RTR2570 - Mechanic keeps saying it’s too big for my L4310

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Good to hear that you found someone different who seems to know more. Makes you wonder why the first mechanic thought you needed a new radiator versus sending it to a radiator shop for a good cleaning inside and out.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Partial update. Went for a second opinion, and I am cautiously optimistic. The second opinion pointed out a few things that had been grossly overlooked by the mechanic I had used to replace the radiator and for periodic servicing. First and foremost the thermostat was not checked when replacing the radiator. To him, it explains many of the malfunctions that have been happening since the new Kubota radiator was installed. Oil filter was not replaced during the oil change on 1-11-23. Oil overfilled by at least two quarts.
Lastly, I asked him about the DH2570. He actually said it’s perfect for my present use on the farm.
I am withholding my feeling of total relief until his fixes are done which are minor and inexpensive.
Thanks to all for commenting and for sharing your thoughts.
Overheating engine and he did not check the thermostat? Thats like top 3 on the list of suspects......

Dan

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Heavy clay wher you in SoCa,, the kid is up around 29 palms, and I know that high desert can be some nasty dirt to play in

Reactions: 1 user

Heavy Clay

Equipment
Searching
May 22, 2022
SoCal
Heavy clay wher you in SoCa,, the kid is up around 29 palms, and I know that high desert can be some nasty dirt to play in
San Fernando Valley. The ground has always been farmland - first walnuts, then orange groves, corn, berries, then herbs. Now I do lettuce, herbs, greens, and chicories.

Reactions: 1 users

Heavy Clay

Equipment
Searching
May 22, 2022
SoCal
Skeets - my brother is homesteading in Mojave. He’s enjoying the challenge, but weather seems to be his #1 issue, he was prepared for the soil challenge.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It'd be interesting to know if the mechanic has ever actually run a tractor with a tiller on it. If you're doing lettuce and greens you must have nice soil and NOT 'clay'.

Heavy Clay

Equipment
Searching
May 22, 2022
SoCal
It'd be interesting to know if the mechanic has ever actually run a tractor with a tiller on it. If you're doing lettuce and greens you must have nice soil and NOT 'clay'.
I wish it were that simple. I’ve put a lot of effort, compost, and gypsum into the field to make it passable. The heavy rains set the ground back a bit, but that’s farming. Every season brings a different, unexpected challenge.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Sorry to hear of your tractor overheating troubles. I ran a 6ft tiller behind my L4610 (essentially the same tractor) for many years with no overheating issues. There was ample power but tilling was slow work.

Sounds like you have some good advice about diagnosing and fixing the tractor but you may want to also look into how the tractor has been operated to head off future problems.

First, it sounds like the operator knew the tractor was getting hot but kept going, something that is really hard on the engine.

Second, regarding the earlier "tilling is slow work" comment. If the operator is pushing to get done sooner than the tiller can do its job with the soil, it will indeed overwork both the tractor and the tiller.

Finally, the screen on the radiators on these tractors does not catch everything and fine debris can collect on the external surfaces of the radiator core and cause overheating. I wasn't sure if you had done that extra step when cleaning it.

Heavy Clay

Equipment
Searching
May 22, 2022
SoCal
Two days into the fix. Parts were ordered last week, arrived on Monday, installed on Tuesday. I was fortunate. It looks like it was only the thermostat. No spikes in operating temperature, no smoke, and ran tiller yesterday.
I did have a regular service done, the alternator was replaced.
The thing that disappoints me most is that I think if you’re replacing the radiator you at least have to put your eyes on the thermostat. The first job cost me more in lost labor than the cost of the repair, because it wasn’t checked thoroughly.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Two days into the fix. Parts were ordered last week, arrived on Monday, installed on Tuesday. I was fortunate. It looks like it was only the thermostat. No spikes in operating temperature, no smoke, and ran tiller yesterday.
The thing that disappoints me most is that I think if you’re replacing the radiator you at least have to put your eyes on the thermostat. The first job cost me more in lost labor than the cost of the repair, because it wasn’t checked thoroughly.
Failure to investigate the thermostat is gross malpractice. That should have been tested before replacing the radiator.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

Heavy Clay

Equipment
Searching
May 22, 2022
SoCal
So it’s almost two weeks. Everything is on point. Even the radiator that the first mechanic replaced is fine. Truly a learning experience.
In short, I saved thousands in dollars, thousands in time, and going to sleep with the confidence that I have the proper resources in place to get tomorrow’s work done is priceless.
Thank you everybody for your input.

Reactions: 2 users

Jonny4523

Equipment
L4310 HST
Nov 10, 2022
Lafayette, IN
I've replaced a lot of radiators in my time. I always just replace the thermostat at the same times given how cheap they are. In fact, I just had the radiator out of my L4310 in order to get the steering cylinder out and decided to just go ahead and replace the thermostat since I had everything apart.