ROPS Light Bracket Help

Baja Designs

Equipment
Auxiliary Light Manufacturing
Mar 31, 2022
California
I used the holes already in the ROPS along with rubber washers so not to scrape and dig into paint.. plus helps keep them securely in place. The rears are mounted with the same bolt as front lights, and are switched separately. The main switch is under the seat. Nuttin fancy but works!
looool omg ^^^

crap i didnt realize i responded to a commercial thread. They are prob just looking to knock off designs.

@Baja Designs are you a forum sponsor?

I'll put a set of rigid lights against "baja" anyday. good luck!
Hey OrangeKrush,
No im the only one at Baja who is apart of this thread, more for my own knowledge so I can help people in the future. No we are not a sponsor I more so just wanted to learn about the needs of people in the industry.
Also I like your profile photo, are you currently flying the 737? As commercial pilot that is one of my dream aircraft to fly!
Best,
Brock Brunkhorst

Baja Designs

Equipment
Mar 31, 2022
California
I used the holes already in the ROPS along with rubber washers so not to scrape and dig into paint.. plus helps keep them securely in place. The rears are mounted with the same bolt as front lights, and are switched separately. The main switch is under the seat. Nuttin fancy but works!
Hello OrangeKrush,
Thankyou for the insight, I appreciate it!
Best,
Brock Brunkhorst

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hey Jimmyjazz,
Thankyou so much for the response I do appreciate the insight. My first week on the job so still testing the waters so I appreciate you giving me advice and not just getting mad. Was not my intention to be over bearing. I will definitely take all the advice and use it in the future. A lot of us here at Baja Designs work with people in off-roading; with my construction background I thought I would take the initiative and reach out to people in new markets.
Thanks again for the constructive criticism that goes a long way for someone just starting out like me!
Best,
Brock Brunkhorst
We were all young once. Stick with it. You are marvelous. The gods wait to delight in you.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
Where my ROPs fold there is a bracket with a welded nut. I modified the bracket that came with my LEDs to accept a bolt that threads into that nut. Then just added a jam nut to hold aim. Simple, sturdy and cheap.

B8B99E5E-35A6-46C4-AA18-16CC290162C0.jpeg
8111B923-98D7-4187-9C73-98B0ADAD7DB0.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

dustin

Oct 7, 2021
Paw Paw, MI
Ok. here is what I used:

Magnets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JKWCVTX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lights/wiring harness:

hope that helps. If you use the same magnets, cut the mounting stud down so you don't need to use any spacers. It will help prevent the lights from vibrating/movement.
Perfect. Thanks! For $60 all in, I don't think you can go wrong here. Did you use any thing in between the magnet to prevent scratching? I was thinking of something like this:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Perfect. Thanks! For $60 all in, I don't think you can go wrong here. Did you use any thing in between the magnet to prevent scratching? I was thinking of something like this:

Nope. I didn't. They really don't move at all. You can force them to move/spin but they really aren't going anywhere easily. Don't get your finger between the magnet and ROPS.

I did have to replace the light brackets once. As you can see in my pic above, I used a nut (as a spacer) between the magnet and the light bracket because magnet stud was too long. The light brackets fatigued/cracked when running the three point stump grinder for three days. The vibration from the grinder was just too much for the light brackets not sitting flush against the magnet base.

The fix was to cut down the studs on the magnet and eliminate the nut "spacer". Now the light brackets sits flush against the magnet base. If you do the same, thread the nut on the stud all the way down to the magnet before cutting off excess stud. The nut will "chase" the threads for you when you back it off. (only added for clarity, some folks have never heard of that before).

I did purchase some additional wire in order to wire it they way I wanted. Its connected to the battery using the wiring harness and relay, with the switch mounted on the dash. Ran the wires along the chassis and up thru the bottom of the ROPS and out the factory hole in the top of the ROPS. It was pretty easy to do.

ROPS Lights switch.JPG

Wiring it that way, I can turn the lights on with ignition off. The switch included in the kit will glow bright red when the lights are on.

YMMV

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: A major issue we found with long consistent use is over heating.

That's just very poor 'engineering in the design'

re: The microprocessor controlled thermistors help to constantly monitor the temperature of the LED to ensure brightness and longevity.

Please explain ' microprocessor controlled thermistors ' as I've never heard of such a device

Also, do you use constant voltage or constant current to drive your LEDS ?

