RTR2570 - Mechanic keeps saying it’s too big for my L4310

Heavy Clay

Equipment
Searching
May 22, 2022
SoCal
In a pickle. I have a good mobile mechanic, but he is focused on my tiller. Land Pride RTR2570. It started with overheating problems after the heavy rains here in Ca, leaky radiator cap. While I was waiting for the new one to be shipped from Messick’s I figured I’d have him out to service the tractor. Since his first visit everything I ask about is partially answered with tiller vs tractor size.
I’m questioning which needs to go. L4310 FEL with 3000 + hours that needs work, or the mechanic that blames use of the tiller in the past for all my little issues.
I’m a small, busy farm, and need to be on hand for harvesting, packing, and sales/restaurant delivery.
Land prep was easy, and consistent until the rains over soaked the field the last few months.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Your tractor is rated at about 37 (PTO) HP. So 'should' pull the tiller fine.

Keep tiller depth to about 6" first pass.

IF your tractor is down on power with that amount of hours....it would affect its performance of course. You can have a compression test done on the engine to assess its relative health.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious, so looked up the tiller's specs. 70" wide, 25+ HP, rated for L model...YOU are OK. I run a 60" tiller with maybe 30HP in veggie gardens, 1 acre fun plot and sod chopping...no problem.
Sounds like it worked fine in previous years,just after 'rain' was a problem. It could be your ground was still too wet when tilled and used HP to overcome the soil conditions.
Are you adding LOTS of compost EVERY fall ? 'Compost' means grass clipping, leaves(NO black Walnut ! ), kitchen scraps, veggie cutoffs, old flowers, manure, kelp, etc.
If you aren't, then in a few short years, yields drop off, soil loses it's 'tilthe' and turns into 'concrete'.
Last week we had a HUGE storm come by, close to 2" overnight. 3 days later I could till the fields.

Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Sounds like the mechanic needs to go, but you need to have another lined up if you arent able to do your own routine maintenance.

However you didnt give specifics on why the mechanic said the tiller was the issue and what other problems it has caused for your tractor.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You may need more facts from/for the mechanic. You probably have kept the tractor in good maintenance so the hours should not be a negative issue. I'd have a compression test done and then you'll have a better idea if it's the tractor or the soil conditions causing the over heating. Then make choices based on that.

Reactions: 2 users

Heavy Clay

Equipment
Searching
May 22, 2022
SoCal
curious, so looked up the tiller's specs. 70" wide, 25+ HP, rated for L model...YOU are OK. I run a 60" tiller with maybe 30HP in veggie gardens, 1 acre fun plot and sod chopping...no problem.
Sounds like it worked fine in previous years,just after 'rain' was a problem. It could be your ground was still too wet when tilled and used HP to overcome the soil conditions.
Are you adding LOTS of compost EVERY fall ? 'Compost' means grass clipping, leaves(NO black Walnut ! ), kitchen scraps, veggie cutoffs, old flowers, manure, kelp, etc.
If you aren't, then in a few short years, yields drop off, soil loses it's 'tilthe' and turns into 'concrete'.
Last week we had a HUGE storm come by, close to 2" overnight. 3 days later I could till the fields.
Adding tons of compost, literally. This year has been something else with some of the rain totals per hour. Already seeing varieties of weeds here that I have not seen on this piece in the recent past. Lots of “volunteers” from previous plantings also.

Heavy Clay

Equipment
Searching
May 22, 2022
SoCal
Sounds like the mechanic needs to go, but you need to have another lined up if you arent able to do your own routine maintenance.

However you didnt give specifics on why the mechanic said the tiller was the issue and what other problems it has caused for your tractor.
Good question. I didn’t want to make my first post a wall of text.
Here’s the story.
One day, between atmospheric rivers, I see the tractor in the distance, and white smoke. I call the driver off the tractor. He says the day before it started leaking from the cap. He goes on to say that he refilled with water before starting today. I tell him no more tractor until it is checked out, I’m aware of the hours.
I come here and search. I order the new cap. Next day I have my tractor driver clean the screen of the radiator and the Kubota dust screen. He tells me it’s running cooler. I tell him to not the use tractor and wait for the mechanic.
Mechanic comes and does full service, and tells me I need a new radiator, and that the tiller is too big for the tractor.
New radiator on. I tell my driver to only till the top four inches until the ground dries out and weighs less. Just trying to get rid of the weeds so my plants have a chance to outgrow the weeds.
More heavy rains for about a month. No chance or need to use tractor.
Ground dries out enough to till under some older plantings starting to go to seed.
One week after regular use, a hose breaks. The hose from the radiator to the engine, 1 inch hose with a little belly.
Replace the hose and fluid. Back to work.
More rain, down about 10 days. Tractor work is backing up. Old plantings need out, fallow ground needs to be prepped for transplants, and need to spread compost on ground for plantings by seed.
Monday tractor driver shows me a phone video of the top seem of the radiator while tractor is on. The seem is where mesh and plastic meet. Radiator fluid is visible and bubbling/boiling.
No problem, radiator is under warranty. Call mechanic. “Your tiller is too big for that tractor.” I tell him we were’nt using the tiller, we were just scooping compost and moving it. His response, “well the tiller is too big for the tractor, so when you used the tiller in the past, you probably burnt the head.” I imagine he means the head gasket? He didn’t mention anything about the “head” when he did the full service in December. He wants $2500 to come take off the head and bring it to the machine shop to see if they can fix it, but reminds me that if it can be fixed, “the tiller is too big for the tractor, and that there could be piston damage that can’t be seen until the head is off.” I don’t think there is any piston damage, compression/accelarion power does not seem to have changed at all.
How is he already diagnosing head damage from from a new radiator with fluid at the seem, and a busted hose that was replaced, without even putting his hands on the tractor?
A3C7C16A-A38F-4FA5-AFBA-75B6F6DB52AD.jpeg

