Rubber Tire Chains Falling Off

Paluch1

Aug 28, 2018
Buffalo Ny
I put a set of rubber tire chains on the back of my BX1880 and I had them on the last link before the cross piece and I could not get get it tighter. Looks like it unhooked the outer side latch. Is there any way to keep this from happening. I don't want to damage anything on the tractor and live the added traction with them. And help or tips would be great.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Get two pair of cheap 1" ratchet straps......keeps the tension on in cross. Easy to tighten too as chains stretch.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Yes that will work fine. When I said 4 I was thinking rear tires, too early to ask much from this old brain.

Last edited:

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I can't tell from the picture, is the clamp on correctly and did you follow the instructions for installing the chains? Completely deflating the tire, installing the chains and reinflating is critical, plus good tighteners. I found an inexpensive way:

I couldn't find a set of commercial tighteners that I liked so I decided to come up with my own design motivated by forum members suggestions. Had rubber bungees but they were not very heavy duty and would not last. Amazon had 8-1/2" trampoline springs, $15 for 15 so cheap experiment, had some spare links laying around that I used to get the right tension. The center ring is from an old bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: 20180224_134457.jpg Views: 152 Size: 98.8 KB ID: 34530

Paluch1

Aug 28, 2018
Buffalo Ny
I can't tell from the picture, is the clamp on correctly and did you follow the instructions for installing the chains? Completely deflating the tire, installing the chains and reinflating is critical, plus good tighteners. I found an inexpensive way:

I couldn't find a set of commercial tighteners that I liked so I decided to come up with my own design motivated by forum members suggestions. Had rubber bungees but they were not very heavy duty and would not last. Amazon had 8-1/2" trampoline springs, $15 for 15 so cheap experiment, had some spare links laying around that I used to get the right tension. The center ring is from an old bit.

Attached Thumbnails

Click image for larger version Name: 20180224_134457.jpg Views: 152 Size: 98.8 KB ID: 34530

I noticed that side that came off didn't snap well and the first time but I put it back on and looked right. I try it again this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk