Shifting issues

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
1 Did you get the foot clutch adjusted? You can check it for slipping by engaging the PTO and see if it keeps turning when the tractor stops.
2 Did you change the hydraulic oil and filter? The filter could be clogged, giving low pressure, keeping the clutch from fully engaging.
No POTree I didn't get a chance this weekend. I'm going to adjust the clutch tomorrow. As for the fluid i did not change It. I took a sample with me to the local kubota shop where the old school kubota mechanic (who's smoking a corn comb pipe) told me the oil looked fine. I asked him if I should just change the filter just to see and he said it would be a waste of money. Again I don't know for a fact which oil the last guy used just going off him saying he used the kubota utd. My gut is telling me just to change it just to know it's done. I was reading about similar issues in others L35 and seems there's 3 breathers under the tractor? I do know the one comes from the front axle has a rubber boot around it and leaks but I don't believe it's part of my issues. I will attach what document I found online and maybe you could help me. I did notice that the forward/reverse shifter know has been rewelded onto it's handle right at the steering wheel if that says anything??

Attachments

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
1 Did you get the foot clutch adjusted? You can check it for slipping by engaging the PTO and see if it keeps turning when the tractor stops.
2 Did you change the hydraulic oil and filter? The filter could be clogged, giving low pressure, keeping the clutch from fully engaging.
As far as the clutch goes I honestly think it's fine. If I push it in to engage then pto it will turn on. If I disengage it will turn off. You said see if it keeps turning when the tractor is off? Are you saying engage it and if the clutch is bad then when the tractor is off completely it will still spin or am I not understanding? Also I've said this before but both my bucket and backhoe are very aggressive in movement. Hard to move the controls but once you do they are very fast and not smooth at all.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
No POTree I didn't get a chance this weekend. I'm going to adjust the clutch tomorrow. As for the fluid i did not change It. I took a sample with me to the local kubota shop where the old school kubota mechanic (who's smoking a corn comb pipe) told me the oil looked fine. I asked him if I should just change the filter just to see and he said it would be a waste of money. Again I don't know for a fact which oil the last guy used just going off him saying he used the kubota utd. My gut is telling me just to change it just to know it's done. I was reading about similar issues in others L35 and seems there's 3 breathers under the tractor? I do know the one comes from the front axle has a rubber boot around it and leaks but I don't believe it's part of my issues. I will attach what document I found online and maybe you could help me. I did notice that the forward/reverse shifter know has been rewelded onto it's handle right at the steering wheel if that says anything??
You had indicated in post 13 that the fluid looked discolored/dirty, so I thought the filter might be plugged.

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
You had indicated in post 13 that the fluid looked discolored/dirty, so I thought the filter might be plugged.
I just spoke with the guy I bought it from and without giving to much information he started he put Kubota super UTD2. I called Kubota and they said the hydraulic oil should be fine. I will attach a picture of the oil. It ran for a few mins before this picture. I did check the clutch and everything seems to be fine. Also engaged the PTO and drove around with the PTO spinning so I don't believe it's the clutch.

Attachments

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
I
I just spoke with the guy I bought it from and without giving to much information he started he put Kubota super UTD2. I called Kubota and they said the hydraulic oil should be fine. I will attach a picture of the oil. It ran for a few mins before this picture. I did check the clutch and everything seems to be fine. Also engaged the PTO and drove around with the PTO spinning so I don't believe it's the clutch.
I did just noticed the line that runs from the front axle to the transmission which I think is a breather tube is leaking? I might of filled up the front axle to much. Also found some fresh oil around the power steering pump .

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
As far as the clutch goes I honestly think it's fine. If I push it in to engage then pto it will turn on. If I disengage it will turn off. You said see if it keeps turning when the tractor is off? Are you saying engage it and if the clutch is bad then when the tractor is off completely it will still spin or am I not understanding? Also I've said this before but both my bucket and backhoe are very aggressive in movement. Hard to move the controls but once you do they are very fast and not smooth at all.
In post 18, you indicated that the tractor pulls in gears 1 or 2, but stops pulling in 3 or higher, correct? This indicates that one of the clutches may be slipping. The foot clutch drives both the PTO and the transmission. If you engage the PTO and watch it while the tractor is moving, it turns. When you shift to 3rd and the tractor stops moving, does the PTO stop or keep turning?