Heavy Clay

Equipment
Searching
May 22, 2022
SoCal
Thank you for all the responses. The mechanic has been good in the past. This is the first utility sized tractor that I know of that he has serviced. The farm I used to work for had a fleet of full size tractors from Orange to mostly green to red that he used to service.
To cover my bases, I also asked him how much a new engine would cost. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. He said $9-11k last time he checked. That answer helped raise the question from the first post of possibly replacing the tractor.

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Thank you for all the responses. The mechanic has been good in the past. This is the first utility sized tractor that I know of that he has serviced. The farm I used to work for had a fleet of full size tractors from Orange to mostly green to red that he used to service.
To cover my bases, I also asked him how much a new engine would cost. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. He said $9-11k last time he checked. That answer helped raise the question from the first post of possibly replacing the tractor.
If it were me....I'd just have a compression test done (with pics of pressures) to determine if the engine is still within specs. Without evidence of a warped head or blown head gasket (Coolant loss into crankcase, Oil in coolant, pressure loss between cylinders, etc) then your mechanic is 'guessing'.

IF you don't have an analog temperature gauge that can be observed at all times....it might be a good thing to have one installed. That way you can see temperature rising and avoid a radiator 'boil over'. It IS indeed possible to overheat an engine to the point where you warp the head or blow a head gasket.

Temp Warming.jpg

Presumably your tiller is a 6 tine unit? IF it is reverse rotation it will 'tax' the engine's power more than a standard rotation....but the driver of the tractor should simply SLOW the tilling speed (tractor) down if they hear the tractor laboring at all...or see coolant temps rising above acceptable levels. Don't wait until you see steam coming from under the hood to STOP.

Not sure why the mechanic would suspect piston damage, the causes for that don't seem to be present in your tractor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
In a pickle. I have a good mobile mechanic, but he is focused on my tiller. Land Pride RTR2570. It started with overheating problems after the heavy rains here in Ca, leaky radiator cap. While I was waiting for the new one to be shipped from Messick’s I figured I’d have him out to service the tractor. Since his first visit everything I ask about is partially answered with tiller vs tractor size.
I’m questioning which needs to go. L4310 FEL with 3000 + hours that needs work, or the mechanic that blames use of the tiller in the past for all my little issues.
I’m a small, busy farm, and need to be on hand for harvesting, packing, and sales/restaurant delivery.
Land prep was easy, and consistent until the rains over soaked the field the last few months.
If I understand this story correctly the tractor handled that tiller for years and only recently started having over heating problems. Strikes me it might be time for an in depth look at the cooling system on the tractor.

Dan

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Rotary Mower; M4050 (SOLD) Woods Cadet 84
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Are you sure the coolant was boiling? I would remove the radiator cap and start the tractor cold and see if the coolant starts bubbling/rolling while it is warming up, which could show that you have a head gasket or head issue. Good luck.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Are you sure the coolant was boiling? I would remove the radiator cap and start the tractor cold and see if the coolant starts bubbling/rolling while it is warming up, which could show that you have a head gasket or head issue. Good luck.
Post #9 = "white smoke"
Isn't that a tell tale sign?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Everything I've read:
#1 You need to evaluate if it's got a cracked head or a blown head gasket.
Sounds like the Radiator is being steamed, aka super heated and pressurized.
Pull the radiator cap and fill the radiator to the top.
Run the tractor and look for bubbles / smoke puffs out of the radiator.

#2 Yes that tiller is pushing that tractor to the limit, I know your soil and adding any moisture make it really hard to work!
You need a much larger L or an MX size tractor to deal with it properly.

You can't blame the mechanic for trying to steer you in the right direction. If he fixes it and you keep pushing it that hard your going to make it fail again and who you going to be mad at? The mechanic of course!

Heavy Clay

Equipment
Searching
May 22, 2022
SoCal
@North Idaho Wolfman thank you for your straight talk.
I’m appreciative of all the opinions, from everyone. I have little practical experience with implements so am going off of the technical info from LP.
I would never be upset with the mechanic for fixing the tractor. And I don’t blame him for the issues. I just need to get to the most effective solution, and rip off the band-aid.
I’ll start with the suggested repair, and keep my eyes open for a smaller tiller or larger tractor.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Check and see if your radiator is obstructed. Might have debris clogging it. That will cause overheating and is a simple fix. You post/question(s) could be stated more concisely. Good luck.

Heavy Clay

Equipment
Searching
May 22, 2022
SoCal
Partial update. Went for a second opinion, and I am cautiously optimistic. The second opinion pointed out a few things that had been grossly overlooked by the mechanic I had used to replace the radiator and for periodic servicing. First and foremost the thermostat was not checked when replacing the radiator. To him, it explains many of the malfunctions that have been happening since the new Kubota radiator was installed. Oil filter was not replaced during the oil change on 1-11-23. Oil overfilled by at least two quarts.
Lastly, I asked him about the DH2570. He actually said it’s perfect for my present use on the farm.
I am withholding my feeling of total relief until his fixes are done which are minor and inexpensive.
Thanks to all for commenting and for sharing your thoughts.