Shifting issues

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
I recently bought a Kubota L35 tractor/loader. When I shift any gear 1-8 both forward and reverse it seems like the shifter is sloppy or it's not engaging like it should. I did have to tighten up bolts that hold the shifter in place but it's still sloppy. When setting it in any gear the shifter isn't aligned with the number I want it to be in but a little before it. At times when I'm trying to get it in gear it will engage hard and you can hear it pop in gear. The clutch pedal goes all the way to the floor and doesn't seem like it has any pressure against it but I'm not really sure how it's supposed to feel if it's working properly. Thank you

Steve Neul

Equipment
B5200
Jun 3, 2017
Terrell, TX
If it's anything like my tractor the shifter is a ball with a slot milled in it and the bolts are pins that fit in the slots. Over time the slot gets worn wider and the pins get worn more narrow. My tractor is discontinued so I took common grade 8 bolts and put them in my lathe and turned a pin end on the bolts to fit. The pin is probably bigger than actual parts would be but it helped a lot. I really needed a new shifter rod. Since I don't have a milling machine I would have to have a machine shop fabricate the part.

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
If it's anything like my tractor the shifter is a ball with a slot milled in it and the bolts are pins that fit in the slots. Over time the slot gets worn wider and the pins get worn more narrow. My tractor is discontinued so I took common grade 8 bolts and put them in my lathe and turned a pin end on the bolts to fit. The pin is probably bigger than actual parts would be but it helped a lot. I really needed a new shifter rod. Since I don't have a milling machine I would have to have a machine shop fabricate the part.
Thanks I'll check that out. The shifter handle is very sloppy any direction I push it. I'm going to try and adjust the clutch today just to see. I have noticed when I have the RPM up it doesn't always go in gear but when I'm at idol it works great. Any suggestions on that or am I just crazy?

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
I was sushi
Thanks I'll check that out. The shifter handle is very sloppy any direction I push it. I'm going to try and adjust the clutch today just to see. I have noticed when I have the RPM up it doesn't always go in gear but when I'm at idol it works great. Any suggestions on that or am I just crazy?
I was also reading that the L35 are very sensitive when it comes to not enough, to much, or not the Kubota brand hydraulic/transmission fluid? Is this accurate?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I recently bought a Kubota L35 tractor/loader. When I shift any gear 1-8 both forward and reverse it seems like the shifter is sloppy or it's not engaging like it should. I did have to tighten up bolts that hold the shifter in place but it's still sloppy. When setting it in any gear the shifter isn't aligned with the number I want it to be in but a little before it. At times when I'm trying to get it in gear it will engage hard and you can hear it pop in gear. The clutch pedal goes all the way to the floor and doesn't seem like it has any pressure against it but I'm not really sure how it's supposed to feel if it's working properly. Thank you
The foot clutch is conventional. Is the linkage loose or bent?
The transmission is GlideShift. The shifter is moving a selector valve via a cable. It can be adjusted. If the cable breaks, it's expensive to replace, but I think somebody posted a DIY replacement.
If you're going to be doing your own repairs, I suggest getting the WorkShop Manual. Unfortunately, it's not available for free. Sometimes the parts diagrams are helpful. They're available on the Kubota website or on Messick's.

Reactions: 1 user

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
The foot clutch is conventional. Is the linkage loose or bent?
The transmission is GlideShift. The shifter is moving a selector valve via a cable. It can be adjusted. If the cable breaks, it's expensive to replace, but I think somebody posted a DIY replacement.
If you're going to be doing your own repairs, I suggest getting the WorkShop Manual. Unfortunately, it's not available for free. Sometimes the parts diagrams are helpful. They're available on the Kubota website or on Messick's.
I will check those adjustments today. I did buy the manual and downloaded it but the repair section of it where the pictures are at are very hard to read. Is there a particular symptom I'm looking for if it's the transmission?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I will check those adjustments today. I did buy the manual and downloaded it but the repair section of it where the pictures are at are very hard to read. Is there a particular symptom I'm looking for if it's the transmission?
Is this any clearer?

