Dec 5, 2020
AL
Back wall: done.
54E3E4BF-AB0A-4F7D-B591-43C2B083AC7D.jpeg

East wall: Done.
F706BDDD-4458-400E-A86D-9F9ECEB0DB59.jpeg

Front wall: done.
47AC28D4-9F17-4736-A588-05B6850775BF.jpeg

Shorted myself about 12 panels of vinyl because I checked with another vendor not expecting them to sell to me, and didn’t take my estimate sheet with me. Didn’t account for the gables when I redid the calculations in my head at the vendor. So, West wall, not complete.
EEB9B82A-DBEF-40D9-A5E8-B4E009BCFE18.jpeg

Doors ordered paid for. Now I wonder if the inspector is going to waffle again and tell me I have something else to do before he signs off on the permit. Be if not, I should get final on Wednesday.
One more little task for the front downspout is to put a B type elbow on to get rid of the skeeter breeder. Ok I’m

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
Looks great!! If you don't mind me asking, how many square or pieces did you use and what was just the siding cost?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Looks great!! If you don't mind me asking, how many square or pieces did you use and what was just the siding cost?
Picked up everything except soffit sheets for just under $1300 at Wallzone America. 122 pieces or I’m in big trouble with the missus for getting it wrong again. I try probably too hard to avoid buying materials I don’t need. Picked up the last 12 pieces this morning and started to put them on, but the rain that wasn’t supposed to happen started and shut me down. I’m not overly fond of playing human lightning rod, so as soon as I hear thunder, down tools and hide. The lightning you get to see and hear ain’t the ones to worry about. Probably won’t have to worry much about the one I don’t get to see/hear either. 😳

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Picked up everything except soffit sheets for just under $1300 at Wallzone America. 122 pieces or I’m in big trouble with the missus for getting it wrong again. I try probably too hard to avoid buying materials I don’t need. Picked up the last 12 pieces this morning and started to put them on, but the rain that wasn’t supposed to happen started and shut me down. I’m not overly fond of playing human lightning rod, so as soon as I hear thunder, down tools and hide. The lightning you get to see and hear ain’t the ones to worry about. Probably won’t have to worry much about the one I don’t get to see/hear either. 😳
Your approach is wise. I tend to overbuy, but only things that I figure I will have a use for sometime in the future. Siding like you needed...likely not!

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Your approach is wise. I tend to overbuy, but only things that I figure I will have a use for sometime in the future. Siding like you needed...likely not!
I try to be smarter than the average tumble bug, especially with materials prices being so stupid right now. I also tend to reuse everything that is reusable. The lumber that I used for the concrete was stuff I recovered when I demolished and rebuilt my rear deck. It’s been used for footings for the deck, for the red shed, and now the slab for the new shed. I can’t bring myself to buy new lumber to ruin with concrete.

I did get some spare 2x4x10’ to use in the shed for workbench and storage construction. I’ve got quite a collection of 4x4 posts that are going to be used to tame some scuppernong vines that look like they’re at least 50 years old. They reach the tops of some pines that are at least 70’ tall.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
image.jpg

West end FINISHED!!!!
Outside complete. Made a few trips up and down the yellow ladder today. Did most of the siding from the roof of the old shed. Did the soffit in just under an hour, including cutting all the pieces and installing them and the trim. After the doors go up, bitey bugs and other critters gonna have to ask permission to come in. Well, in theory anyway

Next thing will be the doors, excluding the bits and bobs inside getting ready to set up the work area and figure out the best way to store all the small equipment. Right now it’s complete mayhem in there. Constantly moving stuff so I can work on pallet disassembly for wall materials. The siding was on a 12.5 foot pallet, so getting some pretty good stuff from it.

Tonight’s adventure, though, is to fulfill a request for some 87 octane refreshments to some lil fellers about 100’ behind the shed. They made the big mistake of letting me find the nest after one of ‘em stung me (4 times). I don’t get even with yellow jackets, I go on murderous rampages and kill every nest I can find when one stings me
About a half pint of gasoline takes out a pretty big nest. Most of the plastic drink bottles I find back there are are the ones I used to deliver drinks on the house to the little buggers at night and then forget to go get it later
Off to prepare drinks for the yellow jackets.

