ROP noise

Knott

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2015 BX2670-1, BX2755HD Snow Blower, Farmking 4' box Blade, BX 2760A Plow Blade
Jun 2, 2015
Manitoba
ROPS are like helmets, it is your choice to use them or not. We can sit in our chairs & type at each other all day with no result but to increase our own blood pressure.
Our own choice will only make use happy.:)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Your right Knott !! But I have seen too many accidents and fatal's on strip jobs and construction sites in the mining industry, that I can only imagine what could happen if someone takes theirs off or modifies it in some way. Like the old saying goes,, Ya pays your money and Ya takes your chances. OH and I use both!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
ROPS are like helmets, it is your choice to use them or not. We can sit in our chairs & type at each other all day with no result but to increase our own blood pressure.
Our own choice will only make use happy.:)
True - true.....

motorcycle riders that dont wear helmets very rarely get to talk about the accident .....

Un ROPS tractors in a roll over , those people only get there name in the paper too.....

to each his/her own......

then again......stupid is as stupid does!!!!:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'm curious, do I need to install all the safety switches that are available on new tractors on my L305 to make it safe?

The consumer products safety comission has governed blade TIP speed for several years and the maximum blade tip speed is 19,200 feet per minute. How did we survive before government told us how to live? :)

Knott

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2015 BX2670-1, BX2755HD Snow Blower, Farmking 4' box Blade, BX 2760A Plow Blade
Jun 2, 2015
Manitoba
The sad truth is that most safety regulations are not there to protect us, but to protect the manufactures from us. Even with all the safety equipment in place, the safety rules firmly point the finger of blame on the operator, As in " he circumvented the rules or altered the equipment so it's not our fault". Sad but true.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Saddly you maybe more right than you think,but as a JAFO way back when i started in enforcement one old Inspector told me,, Boy every law in that book has been written with someones blood, And in 30 some years I have seen operators do really stupid things and get away with it and some poor schmuck mess up one time and pay for it big time,, And I have seem others that citations were issued on, because the operator was clearly in the wrong, and their family sued the manufacture and won,,, go figure

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Years back, I was heavily involved in the SCCA and I also volunteered. I was head of the PAS (post Accident Scrutineering) which meant my job was to go over a car after an incident and identify areas that may of hurt the driver for the trauma team to look for, to identify what needed to be repaired before the car could be on the track again and look for weak points in construction.
I butted heads with a lot of teams about not letting a design go on the track or dispute the integrity of repair. I have seen a few of these result in a bad way. Fortunately, there were never any suits that I got sucked into. But there have been a few in the racing world that the gall of the people to bring them amazes me.
My rule has been, safety first. It does not mean you will be 100% safe. It just means you may be safer than the careless. I think about power saws before I fire them up. I watch stabilizers go down. Bucket swings. I still screw up. But I am sure a lot less than if I were careless.
My neighbor took a safety stop off a table saw because it 'was a hassle'. He then lost a thumb.

TurboFire Orange

Oct 2, 2015
South
The question remains,

"Any negative effect (on 3 point hitch geometry)
from moving stabilizer turnbuckles
a couple of inches from factory position on ROPS?"

I could use one of the ROPS bolt holes.

Last edited:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
The question remains,

"Any negative effect (on 3 point hitch geometry)
from moving stabilizer turnbuckles
a couple of inches from factory position on ROPS?"

I could use one of the ROPS bolt holes.
Your ROPS does not fold? Or are you thinking to remove the folding bar AND the bottom, fixed points?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Please explain to me if you would be so kind,,WHY ?? do you want to move them there,, I really kinda cornfuzed

snowman1

Equipment
BX25-Post hole digger-back blade
May 27, 2013
windfield pa
Filled the rops yesterday with great stuff. really made a world of difference.No more ear muffs

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Snowman how did you fill the ROPS?
skeets,

i think he drilled two holes high and low - big hole (like 1/4" for the great stuff to go in, and 1/16" hole to allow air pressure out) - I think

snowman1

Equipment
BX25-Post hole digger-back blade
May 27, 2013
windfield pa
I folded the rops and sprayed from the top down on the bottom half. After the bottom half dried I drilled a hole one on each side at the very top of the top half.and sprayed in each hole till full. if you put to much in . next day it will look like your ROPS in growing mushrooms.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Only need 2 holes at the base and a vent hole at the top. In fact, if I had to do it again I would only drill two holes. Fill from one hole and I'm pretty sure the foam would make it all the way up around and down to to the other side. I thought it would start to harden before it could get all the way to the top but NOPE. That stuff just kept going and going. I had mushrooms at the top of mine the next day too! Great news is once it dries you can just pull it and it comes off the ROPS clean with no residue.

I filled mine from the bottom of each side and it filled it's way right up to the top on both sides. See my build thread for a few pictures:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16065&page=5

Eldubya

Equipment
B7800FEL Bck hoe Box scraper Post auger Field rake
Apr 14, 2014
Quadra Island BC
I had the same issue with rattling noise. Bugged me from the first minute I had the machine.
Simple solution:
Made two wedges out of hardwood (think doorstop like), tapped them nice and firm into the gaps at the pivot point of the ROPS.

VIOLA!!
Integrity of ROPS is not compromised in any way.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I did as was suggested tightening up the bolts and most of the noise went away. I thought about filling with foam and may do so next summer. How many cans of foam does it take to fill it. Those who have done this do you have any trouble with water logged foam if tractor is left out side. I just finished up my new stablizers today and the paint is drying. I will put them on tomorrow. I made a set of tubular ones that slide using one of a NH as a pattern