Rtv x1100

flynlow

Aug 16, 2015
South Mississippi
I'm considering buying an RTV X1100C. What is y'all's opinion on these? My dad has a Polaris Ranger 800 and that's what most of my UTV riding has been on. I don't like belts first of all and I would like something a little heavier duty than the Ranger. Am I going to be disappointed with an RTV X when using it trail riding? (Nothing extreme, just normal trails)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm considering buying an RTV X1100C. What is y'all's opinion on these? My dad has a Polaris Ranger 800 and that's what most of my UTV riding has been on. I don't like belts first of all and I would like something a little heavier duty than the Ranger. Am I going to be disappointed with an RTV X when using it trail riding? (Nothing extreme, just normal trails)

I would take the 3 cyl diesel over the twin cylinder gasser all day long.

Rather have a limited slip front diffy and rear lock than the ol AWD too.

Not sure what the cost difference is either, but those two are apples and oranges!

UnionMan

Equipment
M5-111HDC12, L3800 HST , RTV-X1100C, SCAG TigerCat 61" Kawi FX Motor
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
I personally own one and don't know how I got by on the farm without one. I will say if you are looking for something to race around on trails then the Kubota might not be for you. I think Kubota says the top speed is 28mph. I have only hit maybe 21-22 going down hill. When I was looking at side by sides I like all the bells and whistles of the Kubota but didn't see it practical money wise. I was lucky enough to find a barely used one (30 hours) for a steal of a price. If you are looking for something that will get the job done with comfort of a cab then the Kubota is for you. But don't expect it to be zipping down the trail next to a ranger. I personally bought mine for the utility of it not speed. I would buy the same again if I had to.

UnionMan

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've got an '09 Ranger (700xp). It has 1,2 or 4 wheel drive at the flip of a switch. Not sure what you're saying 85Hokie, "Rather have a limited slip front diffy and rear lock than the ol AWD too."

I use it to haul firewood, brush, dirt, anything that would fit in a wheel barrel, and to go from one property to another, pull log splitter....or a 14' trailer.

Whatever you buy you'll probably be happy with (until you discover what it won't do that you thought it would). All brands have diesels, so you have to decide your use.

Oh, be sure to find find a dealer you can work with!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I've got an '09 Ranger (700xp). It has 1,2 or 4 wheel drive at the flip of a switch. Not sure what you're saying 85Hokie, "Rather have a limited slip front diffy and rear lock than the ol AWD too."

I use it to haul firewood, brush, dirt, anything that would fit in a wheel barrel, and to go from one property to another, pull log splitter....or a 14' trailer.

Whatever you buy you'll probably be happy with (until you discover what it won't do that you thought it would). All brands have diesels, so you have to decide your use.

Oh, be sure to find find a dealer you can work with!!
Cat -

looking at the Kubota ad :

http://www.kubota.com/product/utilityvehicles/RTVX1100.aspx

Limited-Slip Front Differential
True 4-wheel drive with a limited-slip front differential and a locking rear differential help reduce wheel spin to a minimum, giving you greater control and a smoother ride on rough or muddy terrain.

the Polaris Ranger 800 :

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/ranger-utv/2014/ranger-800-efi-sage-green

Drive System
On-Demand True AWD/2WD/ VersaTrac Turf Mode

now based on that from the companies that make them, the AWD is not very impressive, that is like comparing a the old style locking hubs of an old chevy,ford or dodge to the current suburu system....there is no comparison.

The old style "4wd" drive will allow wheel slip on any two ends that will not grip - the current style sees the spin and then forces the the others to move.

I have never been a fan of AWD - because all that really means is that all 4 tires have power to them......but NOT at the correct times. Now the newer trannies and diffys are getting better and better.