MuttCat

Apr 9, 2017
Dorloo, NY, USA
Not much to add here, but I found this thread interesting. And welcome to the forum.

This winter I used magnets to mount rearview golf cart mirrors on my BX. They work great. Only problem, the dealer applied some sort of ceramic stuff to polish up the machine, and that stuff is slippery! It'll wear off eventually. As for lights, I have OEM work lights on my ROPS. Not great, but sufficient.

How about a light bar for the Colorado ZR2? I could use that for fogs.

Good luck. I like initiative.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I never cared for ROPS-mounted lights. They attracted bugs in warm weather that made operating the tractor less enjoyable. They also caused glare in my glasses because the ROPS was slightly behind me.

I did have aux lights mounted on fenders, loader frames and grille guards that eliminated the glare, kept the bugs farther away from my head and still provided sufficient light to do work at night. The cabs on the two most recent tractors allowed mounting lights at the roof and did away with glare and bugs. With the L4240 I also mounted lights on the grille guard in in the loader mount tubes (that stay on the tractor with the loader removed). Most times when I mow after dark, the cab-mounted lights lighting the hood are a distraction, so I kill them.

The LED's I use are Maxxima MWL42 for the cab (front and back), and the grille guard. The side lights are small cubes that fit into the tubes mentioned. I think I was paying around $60 each for the MWL42's at the time. Flood pattern is the only thing used on my tractors for good full coverage. There's no benefit for me to use spots or something that illuminates the area for 1//4 mile ahead. Top speed for the L4240 is around 18MPH - and a whole lot less when mowing:)

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users
D

Deleted member 47704

Do you have anything that would work to mount a rifle scabbard?

Baja Designs

Equipment
Mar 31, 2022
California
Hello Greensvillejay,
Great questions,

Yes, I agree bad design, that is why unlike most other brands we don't use the conventional aluminum boards we use copper. The cost saved vs the quality is not worth cheaping out on the boards.

In regards to the second question. That pertains to the Microcontroller. Essentially LEDs are diodes and these diodes conduct current. LEDs give off light when a current flows through them. The amount of light given off will be proportional to the current that flows through it. As a result our boards have a microprocessor controlled thermistors built in to help regulate the current flow to help prevent over heating.

I am not totally sure what you are asking, "Also, do you use constant voltage or constant current to drive your LEDS ?" Can you please elaborate and I will talk to our engineering department and get back to you with an answer.

Best,
Brock Brunkhorst

Baja Designs

Equipment
Mar 31, 2022
California
Not much to add here, but I found this thread interesting. And welcome to the forum.

This winter I used magnets to mount rearview golf cart mirrors on my BX. They work great. Only problem, the dealer applied some sort of ceramic stuff to polish up the machine, and that stuff is slippery! It'll wear off eventually. As for lights, I have OEM work lights on my ROPS. Not great, but sufficient.

How about a light bar for the Colorado ZR2? I could use that for fogs.

Good luck. I like initiative.

Hello Muttcat,

Thanks for the insight,
What year is your colorado ZR2? Those are sweet trucks!

Best,
Brock Brunkhorst

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re: micro controlled thermistors. I've never,ever heard of them so I'd like to know more about them

most designs for LED controllers are constant voltage, not constant current..just curious which method you use. The latter is how LEDS actually work, the former is an expensive 'cheat'

Baja Designs

Equipment
Mar 31, 2022
California
re: micro controlled thermistors. I've never,ever heard of them so I'd like to know more about them

most designs for LED controllers are constant voltage, not constant current..just curious which method you use. The latter is how LEDS actually work, the former is an expensive 'cheat'
Hello Greensvillejay,

Our leds are constant current just spoke to engineering
Best,
Brock Brunkhorst

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
good, that's how I've always designed controllers for them for the past 5 decades.
Actually still have some running from then.

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Hello everyone,
I wanted to reach out to the community on the forum and ask what their favorite/reliable company is for ROP (roll over protection system) auxiliary light brackets.

Just for background, We are USA based company Baja Designs, that specializes in lighting upgrades for many different industries.

I was curious to hear what brackets the community felt best fit/secured your ROP auxiliary lighting?
Thanks for all the answers

Best,
Brock Brunkhorst | Baja Designs
I us d Magnets. I will eventually put a canopy on and will need to move the front light bar.