Service with bucket up?

Swampcollie

Equipment
Mx5800, la1065 loader, rcf2772 mower, blade, disc
Aug 19, 2016
Sedalia, mot
last week my dealer sent a mechanic out for my tractor's initial 50 hr service. The young man was knowledgeable and professional. However he raised the fel up all the way in order to service. Made me nervous to watch. Does make it easier to access stuff.
Since i will be doing the servicing from now on, curious as to what you folks do.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Some times the fittings on the bucket can't be reached unless it is raised some.

Just don 't stand under it, but work from the side. If mandatory, use a supplemental brace.

cavjock23

Equipment
M6060,709 pull shredder, offset disk, Pallet forks, Box Blade
Apr 9, 2017
Houston, TX
last week my dealer sent a mechanic out for my tractor's initial 50 hr service. The young man was knowledgeable and professional. However he raised the fel up all the way in order to service. Made me nervous to watch. Does make it easier to access stuff.
Since i will be doing the servicing from now on, curious as to what you folks do.

I don't care how much easier it makes it you never get it under something supported by hydraulics. All it takes is a millisecond and you're either fatally wounded or severely hurt. I would insist if that was on my job site he use jackstands to hold the loader up. I have knowledge of two accidents both in the construction industry with large loaders we mechanics were working underneath buckets and the buckets came down killing. Remove the FeL or use jack stands..

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I would personally rig up an H bar to slide in and strap to the lift cylinder when the cylinder is extended. We have actual lock out bars at the shop for skidsteer loader's, Fel's on back hoes, and high reach forklifts. Couple pieces of square tubing that sleeve inside each other with a fork welded on the ends is all you need.

I personally don't trust hydraulics enough. While doing a service on one, It's too easy to snag something or knock something loose and have it drop. It only takes one "Brain Fart" ;)

Greasing is another matter, just make sure and stay out from under

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
If you do work on it locked out and have a quick attach bucket remove the bucket. While in school my son worked for a NH dealer. They had a skid steer in the shop with the boom locked out in the up position and they went to break. While on break there was a loud crash in the shop. The latching mech on the loader had a malfunction and the bucket came off appox 10 foot up in the air. If anyone had been under it they would not be here today.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
A stout piece of angle iron and strap steel and a couple bolts. A few minutes and you will have something to protect yourself.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Then there are the hydraulic hoses with right and also left hand threads. An acquaintance who had a leaking connection of the hoses for a dump obdy on truck is no more. "Tightening the leak" was the reason he got squashed.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Then there are the hydraulic hoses with right and also left hand threads. An acquaintance who had a leaking connection of the hoses for a dump obdy on truck is no more. "Tightening the leak" was the reason he got squashed.
Back in my parts sales days a customer came in and bought a muffler for his dump truck. Raised box and climbed in to replace it. Box came down on him.
I was with my buddy when he went to dump a load of brush,hosese failed.box came down in two seconds.

Mtmoriahfarm

Equipment
M8540,BX24,Takeuchi tb235
Feb 16, 2017
Rhode Island
Lost a friend to a dump body dropping on him. He was a VERY experienced mechanic. Please use caution when working around raised equipment.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Back in my parts sales days a customer came in and bought a muffler for his dump truck. Raised box and climbed in to replace it. Box came down on him.
I was with my buddy when he went to dump a load of brush,hosese failed.box came down in two seconds.
Had the same thing happen while riding with my dad in a dump truck. Dad had just got done raising the bed to dump a load of stone when the hydraulic line blew. Bed slammed down really hard. Scared the living daylights out of me. Course I as only 7 at the time. Probably has something to do with why I don't trust hydraulics now :)

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
My bet is if the dealer knew what the mechanic did, he would be chastised or fired. OSHA would not look kindly on it and I'm sure their Workers Comp wouldn't like it either.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Swampcollie, it would seem a prudent thing to do is contact the dealer in a friendly, non threating tone and let him know you're making him aware of what you felt was an unsafe practice. Hoping he can take the fellow aside and help him understand what could happen and why it's important to his business to not have the potential for a disaster.

The individual deserves the opportunity to understand what happens to folks who are unconsciously incompetent. If he continues the practice he is now consciously competent, and the monkey is on his back!

Swampcollie

Equipment
Mx5800, la1065 loader, rcf2772 mower, blade, disc
Aug 19, 2016
Sedalia, mot
You guys have convinced me of what I felt to be true. I will service with the bucket down.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
We have basically the same tractor and I changed the engine oil with the loader attached and on the ground. The only issue was that it was tough to get the new oil in and I had to get creative with a funnel. I'll take the loader off to change the oil now, unless I have the backhoe on also since you're not supposed to have the backhoe on without the loader on. I've not had any issue greasing the loader with it on the ground. However, you cannot get the radiator screen out with the loader on without raising the loader, but you don't have to get under the loader either.