pump stops. Does the BX diesel require the electric fuel pump to continue running? Does the electric fuel pump just provide fuel to the injector pump for startups? I thought stopping the fuel pump would stop the engine, but I read that blowing the ignition fuse would require manually operating the fuel cutoff to stop the engine.

For anyone who hasn't looked for the fuel cutoff, the phillips head screw at the bottom of the picture is on the lever that operates the cutoff. You push the screw to the right and hold it until the engine stops.

Attachments

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Only two ways to shut down a diesel . Choke off its air or stop its fuel . In a "runaway" situation the engine is getting another source of fuel introduced to it so choking off the air may be the only way to get it it to stop .
I'm not sure if the ingector pump could draw enough vacuum to pull fuel through in a runaway situation . I would think not .
But yes , the fuel pump is required to make it run . Because the fuel source is not gravity fed .

Last edited:

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
I was looking at the fuel cutoff today so I would know how to stop the engine if the solenoid failed. That brought up a question. When you turn the key to off the electric fuel pump stops. Does the BX diesel require the electric fuel pump to continue running? Does the electric fuel pump just provide fuel to the injector pump for startups? I thought stopping the fuel pump would stop the engine, but I read that blowing the ignition fuse would require manually operating the fuel cutoff to stop the engine.

For anyone who hasn't looked for the fuel cutoff, the phillips head screw at the bottom of the picture is on the lever that operates the cutoff. You push the screw to the right and hold it until the engine stops.
Grouse Feathers,

Look at the solenoid in your picture. If the engine fails to stop when the key is turned off, just PUSH IN the solenoid plunger by hand to stop the engine. This cuts off the flow of fuel to the injector pump. The electric pump is NOT required for the engine to run, BUT it DOES prevent fuel starvation under high RPM and high load to the engine.

Just to satisfy your curiosity, try is by hand with the engine at idle, and see what happens.

Dave

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I think I've seen similar setups on older diesels and a rod would connect to that 'screw' and come out some where near the instrument panel so you could manually pull the knob on the rod and stop the engine via starvation.

As has been said before, won't stop an oil based runaway, but would stop a locked fuel condition runaway. An interesting mod idea...

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Grouse Feathers,

Look at the solenoid in your picture. If the engine fails to stop when the key is turned off, just PUSH IN the solenoid plunger by hand to stop the engine. This cuts off the flow of fuel to the injector pump. The electric pump is NOT required for the engine to run, BUT it DOES prevent fuel starvation under high RPM and high load to the engine.

Just to satisfy your curiosity, try is by hand with the engine at idle, and see what happens.

Dave
On the BX2370 it is much easier to push the phillips screw on the fuel shutoff lever. The solenoid pushes the same lever when it operates. If you push the solenoid plunger you are pushing the solenoid spring and the fuel shutoff spring. If you push the phillips screw it is easier to reach and you are only pushing against the fuel shutoff spring.