Sharing Grapple with 2 tractors

Papadiver

Equipment
BX2380 FEL, MMM, 3rd Valve, Grapple
Feb 10, 2019
WV
My Ford 1720 and my Kubota 2380 use different hydraulic fluids. One is a gear transmission and one is a hydrostatic transmission. Will I contaminate one fluid with the other? Is there a way to flush the grapple? Or is this even an issue?

Ron

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, mixing fluids is NOT a good idea...
you can MINIMIZE contamination, by 'cycling the ram a few times to drain _most_ of the fluid.
you'll need two hose 'connectors' to open the hoses and allow the oil to run into a 5G bucket when you manually move the grapple ram fully open<-->fully closed a few times.
You'll never get ALL the oil out so I'd read up about the types you're using, maybe you can find 'one-oil-does-both' ? A few drops probably isn't a problem but........always best toask BEFORE trouble occours.
Jay

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
My Ford 1720 and my Kubota 2380 use different hydraulic fluids. One is a gear transmission and one is a hydrostatic transmission. Will I contaminate one fluid with the other? Is there a way to flush the grapple? Or is this even an issue?

Ron
I do not do such things but many (most? folks do.

There is no easy way to flush the remote cylinder(s) and lines.

SDT

Reactions: 1 user

Papadiver

Equipment
BX2380 FEL, MMM, 3rd Valve, Grapple
Feb 10, 2019
WV
Why not drain and install the super UDT in the Ford. Then there are now worries.
My local Kubota dealer was also a New Holland dealer for many years. My Ford was purchased new there. They recommended just what you mentioned. They said to use regular UDT in my Ford with a gear transmission. They said the two will work together just fine and the mixing will be very minimal anyway. My Ford now has UDT in it!

Thanks for everyone’s comments!

Ron