Here is better explanation of what I mean -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw

looking at the comparison :
http://www.kubota.com/assets/product/comps/rtvx/rtvxSeriesCompsPDF.pdf

Now looking at the two prices more closely, cause I did not at first ....

the polaris will set you back $11,500 ......and the Kubota .....well it only goes for a whopping $21,600 !!!:eek:

like I said ......comparing apples to oranges !

flynlow

Aug 16, 2015
South Mississippi
Price difference is minimal I'm looking at the Ranger deluxe model with power steering and then adding a top, windshield and back panel. When you price that out, you can add $1000 and have heat and AC. 25 mph is plenty fast for 90% of the what I will be doing. My main concern is I would like to ride some of the public trails in the mountains (Arkansas or East Tennessee). I have have never been on any trails like that as I live in south Mississippi. Will the RTV go anywhere a Ranger will within reason? I don't want to do the really hard trails, just mild and moderate. It will also be MUCH easier to talk my wife into going if we would have AC. Ha ha.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
$1000 is the difference between the Polaris with all the accessories and a stock RTV X1000C.

WOW - then the prices on the net from Kubota must be a little skewed! Or that Polaris has a lot of bells and whistles! :D

going to the kubota site - a "base" version on hte RTV x1100 is right at 21K ...now that is shown with a cab too......and I bet a few other goodies.

But I think the diesel power will get you where you want to be easier than the gas model of the polaris - the polaris is a fine machine that you are use to - have the kubota dealer let you drive the one around on the lot - you will be the only one to make the comparison.

Send pictures when you get it !:)

flynlow

Aug 16, 2015
South Mississippi
My local Polaris dealer quoted me $15k for the electric power steering model, add a top ,windshield, and a rear panel to that and you are close enough to call it $16,500. My local Kubota dealer told me $18,000 for the X1100. I'm thinking that's close enough to take price out of the pro/con list. I've pretty much settled on the RTV I just don't want to be disappointed that I get it and it won't go where I need to.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My local Polaris dealer quoted me $15k for the electric power steering model, add a top ,windshield, and a rear panel to that and you are close enough to call it $16,500. My local Kubota dealer told me $18,000 for the X1100. I'm thinking that's close enough to take price out of the pro/con list. I've pretty much settled on the RTV I just don't want to be disappointed that I get it and it won't go where I need to.

what is the HP on the Polaris? The RTV is up there isnt it? Like 25 HP?

I would think that the engine and trans would be a plenty - like someone mentioned earlier, top speed might be a problem, but not sure what those are side by side.

flynlow

Aug 16, 2015
South Mississippi
The Polaris 900 is 68 horsepower. Which is way more than you need in low gear, which is where I would be most of the time. I think the hydrostatic trans would be a big advantage on the RTV and you just don't need that much power to go 25mph. The ranger will go very close to 60 and they are kind of scary at that speed. 40-45 is a more realistic maximum normal speed.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The Polaris 900 is 68 horsepower. Which is way more than you need in low gear, which is where I would be most of the time. I think the hydrostatic trans would be a big advantage on the RTV and you just don't need that much power to go 25mph. The ranger will go very close to 60 and they are kind of scary at that speed. 40-45 is a more realistic maximum normal speed.

68 hp from a 875cc engine??? that is impressive as all get out !
Now I know that my old kawa zzr would make 90+ out of 599cc's but then again that was measured at 12+ grand on the ol tach!

Seems like the one you mentioned earlier and this polaris all a little different to say the least !

UnionMan

Equipment
M5-111HDC12, L3800 HST , RTV-X1100C, SCAG TigerCat 61" Kawi FX Motor
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
You cant go wrong with the fit and finish of the Cab. If I am not mistaken Kubota still is the only manufacture of a CAB model side by side that has heat and AC installed from factory. Like I said before I hadn't planned on getting a cab model only dreamed of it. At the dealer I was more in line price wise with the RTV-X900. I found the used one that I did for the price of a new 900 and couldn't pass it up. Kubota has built a top notch RTV I'm still amazed at what this machine can do and hall. I've filled the dump bed with 3 full loads of dirt from my L3800 before and hauled it across the farm up and down hills and the hydraulic dump bed lifted it no problem. The only things I've added to it are a left side mirror and a wire mesh headache rack to protect the rear window. I also had the bed sprayed with LineX since the original buyer didn't get the factory bed liner option which I would recommend.