Screenshot_20210408-105125~2.png
The GlideShifts have a bunch of hydraulic valves and passages, so I'd recommend Kubota fluid when changing fluid. And there are some pressure checks. But your symptoms seem like a cable/adjustment issue.
The clutch sounds like a wear/adjustment issue or something's bent, broken, or disconnected.

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
Is this any clearer?

View attachment 57840
The GlideShifts have a bunch of hydraulic valves and passages, so I'd recommend Kubota fluid when changing fluid. And there are some pressure checks. But your symptoms seem like a cable/adjustment issue.
The clutch sounds like a wear/adjustment issue or something's bent, broken, or disconnected.
YES!! Thank you for that picture. I'll keep you posted.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As PoTreeBoy stated it's a GST, Glide shift transmission.
There is no actual shifter, it's all done hydraulically.

What your explaining sounds more like a fluid contamination or wrong fluid issue.
If the fluid is bad it will delay shifts and give harsh shifts.

If the shuttle is sloppy, it might need some parts replaced to get it back to feeling good or it just might need somethings tightened up.

If the tractor is moving fine threw all gears, then the Manual disk clutch is fine (you have 2 clutches) the hydraulic clutch is controlled by the shuttle lever.

You do know you DO NOT need to engage the mechanical clutch to shift it at all, either between gears or forward to reverse.

Start with a complete fluid and filter change!

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
As PoTreeBoy stated it's a GST, Glide shift transmission.
There is no actual shifter, it's all done hydraulically.

What your explaining sounds more like a fluid contamination or wrong fluid issue.
If the fluid is bad it will delay shifts and give harsh shifts.

If the shuttle is sloppy, it might need some parts replaced to get it back to feeling good or it just might need somethings tightened up.

If the tractor is moving fine threw all gears, then the Manual disk clutch is fine (you have 2 clutches) the hydraulic clutch is controlled by the shuttle lever.

You do know you DO NOT need to engage the mechanical clutch to shift it at all, either between gears or forward to reverse.

Start with a complete fluid and filter change!
Agreed as I plan on changing the fluid. The guy i bought it from claims he changed all the fluids and filters 5 hours ago. They all do look brand new but you never know. He did say he put kubota fluid in it?? I appreciate helping me out. I did notice my bucket is kinda weak and when using the backhoe it's very touchy. I know they all use the same fluid so maybe that has something to do with it?

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
I
Agreed as I plan on changing the fluid. The guy i bought it from claims he changed all the fluids and filters 5 hours ago. They all do look brand new but you never know. He did say he put kubota fluid in it?? I appreciate helping me out. I did notice my bucket is kinda weak and when using the backhoe it's very touchy. I know they all use the same fluid so maybe that has something to do with it?
I just pulled the dip stick to see the fluid (looked many times already) and there is brownish fluid/dirt from the bottom of the dip stick to the low mark on the dip stick. Everything above the low mark is clear fluid. Just a FYI

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
Is this any clearer?

View attachment 57840
So I adjusted the shift linkage per in instructions. The tractor has very tight shifting now and is way better. The only issue is that when shifting from one gear to another gear there is a delay as it takes probably 1-2 second to catch. Not all the time but majority of the time. I also have to adjust it back a little as when in neutral it wants to go forward or reverse in #1 gear.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
So I adjusted the shift linkage per in instructions. The tractor has very tight shifting now and is way better. The only issue is that when shifting from one gear to another gear there is a delay as it takes probably 1-2 second to catch. Not all the time but majority of the time. I also have to adjust it back a little as when in neutral it wants to go forward or reverse in #1 gear.
Remember, this isn't a hydrostatic transmission. When you move the lever, the tranny is disengaging the clutch pack, shifting gears and reengaging the clutch. And when going between 4 and 5 it's also shifting ranges. It can be a little disconcerting when going up or down hill.
Like Wolfman said, use Kubota fluid for optimum performance.
Edit: Do you by chance hear a 'chirp' when you shift? This is a sign of air in the system which could affect shifting. My chirps were resolved by replacing all the little suction line hoses. It was new to me, so I'm not sure if the shift speed was affected.