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
In post 18, you indicated that the tractor pulls in gears 1 or 2, but stops pulling in 3 or higher, correct? This indicates that one of the clutches may be slipping. The foot clutch drives both the PTO and the transmission. If you engage the PTO and watch it while the tractor is moving, it turns. When you shift to 3rd and the tractor stops moving, does the PTO stop or keep turning?
I will check that after lunch. The tractor does go in any gear it just seems as if it has troubles in 3-5 gears once the tractor is warmed up. All gears work fine when the tractor is just starting out

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So the shifter works fine when you first start the tractor and let it run. No issued. I did notice yesterday and today I ran it using the bucket and backhoe for a hour each. Leaving the RPM up. Every time I shifted it during it only would engage 1-2 gears and had trouble any gear above that. Suggestions?
This symptom is very indicative of a manual clutch disk / pressure plate failing.

Run it and when it quits moving in upper gears:
Engage the PTO shaft and watch it while trying to move the tractor, if the tractor and the shaft doesn't spin you will need to split it and do a clutch job on it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I did just noticed the line that runs from the front axle to the transmission which I think is a breather tube is leaking? I might of filled up the front axle to much. Also found some fresh oil around the power steering pump .
There is no Vent line from the front axle to the transmission.
There is also no " power steering pump"

Your going to need to include some pictures of what your looking at.

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
There is no Vest line from the front axle to the transmission.
There is also no " power steering pump"

Your going to need to include some pictures of what your looking at.
I will get you a picture of underneath shortly. I will also try your suggestions once it falls to see if the PTO will continue to move or not. I should of stated the power steering cylinder that's located under the battery in the front. I had to replace one of the lines recently.

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
I will get you a picture of underneath shortly. I will also try your suggestions once it falls to see if the PTO will continue to move or not. I should of stated the power steering cylinder that's located under the battery in the front. I had to replace one of the lines recently.
Here's the tube I'm talking about underneath.

Attachments

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
That's the propeller shaft (aka drive shaft tube) not a vent or fluid carrying tube.
Gotcha. It leaks from there. It really started to leak from there once I topped off the front axle with 80/90. I have it running now to warm everything up. I just took it out cold ran it in every gear with the PTO engaged and not engaged and everything works as it should. I really have the issues once the machine has been running and warm and after I use the bucket or backhoe

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Gotcha. It leaks from there. It really started to leak from there once I topped off the front axle with 80/90. I have it running now to warm everything up. I just took it out cold ran it in every gear with the PTO engaged and not engaged and everything works as it should. I really have the issues once the machine has been running and warm and after I use the bucket or backhoe
Fluid can originate from either end of the propeller shaft tube, either the front axle is over full or it has a bad seal, same with the rear side of that tube, there could be a bad seal on the transmission end of it.

Yep because you heat up the Hydraulic fluid and all the metal and the clutch disk too.
If it's not an issue with the mechanical clutch disk (PTO spin test will tell you yes or no), then your issue is more than likely Fluid flow, pressure or internal issues.

You will need to get the WSM and follow the GST pressure testing procedures, as lagging shifting and the such could just be a input pressure issue.

Reactions: 1 user

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
Fluid can originate from either end of the propeller shaft tube, either the front axle is over full or it has a bad seal, same with the rear side of that tube, there could be a bad seal on the transmission end of it.

Yep because you heat up the Hydraulic fluid and all the metal and the clutch disk too.
If it's not an issue with the mechanical clutch disk (PTO spin test will tell you yes or no), then your issue is more than likely Fluid flow, pressure or internal issues.

You will need to get the WSM and follow the GST pressure testing procedures, as lagging shifting and the such could just be a input pressure issue.
Great! I did the pto test everything is fine. I just took it for another spin and gears 3-4 work stop working momentarily. All I did was wiggle the gear select handle back and forth side to side and it would catch and go.
There is a rubber boot looking piece that's around that propeller shaft. Where exactly is it supposed to be placed on the shaft? I'd assume we're the pipes come together underneath?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you have a maladjusted GST shift cable linkage, again the WSM explains exactly how to adjust it properly to get all gears to engage as the should.

Yes that rubber boot is supposed to be over the joint, it's also supposed to have 2 clamps on it to hold it in place.

But that being in place will not fix the leak issue, the seals are all at the front and rear of the shafts inside the cover.

Reactions: 1 user

Kingstrucking

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 5, 2021
Usa
I
Sounds like you have a maladjusted GST shift cable linkage, again the WSM explains exactly how to adjust it properly to get all gears to engage as the should.

Yes that rubber boot is supposed to be over the joint, it's also supposed to have 2 clamps on it to hold it in place.

But that being in place will not fix the leak issue, the seals are all at the front and rear of the shafts inside the cover.
I've already adjusted the shift cable linkage which made it way better then it was. I had to turn the bottom adjustment way out. It now wants to move a little when in N but I need to adjust the top one a little

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I

I've already adjusted the shift cable linkage which made it way better then it was. I had to turn the bottom adjustment way out. It now wants to move a little when in N but I need to adjust the top one a little
This is why I said consult the WSM, there is more to it than just turning one half of the cable adjustment.