May 18, 2018
Texas
Do you fully own it? IF so…

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
you can legally take the ROPS off it is your machine. The problem is if something happens and the ROPS would have stopped you or someone from getting hurt. You will not be able to go after the MFG for legal claims against them. If you have insurance for that sort of thing, they may deny the claim.

No cops or ROPS police will stop and arrest you.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, you can legally swap but then the ROPS is not 'legal' ( wasn't certified with your quick release pins' ),like others point out.. a bad booboo could be costly....

Is there ANY chance the quick release pins could 'release' and the pin drop out ??

I removed the top of my ROPS 3 years ago, so I could get the BX23S in and out of my garage. Replaced the top with my lowered 'sunshade' that has LEDs to see ahead. It's mounted using 4-5/8" bolts in the OEM holes in the lower ROPS.
As I'm nearing 70, I'm not concerned about safety or legal issues..don't loan the tractor out.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
teemac, G'day mate and welcome to the orange
Legal sure it is, it's your tractor you can even take it off if you wish.
And I think I understand why you would want to do that, I cleaned off the bottom of the garage door too backing out. However legally, should something happen, to you or someone using your tractor and the ROPS failed because you used the quick pins. Well as Jay said, it would be bad JuJu.
See you may, or may not, understand the testing of a ROPS by a manufacturer. They are tested using very specific components and guide lines. And if ANY change to the ROPS is made, even if it never fails after those changes, the manufacturer is no longer liable for any damages incurred to its failure. And that includes mounting bolts, welds , holes being drilled in it for mounting lights, any mods even as small as using quick pins, will void the certification. Stay safe, and think each job through

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
teemac, G'day mate and welcome to the orange
Legal sure it is, it's your tractor you can even take it off if you wish.
And I think I understand why you would want to do that, I cleaned off the bottom of the garage door too backing out. However legally, should something happen, to you or someone using your tractor and the ROPS failed because you used the quick pins. Well as Jay said, it would be bad JuJu.
See you may, or may not, understand the testing of a ROPS by a manufacturer. They are tested using very specific components and guide lines. And if ANY change to the ROPS is made, even if it never fails after those changes, the manufacturer is no longer liable for any damages incurred to its failure. And that includes mounting bolts, welds , holes being drilled in it for mounting lights, any mods even as small as using quick pins, will void the certification. Stay safe, and think each job through
I never cease to be amazed that at nearly 82, I survived so many years without seat belts, bicycle helmets, ROPS, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
can i legally swap the threaded Rops locking pin with a quick release pin?
I am of the opinion - IF you own it, do what you wish to it! Yeah, I understand all the legal mojo that has been said and all that is fine and correct. BUT you bought it - you do as you wish!!! Legally is a term that may or may not apply in your area.

Think of this - (may not be true in your land) those people who poured gasoline from a container on a hot engine and got burned sued the OEM of the container and now we have these expensive POS that you need 3 hands and a zip tie to use!!!!

So - someone sued the tractor company because they placed the tractor in a situation that a "smart person" would not have - and then when it rolled over, we blamed the company for the lack of safety equipment.

Many have cut off the top of the ROPS - many NEVER flip it up!

Many have wacked the hell out of their garage headers and damaged the garage - but I have never heard a law suit that blamed the company for the ROPS being too high! :ROFLMAO:

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
you can legally take the ROPS off it is your machine. The problem is if something happens and the ROPS would have stopped you or someone from getting hurt. You will not be able to go after the MFG for legal claims against them. If you have insurance for that sort of thing, they may deny the claim.

No cops or ROPS police will stop and arrest you.
Not only that but it might fail and you could be dead anyway!

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Back to the original question though...the MFG's legal/risk team is going to say any modifications you do to the factory equipment indemnifies them from a lawsuit. That said a court would ultimately decide. If it were mine in this case I would do it it if is helping you in some way.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A few years ago we met another older couple at an airplane-owner-club Xmas party and made what was clearly going to become a long-term friendship.
Mr. and Mrs. M were so charming…she a retired music teacher….he a retiring rice farmer. He had Six (6) very large tractors with which he had worked his several hundred acres of rice along the Gulf Coast. He’d been rice-farming for 30 years and before that, his Daddy had done the same. LuJuan and John were looking forward to their retirement years, travelling, enjoying grandkids, seeing America.

LuJuan was making lunch while he was out starting-up the six tractors lined-up alongside the hiway frontage road on their properly where he’d placed them for public view. Once every few days he’d go out and start them up and re-arrange them and check on their “For Sale” signs.

LuJuan got concerned he was taking so long to do that while the lunch she’d prepared was getting cold…she went out to check on him…. and found him in a drainage-ditch beneath one of the over-turned tractors.

Thirty-years of farming those tractors and now, the worst sight a family member can have is the memory of him for his family and friends.

Take this post for what it’s worth.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I never cease to be amazed that at nearly 82, I survived so many years without seat belts, bicycle helmets, ROPS, etc.
Me too! BUT remember past performance is no guarantee of future results...as the financial guys say!

I could tell some stories that amaze me thinking back (on this subject)...honestly...LOL Often think I am lucky to be here today. Seriously!

Still I always keep my ROPS up, but am guilty of not always wearing my seat belt. I guess some of us never learn...

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Before I finally cut down the ROPS (omg) about 7" my son did some machining on these pins for me:

rops pin mod.JPG

Full thickness through the rops. No threading anymore

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Me too! BUT remember past performance is no guarantee of future results...as the financial guys say!

I could tell some stories that amaze me thinking back (on this subject)...honestly...LOL Often think I am lucky to be here today. Seriously!

Still I always keep my ROPS up, but am guilty of not always wearing my seat belt. I guess some of us never learn...
I have great difficulty relating the significance of the above mentioned "safety" devices, to being chased by two MIGs off the coast of Eqypt during the Arab/Israli 6 day war.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Some of us are just lucky.
Buried two friends in high school that were passengers in the same car. High speed, big tree, and they went out the windshield. Driver remained in the car, impaled on the old style steering wheel.
Made a believer out of many of us.

Keep up the luck but be a little safe.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Buried two friends in high school that were passengers in the same car. High speed, big tree, and they went out the windshield. Driver remained in the car, impaled on the old style steering wheel.

I was almost 'one of them'. When I was 20 I had a 289 Mustang. Skidded off the interstate in the rain, at significant speed, slid backwards till I hit a culvert, then the car flipped end over end 1-1/2 revolutions and landed on the roof. The rear of the roof was flattened to the backrest. The car was totaled. I bit my lip. Even back then I understood risk/reward, I always wore a seatbelt.

btw I climbed out through the window into the mud and saw a state trooper a few hundred feet away with a guy pulled over. Walked up to him and told him what happened. After he finished writing his ticket he gave me one for failure to drive in the established lane :(

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Perhaps many here would also think that landing airplanes on a boat is not safe.
I did wear a full shoulder harness though.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
After he finished writing his ticket he gave me one for failure to drive in the established lane :(
That will teach you! :D

Wow. I had a 65 with the 289. Not the best handling car I ever owned, but still fun. In the rain? Not fun.