Last edited:

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
N
Remember, this isn't a hydrostatic transmission. When you move the lever, the tranny is disengaging the clutch pack, shifting gears and reengaging the clutch. And when going between 4 and 5 it's also shifting ranges. It can be a little disconcerting when going up or down hill.
Like Wolfman said, use Kubota fluid for optimum performance.
Edit: Do you by chance hear a 'chirp' when you shift? This is a sign of air in the system which could affect shifting. My chirps were resolved by replacing all the little suction line hoses. It was new to me, so I'm not sure if the shift speed was affected.
No I don't hear a chirp. When I say delay it acts now when you shift say 2-3 as if it's stuck in neutral for a second then catches and goes. Which I believe is normal it just seems to be excess in the amount of time it takes to catch the next gear. When I first got it I noticed I had a couple fittings leaking that made a hiss sound when the fluid would go through it. I have tighten everything up that was leaking and replaced a hose as well. I will be changing fluids tomorrow. Going off of that repair diagram you sent me I only adjusted the bottom linkage as the top one was all the way tight already. It wants to move at times when it's in neutral now. Should I back off the bottom linkage that I adjusted earlier or back off the top one a little as it says in the repair diagram? I followed the 2nd step on the repair diagram that says if it doesn't engage while in first gear.

My next question is where do I get cheaper tie rods at? The left side with the adjustment nut is $200. The right side being one whole shaft is $400. That's a little crazy in my book but nothing cheap these days.
Thanks again for all your help I was worried I just got a tractor that needed a new transmission right away.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
N

No I don't hear a chirp. When I say delay it acts now when you shift say 2-3 as if it's stuck in neutral for a second then catches and goes. Which I believe is normal it just seems to be excess in the amount of time it takes to catch the next gear. When I first got it I noticed I had a couple fittings leaking that made a hiss sound when the fluid would go through it. I have tighten everything up that was leaking and replaced a hose as well. I will be changing fluids tomorrow. Going off of that repair diagram you sent me I only adjusted the bottom linkage as the top one was all the way tight already. It wants to move at times when it's in neutral now. Should I back off the bottom linkage that I adjusted earlier or back off the top one a little as it says in the repair diagram? I followed the 2nd step on the repair diagram that says if it doesn't engage while in first gear.

My next question is where do I get cheaper tie rods at? The left side with the adjustment nut is $200. The right side being one whole shaft is $400. That's a little crazy in my book but nothing cheap these days.
Thanks again for all your help I was worried I just got a tractor that needed a new transmission right away.
Maybe too tight? There are detents in the valve to make sure it's not between positions.
Parts prices sometimes seem to go up with the age of the tractor and whether they're unique to that model.

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
Maybe too tight? There are detents in the valve to make sure it's not between positions.
Parts prices sometimes seem to go up with the age of the tractor and whether they're unique to that model.
So the shifter works fine when you first start the tractor and let it run. No issued. I did notice yesterday and today I ran it using the bucket and backhoe for a hour each. Leaving the RPM up. Every time I shifted it during it only would engage 1-2 gears and had trouble any gear above that. Suggestions?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
That's never the answer someone is looking for. Any idea of what might be the issues or where I should start at?
It's hard to diagnose potential multiple mechanical problems based on a short vague description of issues and no photos. For all I know your clutch is shot and the shifter was broken off an re-welded crooked. Ok loose shift fork.

You still have to open it up to see whats going on. How good are you at guessing christmas gifts by shaking the box?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
So the shifter works fine when you first start the tractor and let it run. No issued. I did notice yesterday and today I ran it using the bucket and backhoe for a hour each. Leaving the RPM up. Every time I shifted it during it only would engage 1-2 gears and had trouble any gear above that. Suggestions?
1 Did you get the foot clutch adjusted? You can check it for slipping by engaging the PTO and see if it keeps turning when the tractor stops.
2 Did you change the hydraulic oil and filter? The filter could be clogged, giving low pressure, keeping the clutch from fully engaging.