Seat Springs

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
I used my BX 188 this afternoon and it did an awesome job. Lawn looks beautiful. The one thing I think needs some improvement is seat springs. I'm no small guy,l bottom the seat on ruff terrain..Are there heavier wound springs available to give more comfort for us big guys ? Thanks guys..

Reactions: 1 users

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
this may not be much help, but I saw in the manual for my l2501 there is a way to adjust the suspension stiffness. Possibly the same in other Kubotas?

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
this may not be much help, but I saw in the manual for my l2501 there is a way to adjust the suspension stiffness. Possibly the same in other Kubotas?
Trustable, I have the the shop manual.I will take a look. Thank you..

Reactions: 1 user

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
I just got mine in, so I'm gonna do the same and see, seems kinda soft.
Trustable, Just checking the manuals. Nothing on spring tension, seat sliding and tilting but no spring tension I see. I called the dealership to see if they have stiffer springs as an accessory option, the parts guy said he was not aware of any, he checked the catalog also..

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Trustable, Just checking the manuals. Nothing on spring tension, seat sliding and tilting but no spring tension I see. I called the dealership to see if they have stiffer springs as an accessory option, the parts guy said he was not aware of any, he checked the catalog also..
I have not looked at the parts manual but I would think you could buy a couple helper springs to fit inside the OEM springs from someplace like McMaster.

Dan

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
I have not looked at the parts manual but I would think you could buy a couple helper springs to fit inside the OEM springs from someplace like McMaster.

Dan
Thank you Dan, That was going to be where I looked next. I thought maybe aftermarket might make something?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thank you Dan, That was going to be where I looked next. I thought maybe aftermarket might make something?
Many sources for compression springs. I would think beefing up the OEM springs with some boosters is probably the easiest.

Dan

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Look at Danly die springs

Watch for free length and travel to solid. Often springs are near solid just due to static weight and can’t really absorb much shock movement before solid.

Can you post pictures of the seat spring system so we can see what it looks like.

I know on my old L185 there is a nut that adjusts the spring tension

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I used a couple valve springs out of an old Harley

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
I used a couple valve springs out of an old Harley
Thanks guys,I will definitely look into the link to see if they fit. That would be a solution. Old Harley Valve springs might help as a helper spring. Thanks again

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
A very simple solution that worked for me for several years is a small heavy duty inner tube inflated to your desired poundage…I weigh 260-270 and this helped the BX seat springs considerably. Eventually after a couple of patch jobs it gave up but it’s still an easy and cheap solution! Lift the seat and put the tube down and lower the seat!

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
In the summer when I mow (occasionally) with the Bx I have a seat cushion (the type you'd buy at any store selling car accessories. (BUT WAIT!, there's more) Inside the seat cushion "bag" I have a really big air bladder. The type from a blood pressure cuff. (normally would go inside a blood pressure cuff)...this one is from a "thigh cuff"...yes, that's a thing)

I can inflate it with a hand bulb to any pressure I'd like from " I can barely tell there's air in it, to: I am sitting on a beach ball." (less is usually best)

I put the same system inside my Harley seat as well.

I got them (used) from work, but I am sure you could find them online.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
In the summer when I mow (occasionally) with the Bx I have a seat cushion (the type you'd buy at any store selling car accessories. (BUT WAIT!, there's more) Inside the seat cushion "bag" I have a really big air bladder. The type from a blood pressure cuff. (normally would go inside a blood pressure cuff)...this one is from a "thigh cuff"...yes, that's a thing)

I can inflate it with a hand bulb to any pressure I'd like from " I can barely tell there's air in it, to: I am sitting on a beach ball." (less is usually best)

I put the same system inside my Harley seat as well.

I got them (used) from work, but I am sure you could find them online.
Air ride suspension seat on a budget (y)
Or is that a Whoopi cushion minus the Whoopi :unsure:

Dan

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Try and aftermarket suspension seat, OEM Kubota seats suck.
Mikester, Well I think it's the suspension, the springs are not firm enough to support a guy my size. So, today l spent about eight bucks, went to a local old time hardware store, bought two heavy wound springs that fit perfectly inside the stock springs and are held in place by the rubber stopper. It worked simply and it gives more support to keep the seat from bottoming out. I will post some pictures tomorrow.. Duel springs now on both sides of the seat. Much more support.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Mikester, Well I think it's the suspension, the springs are not firm enough to support a guy my size. So, today l spent about eight bucks, went to a local old time hardware store, bought two heavy wound springs that fit perfectly inside the stock springs and are held in place by the rubber stopper. It worked simply and it gives more support to keep the seat from bottoming out. I will post some pictures tomorrow.. Duel springs now on both sides of the seat. Much more support.

I would love to see what you came up with. I'm 6'-5" and 265 lbs. and the seat springs on my L2350DT don't really cut it when my tractor hits a bump or hole in the pasture.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If shallow seats are the problem I think there was a thread a whlle back on the topic. One solution was a 2 liter bottle pinched under the base!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I would love to see what you came up with. I'm 6'-5" and 265 lbs. and the seat springs on my L2350DT don't really cut it when my tractor hits a bump or hole in the pasture.
For suspension to work you need stroke travel to cushion bumps. K OEM tends to give you only 3/4" max stroke, changing the springs won't help much. If you are heavy and hit a bump your spine acts as your suspension to absorb the impact as you only get about 1/2" of spring travel to play with.

If you get a suspension with at least 2" stroke the springs will do their job better.

FYI both my OEM K suspension systems are sitting in my scrap bin right now for these reasons. Air ride is the only way to go IMHO.

A cheaper alternative is something like this instead of OEM
You get what you pay for. I'm tired of losing one to two weeks of my life with sciatica due to crappy seats.