sheep......

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
So this morning my Bud calls and say hey what ya doing? Drinking my coffee why.... Well I was wondering if you werent busy maybe you could give me a hand with some lambs,,,, Hmmmm lambs,, I don't like sheep,, but well lambs how hard could it be, cute fuzzy little balls of wool,,One of more stupid questions of the day. After spending 2 hours trying to get them out of the field with 4 people and 2 quads, said cute little wool balls are beginning to get on my last nerve. 10 foot wide open gate,, stop look at it and run the other way any other time they would run you over going through it!
OK 158 lambs in the barn.
OK Bud I ll see ya,,, NO WAIT WE HAVE TO WEIGH THEM.. WHAT?
Have I even mentioned that I don't like sheep, after a young ram took my knees out from under me, all the fun was gone!! 4 hours to weight and mark 158 lambs going from 40 to 140 pounds, and dont let anyone tell you that a 40 pound lamb cant knock you down, or tear up your knees..
The only smile I got was, when we were loading them into the stock trailer headed to NYC..

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
You are a hellva nice guy .........who often get taken advantage of!!!!!!!:D:)

When my wife says she wants to go uptown......I ask very specific questions.....

cause if it is only one stop I am game, but if the mall is included - my answer is a quick, "O, hell no!":eek:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Oh skeets, I can just imagine your day :(:( Now you know already, but that age bracket is the very worst to get to go anywhere you want. Absolutely schizo! Unless you put a couple of old ewes in with them that will sucker for a pail of grain and follow the shepherd through the gate, none of them will go until one brave soul can be pushed pulled or dragged first. I sure hope your buddy has better sheep handling facilities than I do for that many lambs! You are a good sport to participate in that rodeo.

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
I was just going to say "call the sheepfarmer" sung to the tune of "call the ghost busters"

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Thats nothin!
I got to participate in ostrich roundups. They is mean when they wannna be. Couple hundred pounds at 30 mph in three steps and can turn on you in a heartbeat.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I raised sheep for 20+ years, but never on that scale.

I wasn't long figuring out that it was better to con them than to chase them.

They had free choice hay at all times, but I fed them Coarse 16 sweet feed twice a day. Not much, just enough for everybody to get a taste. They knew when feeding time was and would come running. If they were head down in a particularly tasty patch of pasture and didn't see me, a couple of shakes of the bucket would bring them.

I always fed them by the hay shelter. It had a catch pen behind it. Any time I needed to catch them, I'd start feeding them in the catch pen a couple of days prior. On "the day" I'd feed them as usual, and just close the gate behind me.

The catch pen was divided into two sections with a gate between so I could sort them. That DID take a bit of doing as they were onto me by that time, but I always managed, often by myself, or with SWMBO manning the sort gate if needed.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
PHPaul, what you describe is simple, effective animal control!

I have a few head of cattle. I feed them protein pellets or range cubes as you mentioned. I've had them get out and be 1/2 mile away. I'd just need to walk out there with a bucket and they'd start moving towards me.

Many times I would see a calf off by itself and want to get it back with mom who might be off in another field. I'd just take a bucket out of the truck and put a few rocks from the side of the road, go back where mom is and rattle it. Works the same!

It's really pretty basic, come to think of it. Look at those picture of Daren's Gypsy come to get the candies she knows are in the bag. Or, how about the local church has a meal....to get folks to show up!

Things that eat are motivated by food!:D

Food seems to be a big motivator!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It is definitely easier to work with their instincts than to do what is logical in our eyes...sometimes a small lamb can lie down next to a cross fence at my house and wind up on the other side from the rest of the flock. It doesn't work to try to catch it to pick it up and move it back, or to chase it through a gate. They just hurl themselves against the fence to get back to the flock and their mother. Much easier to let the whole flock come in and envelope the loner and then lure the whole flock back where you want them with that pail of grain. My pasture has been so good the last couple of years, I haven't been feeding much grain, so if I am not careful I will be paying the piper the next time I want to catch them for deworming or vaccinating.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yep try to work with them, but the bud has about 300 acres and so far this year about 1300 lambs This is his lively hood and some times he just has to holler for help, he had half a lung removed early this year so things are a bit tuff on him.
This shipment was a spare of the moment thing, other wise they would have been right where they needed to be. I mean when a processer calls and says I need X number of lambs between this and this weight and Im paying live weight, and the truck will be there at X time,,, Well all hands on deck,, Now if he could only get a good price for the wool,, which brings me to a question,, If sheep get wet why dont they shrink ;)

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
,, which brings me to a question,, If sheep get wet why dont they shrink ;)
Just like wool pants, if you let them air dry they don't shrink. Did you ever put a sheep in the dryer and see what happens to them? :eek: :eek:

Where do you think lambs come from . . . . dryers. ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
With 35 years of Givt work under my belt I learned that if you cant type the what you mean I dont need to know and dont care

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
With 35 years of Govt work under my belt I learned that if you cant type the what you mean I dont need to know and dont care