Rust on Hydralic Cylinder

sonny

Equipment
Kubota L35-T900 Backhoe , Danuser Post Hole Digger , Woods Brush Hog,Rototiller
Nov 30, 2012
North East , Ohio
My Kubota L35 backhoe attachment has small rust pits on the main dipper stick.

Anyone know how sturdy the seals are on a L35 backhoe ? Best way to clean the rust off? Probably about 30 or 40 smaller rusty abrasions on the cylinder. I had coated with white lithum grease prior to outside , uncovered storage.

This dipper stick was replaced about 7 years ago and I believe the supply guy told me that the replacement was from Japan. All the other cylinders are all fine. This is a 1995 Kubota L35 Loader BackHoe that I purchased new.

Anyone else ever dealt with rusty cylinder? How tough are the seals ?
Much of a job to replace the seals ?

Much Obliged

Sonny

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
I can't speak about the cylinders and seals you have, but I can tell you based on my many years of experience what usually happens and how it can be fixed.

I have never seen small rust pits create a real problem with the seals, the seals usually go bad just from weather and normal wear, (usually the metal housing will rust out before the inner rubber seal part leaks).

The seals are not too bad to change, however you may need to make a special wrench to turn the cylinder end cap out with, or see if you can borrow or rent one.

The wrench you will need looks kinda like a C on the end of a handle and will have lugs or prongs sticking down on the ends of the C, to fit the holes or slots in the end caps.

Now here is the trick, break those end caps loose BEFORE you take out the cylinder pins, with the cylinders mounted they are solid enough for you to get the caps broken loose, (trust me on this one).

If you ever think the rods are too bad, save yourself some money and take them to a metal processing company, (a place that does rechroming), and they can strip off the old chrome, and fill the pits, turn it back down smooth and then rechrome, I know it sounds like alot, but it is usually cheaper, faster, and easier than trying to find a replacement.

But myself unless a seal is actually leaking I wouldn't mess with it, even a seal that is just leaving a "wet" streak isn't too bad, but once it starts leaking then repair it, the cost of replacement fluids will cost more than the repair.

Best Regards
Paul

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
If they are pits, there's really nothing you can do other than a rechrome as mentioned. If they are rust growth that is proud of the chrome, I'd carefully dress it down to minimize the abrasive wear on the seals. My swing cylinder is pretty rusty, someday I'll get around to it.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
In regard to your question about cleaning off - Clean the grease off with a good solvent then take a good cotton rag 2-3 feet long apply some good quality chrome polish and then loop the rag around the cyl rod so you can pull both ends back and forth in a see-saw motion and polish it up. It'll probably be fine. rc

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I use 0000 steel wool on guns with a small amount of rust and it doesn't harm the finish. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a cylinder. Apply some light oil and rub with the steel wool, the rust will vanish.

exkx61

Jan 18, 2011
Bigfork,Montana
I can't speak about the cylinders and seals you have, but I can tell you based on my many years of experience what usually happens and how it can be fixed.

I have never seen small rust pits create a real problem with the seals, the seals usually go bad just from weather and normal wear, (usually the metal housing will rust out before the inner rubber seal part leaks).

The seals are not too bad to change, however you may need to make a special wrench to turn the cylinder end cap out with, or see if you can borrow or rent one.

The wrench you will need looks kinda like a C on the end of a handle and will have lugs or prongs sticking down on the ends of the C, to fit the holes or slots in the end caps.

Now here is the trick, break those end caps loose BEFORE you take out the cylinder pins, with the cylinders mounted they are solid enough for you to get the caps broken loose, (trust me on this one).

If you ever think the rods are too bad, save yourself some money and take them to a metal processing company, (a place that does rechroming), and they can strip off the old chrome, and fill the pits, turn it back down smooth and then rechrome, I know it sounds like alot, but it is usually cheaper, faster, and easier than trying to find a replacement.

But myself unless a seal is actually leaking I wouldn't mess with it, even a seal that is just leaving a "wet" streak isn't too bad, but once it starts leaking then repair it, the cost of replacement fluids will cost more than the repair.

Best Regards
Paul
Paul,
Thanks for good info ,now I have a question if a seal is leaking is it ok just to replace the seal? My excavator drips in summer when warm on the arm cylinder... cylinder works just great. Hate spending $200.00 for a Kubota seal kit if I can get by with just a seal. just to confirm a wiper and a seal are not the same item right? Thanks

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Paul,
Thanks for good info ,now I have a question if a seal is leaking is it ok just to replace the seal? My excavator drips in summer when warm on the arm cylinder... cylinder works just great. Hate spending $200.00 for a Kubota seal kit if I can get by with just a seal. just to confirm a wiper and a seal are not the same item right? Thanks
Seals and wipers are different.

I rebuilt a couple of cylinders on my Bobcat mini x and the seals cost $20 for each cylinder.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I use 0000 steel wool on guns with a small amount of rust and it doesn't harm the finish. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a cylinder. Apply some light oil and rub with the steel wool, the rust will vanish.

I never knew steel wool had numbers like grits of sandpaper, or am I understanding that wrong?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well ya learn something new everyday. I had no idea steel wool was numbered like that. I'll either use a soap free house hold steel wool or some emory cloth if I need to do some light rust removal with out scratching deep.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Eric, the 0000 SW looks like a ball of real fine hair. I keep some in my gun cleaning kit just incase I find any rust. It works like a champ.

sonny

Equipment
Kubota L35-T900 Backhoe , Danuser Post Hole Digger , Woods Brush Hog,Rototiller
Nov 30, 2012
North East , Ohio
Update : - I took a belt of fine grit emery paper and shined the cylinder up with wd40 as my lubricant. The rust pits became just small black marks.

Next I soaked all areas with wd40 and hooked up the backhoe. It's been almost 3 years since I last hooked it up. I greased all fittings heavily ( I had previously greased prior to open storage under a pine tree)

Backhoe worked flawlessly - Well it is a Kubota

I will apply a heavy coat of grease and cover Backhoe with a heavy tarp, when I restore. Some great advice was given out by the members here, and I am much obliged