Here it is the day I brought it home.

UnionMan

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
You cant go wrong with the fit and finish of the Cab. If I am not mistaken Kubota still is the only manufacture of a CAB model side by side that has heat and AC installed from factory. Like I said before I hadn't planned on getting a cab model only dreamed of it. At the dealer I was more in line price wise with the RTV-X900. I found the used one that I did for the price of a new 900 and couldn't pass it up. Kubota has built a top notch RTV I'm still amazed at what this machine can do and hall. I've filled the dump bed with 3 full loads of dirt from my L3800 before and hauled it across the farm up and down hills and the hydraulic dump bed lifted it no problem. The only things I've added to it are a left side mirror and a wire mesh headache rack to protect the rear window. I also had the bed sprayed with LineX since the original buyer didn't get the factory bed liner option which I would recommend.

Here it is the day I brought it home.

UnionMan

That thing looks like a tank !!!:eek: Can you place a tag on it and drive it to the store?:D:)
that thar looks impressive!

flynlow

Aug 16, 2015
South Mississippi
The cab has impressed me. The Polaris cab is a snap together afterthought, which I'm sure would be full of rattles from day 1. The Kubota is a MUCH higher quality piece.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
The quality of the Polaris is also very good. They have a new Ranger 900 EPS Northstar Deluxe Edition that comes with a heated cab with heated seats. It prices out at about the same as the RTV-X 1100.

So it comes down to what you want. Polaris has speed and no air conditioning.
Kubota has AC and hydraulics.

Both are very good machines.

djm1204

Equipment
L4600 HST, FEL, Root Rake, Land Pride Grapple, Two way radio
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
Kubota makes some great UTV's I am looking at the 1120D - I like the hydrostatic trans - no belts - and a few other upgrades that I do not have on my John Deere Gator. ONLY thing that has held me back is the speed . Top speed in the Kubota is 28 mph while the gas JD Gator top speed is 44. I do not travel in the 30's mph range often - but I do.

I use the gator around the property - 30 acres - and going to neighbors - also can get to the local gas- & convenience store on it. We have hundreds of miles of trails and dirt roads I use it on.

The gator has several cab options - including AC - but it's more of a utility vehicle - toy for me.

The kubota is a true utility vehicle - the gator is a bit of a crossover, but a great vehicle nonetheless.

Try them all - they will all get you where you want to go. Pick what makes you happy

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I wonder why people are so scared of cvt belt drives? I've been plowing and mudding with my Polaris Sportsman since 2004 with the original belt. Over 800 hours and 4700 miles.

Skeeter

Equipment
M4D-061 w/FEL; RTV X1100CWL; JD MX-7 Bushhog; and others
Oct 3, 2012
MO

IMG_7551 (640x427).jpg
Here's mine. IMO if you are wanting to trail ride you'll be sorely disappointed with the X1100c and as I say that from the perspective of being a former Yamaha Rhino owner. My situation was that the Rhino (great machine) wasn't built to do what I wanted to do with it. However, my RTV is an absolute beast. Like others have said you'll run 20-21 mph wide open. I thought that would be a problem for me, but my average speed on my Rhino was about 9 mph, so it was a no-brainer for me. I wanted the cab w/AC/Heat and the diesel/hydro tranny. I use approx. half the fuel in the RTV compared to the Rhino. I have hauled incredible loads both on a 5x10 trailer and in the bed and you can't tell you have it loaded other than the suspension sag with a good load. The hyd. dump bed is awesome as well. I wasn't impressed with the price, but you get what you pay for.... I never had an issue with my CVT on the Rhino or my Grizzly (still own), but I was concerned every time I put a load on it. I had a few options put on mine when I bought it (winch, rear window cage, mudflaps, ATV tires, Alloy wheels, mirrors, work lights) and I was right in the area of $21K (no tax b/c it's a farm use machine).

Drive both, do some research, and let common sense be your guide. Good luck with your decision.