Shopping for a Kubota

Bikeaholic

Sep 21, 2013
Savannah, GA
Hi Folks,
Just joined here and looking for some advice on what size tractor I will need.
I currently have 8.5 acres of grass to cut and plan to dig a pond and do some light clearing of scrub and small trees. Maybe getting another 14 acres of un-cleared land covered in mature oaks and pines with a good bit of scrub and some palmettos. This is in the southeast corner of Georgia so the soil is sandy with no rocks but lots of roots. I will need to be able to push over small trees and cut down and drag out pieces of bigger trees to clear the other property.
I am currently looking at a used 4x4 MX4700HST but it does not have a loader so I will need to add one. Any suggestions on other brands of loaders or should I only use Kubota? Also is this tractor big enough or do I need to rent something a lot bigger and buy a smaller tractor for grass cutting and lighter duty dirt hauling and digging?
Thanks,
Richard

Last edited:

wolfalalone

Equipment
L3800DT,FEL,BB1260,RCR1260
Aug 7, 2013
Dickson,TN
Hi Folks,
Just joined here and looking for some advice on what size tractor I will need.
I currently have 8.5 acres of grass to cut and plan to dig a pond and do some light clearing of scrub and small trees. Maybe getting another 14 acres of un-cleared land covered in mature oaks and pines with a good bit of scrub and some palmettos. This is in the southeast corner of Georgia so the soil is sandy with no rocks but lots of roots. I will need to be able to push over small trees and cut down and drag out pieces of bigger trees to clear the other property.
I am currently looking at a used 4x4 MX4700HST but it does not have a loader so I will need to add one. Any suggestions on other brands of loaders or should I only use Kubota? Also is this tractor big enough or do I need to rent something a lot bigger and buy a smaller tractor for grass cutting and lighter duty dirt hauling and digging?
Thanks,
Richard
Richard have you considered the L-Series? I just bought a L3800 and I couldn't ask for anything better. Their is a lot of people that have these tractors.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would say that a MX4700HST 4x4 would work great for what you want to do. and I would get a factory loader for it.

As far as size goes it's really not the size but how you use it.
I have a small B7100 with a home built loader, and I've moved at least 100 yards of dirt, sand and rock in the last couple days, and in the last week knocked over about 50 aspen, cotton wood, and pine trees, dug the stumps out after knocking them over and then cut them up and hauled them in to become firewood.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The MX4700 is a great tractor, but I agree with Wolfman- get the factory loader. Also, you will probably be better off money wise if you find a tractor with a loader, instead of buying them seperately.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Like said, get a Kubota loader and look for a rig that already has a loader.

We have more acreage and have been super pleased with the L3800DT!

Haze

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT 4WD FEL; FORD 841 ELENCO 4WD FEL; Ford 641 Workmaster
Aug 13, 2013
LA, (Lower Alabama)
The MX4700 has plenty of power to do everything you mentioned and then some.... and you will likely pay more buying the loader separately. What you'll want is 35-40 HP to get the job done.
I have 10 acres in south Alabama. I recently purchased a new L3800 4wd with the loader and have been very pleased with it.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
We all know finding a used loader of any flavor is damn hard to come by let alone a Kubota branded loader. I would get a new Woods or Bush Hog brand loader. There are several great after market loader manufactures out there.