Salvage PTO Drive Shaft?

FRANKLY

Equipment
Bush hog, Post hole digger, box blade
Jul 29, 2014
Decatur, AL
I have an old drive shaft that is froze up to the point that I am having to drive it apart with a sledge hammer. I have driven it out a little over half way and still have about 9" to go. Is there any hope of getting this thing cleaned up and serviceable? I am concerned about the inside of the outer shaft? How can I clean it? I keep spraying WD40, but it doesn't appear to be loosening up much.

Anyone salvaged one in this shape?:eek:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I have an old drive shaft that is froze up to the point that I am having to drive it apart with a sledge hammer. I have driven it out a little over half way and still have about 9" to go. Is there any hope of getting this thing cleaned up and serviceable? I am concerned about the inside of the outer shaft? How can I clean it? I keep spraying WD40, but it doesn't appear to be loosening up much.

WD40 won't help much. Confused though. Are you using WD40 for cleaning or to help loosen the shaft to get it out. If for removal below is a thread to give you ton of insight on better things and methods to use. Also there is some threads in here on removing other stuck items that will help you too. Search maybe Stuck shaft or Stuck Pin?

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943&highlight=Penetrate

Search net for info on Penetrate. Lots of good info.

Also search for electrolysis cleaning. Such a dip on a charge may help you clean it right up.

Last edited:

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I bought a rear finish mower that had been neglected (sat outside) and the pto shaft was stuck. After trying penetrating oil for a few days with no luck I connected it between two trees with a come-along connected to one end. I tightened it up to what I thought was a reasonable amount, then would tap the side of the shaft. If I remember correctly it took a couple of days each day increasing the pressure, adding more penetrating oil and tapping the side. It finally loosened up. It took it apart cleaned both shafts as best I could added plenty of grease and it works great. Still using it every summer.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Geo said it best, WD40 is great stuff, but NOT for lubrication nor breaking nuts/bolts and the like a part. It was made as a Water Displacement.

PB blaster, Kroil and the like are good - but the best is a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone ....both you can get very cheap.

http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/The-...s-best-on-Rusted-Nuts-amp-Bolts-132611-1.html

try any of them - and even the tree tree pulling - but time is your friend here, spray soak, pull, push - and spray some more !!!! :)

then once you get it off - clean the hell out of it and then lube it again with some grease. :)

FRANKLY

Equipment
Bush hog, Post hole digger, box blade
Jul 29, 2014
Decatur, AL
Okay...I will get and try the acetone and ATF tonite. Perhaps a little heat on the outer shaft would help some also. It sounds like this effort may be worthwhile. I just didn't want to continue a hopeless cause.

Thanks for the tips.:)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Okay...I will get and try the acetone and ATF tonite. Perhaps a little heat on the outer shaft would help some also. It sounds like this effort may be worthwhile. I just didn't want to continue a hopeless cause.

Thanks for the tips.:)
now .....be careful - acetone and heat together are a big NO NO !!!!
But a BFH used with acetone will work out great ! Dont let the hammer slip!:D:)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Wanna see something cool?
Water and rattle it with air hammer. Brown mud will run out!
Hot water is even better.
Had a truck hitch stuck in reciever so bad a sledge hammer wouldnt move it. Hot water and air hammer took it out in less than five minutes.