Reactions: 3 users

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I've been following for awhile. Thanks for fixing the skeeter breeder spout, my OCD would kick in every time I saw it ;)
You've done an outstanding job from the looks of it. The only thing better than the joy of having the new space to utilize is the pride of knowing you did it yourself.
Looking forward to seeing the roll ups go in.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I've been following for awhile. Thanks for fixing the skeeter breeder spout, my OCD would kick in every time I saw it ;)
You've done an outstanding job from the looks of it. The only thing better than the joy of having the new space to utilize is the pride of knowing you did it yourself.
Looking forward to seeing the roll ups go in.
Yeah, lotsa little temporary work to avoid erosion and mud in the shop, but something a little more permanent today. Might have to put a link to this in the “What did you do….” Thread too. Scraped a bit with the box blade today to polish up the swale, and picked up another 1.5 yards of #57. Graded the edge of the yard against the landscape timbers I used to corral the gravel and prevent another Mayhem commercial. Tilled up the spoil pile of dirt I removed in front of the shop to prep for tomorrow’s adventure in landscaping and blended some sand and old potting soil into it. After building the box, shoveling the gravel and tilling the spoil pile, I think it might be just about Beer o’clock.
AA6BD1F0-14AC-4AC3-BDB9-AE43FB9BEC21.jpeg

Attachments

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
You squared away with the inspector yet?
Oh yeah, omitted that part. Final sign-off happened yesterday. Now I can do what I want with it.

• Love

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
Awesome!!! Was wondering how that was going to turn out! ha ha Big congrats on that part!! Headache gone! LoL

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Yeah it is. Just wish my grandfather could have seen it. I remember playing in the sawdust and wood scraps in his shop when I was a kid. Probably his influence that I have always overbuilt any project I start. I just wish I had some of his old tools to teach my grandchildren with in my shop.

Just a few more expensive bits and bobs, and the rest will be more work than cost. I’m finding that pulling pallets apart isn’t always fun nor successful. Older ones tend to come apart in pieces. A lotta work for only a little bit of usable materials.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Now that I don't have to worry about inspectors and interior heating requirements, etc, etc, gonna run over to a local chimney/fireplace supplier and pick up some stove pipe and flange fittings to put in a little wood stove that I spilt wood for when I was just a teenager. I probably fed that thing at least 10 tons of wood in the course of about 7 years. Warmed my hands and other parts of my anatomy many times by it after hunting or getting chilled to the bone in wet South Alabama winters.

Getting close to time to evacuate the old red shed and either sell it or dismantle it. Dismantling is the preferred choice so I can reclaim enough materials to make a lean-to for my wood scraps and fire wood storage. I've let more rot than I've used in the back yard because I've had no place to store it. A few 2x4's a few 4x4's a little sheet metal, and bingo, I've got wood storage that makes the effort to cut it worthwhile.

Dunno if I'll ever be the carpenter my grandfather was, but it won't be for a lack of trying or willingness to learn.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Dunno if I'll ever be the carpenter my grandfather was, but it won't be for a lack of trying or willingness to learn.
You did a really great job!

BUT I am sure you will never be as good as your grandfather was...remember, he walked a long way to school every day as a kid, and it was UP HILL both ways! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
BUT I am sure you will never be as good as your grandfather was...remember, he walked a long way to school every day as a kid, and it was UP HILL both ways! :ROFLMAO:
And in drifting snow!

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Grandpas the world over are immortalized in the song " Grandpa was a carpenter" by John Prine. Give it a listen on Youtube.

Last edited:

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Grandpas the world over are immortalized in the song " Grandpa was a carpenter" by John Prime. Give it a listen on Youtube.
Funny you mention John Prine. Definitely a fan from way back. Everybody saw Jimmy on the six o’clock news. There’s a hole in Daddy’s arm where all the money goes. Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery.

RIP John. Lost him to COVID early thisyear.
As for the shed project, built a raised bed on the east end for erosion control. The Missus is gonna put some roses in it, and we have a couple azalea bushes to move this fall. Good morning sun year round, so should get some decent flowering on the shrubs. Ran outta daylight again today, but will get a photo when I finish the northeast corner. Gonna order about 20 tons of fill and a bunch of railroad ties to do the south side of the building and change the open ditch a bit. Next project (new patio next to the house) started today. Cleaned out a very neglected flower bed(the missus did while I was filling the new raised bed by the shop). Looking at the price of irises, we’re probably iris poor. Gotta be at least a couple thousand dollars worth in what she dug up today. This is the second time we’ve dug out that bed, and we’re running out of places to put irises. Especially since they’re LSU colors. Gotta get some crimson to go with the white ones.