Seal Issues and Decisions

Kub730095

Equipment
Kubota B7300
Mar 30, 2024
NorthEast
Hi All,

We were gifted a 1995 Kubota B7300 last year with 802 hours, LA271 Loader, 60” belly mower, rear 3 PT blade, and was used primarily for mowing by its previous owner. It is now at 925 hours, with a engine oil leak(not discovered source yet), rear main axle seal leak, front pivot axle seal leak, driveshaft seal area leak, 2 hydraulic rams leaking(very slowly, only under weight), also needing 2 new front tires, 3 old/dry rotted hydraulic lines, and needs a new cutting edge on the bucket. Of course with all the “smaller” things aside(new blades/belts for the mower deck, engine oil filter, oil, new headlight bulbs, 4 way flasher bulbs). Some of these were small issues when we received the tractor. We have already fixed 2 previous engine oil leaks(fuel pump and a dry rotted dipstick seal), rebuilt 2 lift rams, new battery, rear weight box to help out the front axle wear and had all services done within the last year. After researching the repair costs, I’m wondering if it would just make sense to upgrade to a new tractor? Any input is appreciated. New to the tractor world.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Are you willing and able to do the work yourself? Old tractors are great if that’s the case. Time dries out seals and hoses, along with the very oil they’re holding back. If you have to pay someone every time you encounter a failure a newer tractor may be for you. If you can do the labor, seals are a lot cheaper than a tractor payment. Another thing is stay on top of small problems as they arise. If you let little things go suddenly you have a mountain of issues and then it becomes overwhelming, seems that’s where you are now.

Reactions: 2 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Depends on how much you enjoy wrenching in your tractor. All sounds reasonably fixable. Some folks legitimately like to spend quite a bit of time mechanicing on their stuff. If you’re one of those people, I would suggest keeping it and fix it up. If you’re not, it’s a good project for someone else.

For me, when I got to the point I was averaging about an hour repair/maintenance time for every hour of seat time, plus stupid amounts of downtime, on our worn to a nub antiques I decided I’d rather work with my equipment than work on my equipment. So I bought a new tractor.

Kind of depends on how you want to spend your time and money.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea if your not willing and or able to do the work yourself it's going to be real expensive.
And then Yes it would be cheaper and easier to get a newer tractor without the issues.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Considering the tractor was free you have a lot of leeway for cost of repair parts/supplies, but if your hands don't fit wrenches don't spend any more on it. Time for some introspection.

Kub730095

Equipment
Kubota B7300
Mar 30, 2024
NorthEast
I have already done most of the previous fixes myself, just as my “busy” season picks up I won’t have time to do the work myself. I truly do enjoy wrenching, but in the same thought it’s not something I can spend hours on in 1 day sadly. Does anyone know what would be a comparable new tractor?

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
if you really need a tractor and can afford it get a new one. I just spent 5 hours cleaning up a large tree that fell in my yard with my B2601 and pallet forks. I have never regretted buying the tractor. I had never owned a new tractor or one with a loader prior to this . I use it mostly for mowing the grass on my 2 1/2 acre suburban lot. The B2601 is the perfect size for my needs. Prior to this I had been constantly fixing an ancient Steiner tractor that I purchased used. A real headache. Good luck.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Doesn’t sound like the leaks are too concerning…nothing major…just keep adding oil as needed and think about it for a while...

But depending on your age, you may want to clean it up, and trade it in on something new…and worry about the same thing in 20 or maybe 30 years...